Trying to flash Bios 980M (SLI Configuration) Guide seems outdated

Trying to follow this guide to flash 980 M (SLI CONFIG) but I am getting a mismatch error. 

The NVFlash version linked in the tutorial seems outdated - Since its 32 bit and doesn't seem to find my card info - So I used the latest version and had no issue up to: 

nvflash -6 vbiosname.rom

at this point I get this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>c:\nvflash64.exe -i0 -6 c:\flash.rom

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.353.0)
Simplified Version For OEM Only
Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: GeForce GTX 980M     (10DE,1617,1558,0871) H:--:NRM  S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible PCI Device ID's
match the PCI Device ID of the adapter.
Adapter PCI Device ID:        1617
Firmware image PCI Device ID: 13D7
WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.110B)
  does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1558.0871).
WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible Board ID's
match the Board ID of the adapter.
Adapter Board ID:        E923
Firmware image Board ID: E906
NOTE: Exception caught.
Nothing changed!

ERROR: GPU mismatch

I read up and some say don't try and force it.....Could somebody please tell me what to do at this point?

I think I found my Answer?

Sadly, I think the link to the vbios I need, is broken.  I can not find the gtx 980m (DM) vbios that works anywhere. I've tried almost every vbios that that could potentially work. I give up for the night. I been at this for hours.  

This is my computer if anyone should respond: p870dm-g 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by IAmNotReallyHere86

Thank you @Spellbound that worked.

kind of bummed that I'm limited by my psu tho. I was really hoping 330w would have a little more headroom. I managed to overclock but I couldn't get to where I wanted without my PSU overheating. 

Thanks again!!

You're welcome. Eurocom are selling a 780w psu. Perhaps that would be useful to you.

Prema mod vbios V2 off his site worked fine for me a few months ago ? I used gsync version as that matches my hardware

I had to cap the 6700K to 60W and run a -100mhz underclock on my 980Ms to not trip overcurrent on my 330W before I got a joiner in (I already had two other 330Ws from my Clevo collection)

First thing I did was see how high I could get it, 606W from the wall is pretty good I think :)

@bennyg Have you heard anything about future upgrades for this model? Do you think the 1070 upgrade would be worth it ? I figure I could sell these cards for 500 a piece and upgrade to the 1070 and still have a little extra cash. I really thought when I purchased this PC more AAA games would be SLI compatible. Well I was wrong. FORZA 3 Horizon for example doesn't take advantage of SLI. Which is the reason I have to overclock. I managed to get 1080 ultra @ 54-60 frames which is good enough, after overclocking. otherwise I drop down to low 40s.

I seen eurocom talking about a possible gtx 1080 upgrade for this model but so far nothing. 

@bennyg Have you heard anything about future upgrades for this model? Do you think the 1070 upgrade would be worth it ? I figure I could sell these cards for 500 a piece and upgrade to the 1070 and still have a little extra cash. I really thought when I purchased this PC more AAA games would be SLI compatible. Well I was wrong. FORZA 3 Horizon for example doesn't take advantage of SLI. Which is the reason I have to overclock. I managed to get 1080 ultra @ 54-60 frames which is good enough, after overclocking. otherwise I drop down to low 40s.

I seen eurocom talking about a possible gtx 1080 upgrade for this model but so far nothing.

1070 has been done months ago, uses the MSI card. You can use either 980M heatsink or the bigger 980 desktop heatsink with mods. I suggest looking on eBay and contacting the seller (woodstack666) to ask your options

Overall power is similar to 980M in SLI which is why I haven't bothered myself (I've only run into SLI issues in a couple games myself) but yes you could recoup most of the cost by selling your 980Ms

Gecube in china is soon going to start making a 1070 that will be cheaper than the MSI. I suggest you look up the Nvidia 10 series discussion thread on notebookreview forums to track that

My question was have you heard anything on future updates.

Eurocom has already stated they are working on a gtx 1080 for this model. But  They said that months ago. Others say its not going to happen. I guess I was just hoping you heard something That I haven't already. I didnt want to upgrade to the 1070 if they get the 1080 working. 

Edited by IAmNotReallyHere86

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...