upgrade internal sound?

So i was wondering, if it's possible to just switch out the subwoofer and speakers of my clevo P157sm with something more decent?. I'm aware that i'd probably need to mod a bit since other speakers clearly won't fit but if I put in new speakers, would it damage my mainboard or the speakers in any way?

If not then I'm considering it, since the sound from some MSI, Dell and Toshiba notebooks are really decent and cost almost nothing on ebay and such.

A big part of the better sound is bigger sound chambers for each speaker, aka the enclosure, and if you swap only  the speakers and keep the original Clevo enclosures it will sound the same..

I find funny that what as a couple years ago a normal speaker is called a sub, my Asus N53SM had speakers in the 5cm diameter range, bigger than the "sub" in mi MSI and ROG G750 lel..

The sub will need an extra amplified output that is also filtered/EQ'ed to just emit lower frequencies so you cant just drop a sub into a laptop that doesn't have one.

So what do you suggest to improve the internal sound?

Also the issue I also face here is that I am not entirely sure what to get. I mean my clevo has 2.2watt speakers but I have no idea about how high the resistance is(ohm). Since i've seen speakers with 4ohm and others with 8ohm. I'm not an electrician so I'm not entirely sure if it matters in the long run what i build into it. So I would appreciate some input on that.

Also what should I look for when looking for better speakers? I want somewhat decent quality, since my current speakers sound really tinny and are very weak. I am well aware that if I wanted really decent sound quality i'd have to go for an external solution but I want it to be as portable as possible and it just have to sound somewhat decent.

• 2 weeks later...

Match the ohm rating of the new speakers to the old ones.

After that, maybe try to find some full range 1 inch drivers, maybe something like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w1-1828sa-1-neodymium-full-range-driver--264-883

Dont know how much space you have, then get some extra speaker enclosures and hack the new drivers into them.

The idea is really interesting, I had never thought of it.

I think yes, at the time saw that the motherboard amplifies the sound, it would be interesting to know how many Watt per speaker it delivers?

On the other hand I think you will find your happiness in spare parts for other portable (the ebay for example?) Reason why this format is not the norm.

• 1 month later...

In theory it is vey possible. If you can get a grip on Lenovo y700's speaker+subwoofer set, (jbl) and you can manage the space to fit them in, it would be a worthy hardware mod upgrade for speakers.

Or you can do a cheap software hack n use  JBL GO (tiny but decent sound) as a portable subwoofer  by audio out duplicating via a virtual jack software and redirecting it over bluetooth.