Cheapest laptop for Qubes OS

service.acc3

Question

Hello, what would be the cheapest laptop that could smoothly run 5 HVMs on Qubes OS? (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Ubuntu and Linux)

Should I look for strong GPU or just processor and RAM?

Thanks!

Sent from my Lenovo P70-A using Tapatalk

1 answer to this question

Well this is something that you really can't cheap out on. Quebes official hardware support list is here and as you probably guessed its limited. As you can see there are only about 5 laptops with 7th gen intel processors that qubes supports to some degree. However, you are really lucky that the XPS 15 9560 is on that list! I would definitely suggest going for it as my sister has one and it's really amazing. Also it is one of the only ones that supports 5/6 major feature with the 6th being officially untested.  Since you are in the US wait for a sale while ebates is offering 10% cashback. You can snag the i7 1080p version with a gtx 1050 for about $1200. Just make sure to completely test your laptop as it has some quality control issues but returns are easy so I wouldn't worry too much. 

ps. The 1050 won't work on qubes so maybe you can get the i5 integrated graphics chip version for $900 with ebates + sale

Edited by codes