ThunderBolt 3 Enclosure to ThunderBolt 2 laptop?

HunterAP

Saw some implementations of using a TB2 enclosure (like the Akitio Thunder2) and plugging it into a TB3 capable laptop. My question is if the reverse can work (so TB3 enclosure to TB2 port on the laptop).

I currently have a TB2 capable G46VW, but I wouldn't want to have a TB2 enclosure if I ever decide to get a newer laptop in the future with TB3 (even if a TB2 enclosure would be cheaper).

• 1 month later...

I think the TB2 enclosure you mention is the more economical short term way. TB2 devices can be used on TB3 but it's not vice versa, unfortunately.

Otherwise, if you can afford it, then upgrading your computer would be the best way. ASUS laptops with Thunderbolt 3 and NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 TI are economical right now, and one with a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 under $1000 can usually be found on ebay. The performance increase is really worth it with at minimum five times the frame rate, and if you don't upgrade again for 3 years, then the laptop and the enclosure will be around $30 a month over thirty six months.

akitio-t3t-connectivity.jpg

Edited by June

i have seen people post videos on youtube with working tb3 enclosures on tb2 laptops. i have such a setup and although i have yet to get it working, i can confirm that the device manager does see the graphics card