Studio 1737 display upgrade?

What? Another Dell laptop? How many does he have? Just four, for now. <VBEG> People leave these in the free electronics pile at the local landfill transfer station. (Core 2 quad tower with Radeon HD GPU, 8 gig and 1TB? Of course I'll snag that!)

This one is a Dell Studio 1737. I've only two things to ask on it. What was the highest resolution display on offer and what's the best CPU it can take?

In another case of Dell offering satin beige paint on a sports car, this one also has the icky 1366x768 resolution. Made all the uglier by being 17". I can see the pixels! I'm having CRT monitor flashbacks! Why, Dell, why did you do this to your flagship products? Take a cue from Carrol Shelby, "mandatory options". If you buy the high end, you aren't allowed to have the worst display.