Y500 Main VGA flash

ibennz

Hi fellows, been a while. Today I inquiry about y500 from lenovo (gt650m). I curious about how the VGA (main gpu, not the ultrabay) worked, is it part of the bios itself ? Or i can flash it apart ? I want to restore it back to its original form. Lately the computer have problem on the reboot (causing BSOD and somehow no minidump/dump logs) , the error itself is quite confusing as i state : Driver failed to stop (I removed the auto-reboot on BSOD) , so I manually press the reset button to proceed. To my surprise , the computer enter some kind of loop where each time it BSOD but this time with : no_main_drive found, as if the hdd was removed. After a hard reset,  it works almost normally. I noticed excessively long boot and shutdown time (same as reboot), was assuming the modified bios was faulty (now reverted to the original using insyde flash tool) which left me wondering if the gpu had not it's own bios (assumed it was shared).

Thank you all, i will provide screenshots if needed.

10 hours ago, NumCo said:

Witch GPU should I Flash to get modded bios working? I haven't have any success yet.

As IR1 stated, the gpu and cpu share a common bios. Follow sl7 tuts and it will work. If you have a sli configuration, flash the 2nd vga afterward using the proper bin, I had successfully flashed my gt750m5 card with a custom rom of the gt650m (thanks to sl7) and got them to work in SLI (using modified nvidia driver, thanks again to sl7) issues being nvidia updates.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2017 at 7:32 PM, ibennz said:

Posting an update, I found it that the faulty part was the extra ssd (which is 15gb or so), removing it solved my problems.

Ah, this issue! I am not sure where I first learned about this, but I ran into the same issue about 2 months after I bought my Y500, a few years ago. I must have been extremely unlucky for it to die on me so quickly! At least you got some amount of use out of it.

If I remember correctly, the SSD in these laptops is used together with the HDD sort of like a hybrid drive, but it's apparently prone to failure, resulting in extremely long boot/reboot/shut down times and constant 100% HDD usage reported in task manager. Removing the SSD, back then, solved my issue, no other changes necessary. Results in slightly slower boot times, etc., without the boost from the SSD "cache", understandably, but otherwise runs perfectly fine.

At the time, I had not modified or messed with my Y500 in any way, so your modifications/flashing of the BIOS were not the cause of the SSD failure. I hope this is helpful/reassuring to know!