unrealmitch

14" DELL 5430 + RX 480[8GB]@4Gbps EC2 (EXP GDC V8.4d) + Win10 [UnrealMitch]

First, hello! Although I am new here, I have been a long time following this forum, and without all of you this hasn't been possible,so thank you!

• System:
    • Hardware
      • Dell 5430 14"
      • Core i5 3320M
      • 8GB RAM (1x1600Mhz)
      • iGPU Intel HD 4000
  • Software
    • Win 10 Pro 64-bit Versión 10.0.14393 [UEFI]
    • GPU Driver AMD Radeon 17.2.1 (non-whql)
  • EGPU
  • Configuration
    • Just connect the egpu to PC via ExpressCard (PSU ON & PC Off), turn on the PC, and GPU was detected and it worked. [PTD: Off]
  • Others:
    • With 16.12.2 Drivers have some better performance, but my screen blinks sometimes
    • Freesync works well
    • This test have some OC to have similar performance that with whql drivers
    • Video demo:  

• Hardware Info:
    • Spoiler

GPUz & CPUz:

A8LlpQO.png   EAYNB3f.png

HWInfo (GPU & CPU)

asUX89Z.png

HWInfo (GPU)

K7SmpOo.png

HWInfo (Bus GPU)

ka9sSbz.png

AMD Config:

fmQA1iK.png

8JY2Aia.png

i6xuH9G.png

• TEST & BenchMark
    • 3DMark TimeSpy 1.0 3242 (GPU:3920) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18115631
    • 3DMark FIRE STRIKE 1.1 7375 (GPU:12996) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18115814
    • Ungine Heaven 4.0 [Basic]: 3025 [Extreme]: 1495
    • Ungine Valley 1.0 [Extreme HD]: 1933
    • Games [FRAPS - 5Min ingame]:
    • Game [1080] FPS AVG FPS Min FPS Max Config
      The Witcher 41.66 28 52 Ultra
      GTA V 23.66 13 38 Maximun Setting [Mod Cars]
      GTA V 32.2 20 72 High
      Skyrim 59 35 63 Ultra [Mod ENB Photorealistic]

• Screenshots Bench:
    Spoiler

fpvQ929.png

ItHeR3h.png

gMEyk0b.png

vaGxqub.png

xThelkV.png

Edited by unrealmitch
  • Thumbs Up 1

great results. Dell e5430 is a cheap laptop and it can provide very good results with EGPU. Wonder if E5430 can handle i7 quad core?

2 hours ago, alternal_steam said:

great results. Dell e5430 is a cheap laptop and it can provide very good results with EGPU. Wonder if E5430 can handle i7 quad core?

I'm not sure ... you can use till i7-3940XM (3Ghz- 3.9Ghz Turbo), although the problem here are the temperatures, laptop can't handle the TDP of this CPU (55W vs the 35W of 3320M), maybe can handle i7-3635QM (45W) with some throttling. I think that all i7 with 35W of TDP, it's just dual core. And now I have the i5 with a bit of OC and reach the 90, so I guess that it can't handle a quad-core without throttling (at least, without mods).

Edited by unrealmitch

1 hour ago, alternal_steam said:

i7 3612qm is 35w. Go ahead for it.

Wow nice! And it isn't so expensive, i found by 125€ - 120$, sounds good! But I bought other laptop last week :sad:. I'll give the laptop to my brother, so maybe he want change it.

Hello  unrealmitch - I have the same laptop and the same setup - could you please tell more about what exactly you did to make everything work?

Thanks in advance

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mnky313
      To anyone wondering about eGPUs on M6700s, its not too complicated, there is just a process that must be done on boot every time:
      You need to have the eGPU connected and powered on before booting the laptop, once you get to the Intel RAID screen disconnect the eGPU and wait for windows to load up, once windows is loaded reconnect the eGPU and you *should* be able to use it and be able to hot-swap it (though you should disable it in windows before unplugging it) installing the normal AMD drivers worked fine for me, though the original release of Adrenaline 19.1 blue screened the first time.
      I usually run with 3 1080p monitors attached to the 480, replaced my old i5 desktop with this laptop due to the convenience of storing everything on one machine, the laptop has a 256gb SSD and 2x 750GB hdds in raid 0, there is a 2TB WD black attached to the eSATA on the dock.
      eGPU and external HDD are powered by a 500W evga desktop ATX psu, the EXP GDC's ATX power adapter was clunky and broke while trying to use it, so I just plugged in a CPU 4 pin cable upside down to power it, not worried about it because the bulk of power is coming from the 8 pin on the GPU anyway.
      https://imgur.com/a/L2UUSL2
    • By SnipeKing17
      The GPU works, The PSU works, The system works. [individually they all do work]

The system works perfectly fine without the WLAN card.

When i put the system to sleep and hotswap the mPCIe riser and WLAN press something on the keyboard.. Restarts.
      Will shutdown in roughly 27 seconds for those 27 seconds it works just fine like how it normally would on external monitor.

When i shut it down and plug the riser and switch it on, same story. 27 seconds.

I don't even see a error. I get to login screen directly. I used DDU already.

I timed it. no matter what i do if i use the eGPU, External monitor it restarts instead of pause-play. I have 27 seconds.

Need help!
    • By Kel
      I got the exp gdc beast 8.5 got all the connections right... laptop boots up... fans turn on the gpu.... device manager detects gtx 1060 with a “ ! “ in a yellow triangle. Now what to do.... i tried to do the bios mod.... but realised that i have 3.07 version. 
      Questions-
      1 is there any way to get this done without the mod?? 
      2 if mod is the only way... kindly help me with step by step instruction in laymans terms... i m not a techy... so i might not understand technical terms.... altho i am interested... but learning yet. Please help. 
    • By Buratos
      Привет. Помогите, мне грустно.
      Существует clevo p150em, недавно обновленный с 7970 до 8970 м (от 150 см)
      Bios, R.2.0 / 1.02.17EC v3b / 1.02.11EC.
      Когда он был установлен 7970 м, в BIOS на линии gpu это было 7970 м. После установки 8970m, NVIDIA пишет вместо 8970m.
      Драйверы на 8970m не установлены, либо синий экран, либо ноутбук замерзает. Windows 10 1713.
      Я пробовал разные версии драйверов, все равно. Что вы посоветуете?
      8970m vbios  VER015.041.000.000.044964 BR44964.009 it s DELL? 

ps. when I bought 7970m for a place of 670m. At 7970m there was also a problem with the drivers, but I somehow skipped it.
    • By Drozof
      Has any company out there launched a laptop with an external MXM port? 

Just curious since with the boom in the gaming laptop market and some companies launching eGPU thunderbolt enclosures, isnt the MXM faster?

Is it because of licensing issues? or hardware problems?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.