Disabling Toshiba 30 minute timer after CPU upgrade

senso

Good evening, is there a way to disable what is supposed to be the Intel Anti Theft protection in a Toshiba Pro C850 laptop, the stock CPU is a Celeron B830, and I've an i7-2630qm laying around, as expect, works OK, temps are great, but as expected after 30 minutes the laptop just shuts down, is there a way to disable this kind of stupid limitation?

Best regards.

EDIT:

Well, going a bit easier than expected..

The update BIOS contains the ME_FW already in a separated file, so I opened it up with FITC 8.1.10.1286 and Intel Anti-Theft is disabled and I can't see any obvious timeout values or timers/watchdogs :/

Any ideias if I'm doing things wrong, or is it some magic bit in the clock/ICC profile that disables this thingy?

Attached is the ME_FW if anyone wants to take a peek.

Thanks afain.

F8_ME_FW.zip

Edited by senso

• Bios Modder

Hi!

The Mobile Intel HM70 Express chipset which is available in your notebook supports only the Pentium or Celeron brand processors from the Intel microarchitectures code named Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge.

You could try using "ME Cleaner" on a dump of your ME firmware, it might remove any cpu checking code if you're lucky. You can get the program from here: https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner and there is a guide to use it here: http://hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, thanks for the links, but the laptop was already returned to my friend(the owner), I found a B950, and after going into Device Manager and removing the CPU and rebooting it recognized the new CPU clock speed, added 4GB of RAM and a new 1TB HGST HDD, clean install of Windows and a cleaned heatsink, its ready for another couple years of Facebook and Spotify, if he ever wants I will try that, because I have a dozen i7's laying around from broken laptops that are just gattering dust in my desk :(