Prema Mod BIOS for P170EM with GTX970M

hoani

Hi,

I have upgraded my P170EM with a 970M a couple of years ago. I used the vBIOS from @Prema and his v2 BIOS.

Has shown on many thread, the v3 bios is not public and I have to stick with the v2 so I modded my infs for upgrading my nvidia drivers.

Upgrading from win7 to win10 was quite difficult and after many tries and fails, I managed to get a v359.13 version working properly.

I modded the inf by myseft experiencing methods grabbed from many sources. I must say that this is not as simple as some says... Every version, the infs to be modded changes and sometimes it works, sometime it don't.

I then try to work with @J95, posting my difficulties on his inf mod dedicated thread.

All his releases are dedicated to "non-optimus" clevo laptop and thus are not working out of the box with my P170EM. He kindly tried many hacks to make his modded drivers work with the P170EM without success.

The only thing that work completly today is the v359.13.... And I had to revert back from the win10 anniversary edition to have at least the discrete GPU to be active. All my tries on drivers differents from 359.13 on non-anniversary edition of win10 would have the dx10/11 not working on discrete GPU or the dx9 not working on discrete GPU.

I can't count the hours I spent DDU my drivers, modding, trying, failing, retring.... This is a real hassle. Now I don't even want to try the new driver... But sometime I need to upgrade, especially for the optimisation available for the new games I can buy.

That's why I'm asking @Prema whether he could think about releasing the v3 BIOS for P170EM public ? I would also be OK with the option to be able to purchase it for a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance for your reply !

Looking further in my problem revealed that I did not applied the v2 update of the VBIOS ROM, I was still on v1.1... This made a huge difference, now I'm on 378.66 which installed very smoothly !

Sorry for the complain :) and thanks for Prema for his work.

Wish the v3 BIOS for P170EM would be public soon anyway ;) 

8 hours ago, hoani said:

Looking further in my problem revealed that I did not applied the v2 update of the VBIOS ROM, I was still on v1.1... This made a huge difference, now I'm on 378.66 which installed very smoothly !

Sorry for the complain :) and thanks for Prema for his work.

Wish the v3 BIOS for P170EM would be public soon anyway ;) 

I have the same setup, could u post the gpuz/drivers versions for both intel and nvidia you are using. Im pretty sure im on v2 but the max drivers i can get working are the 368.68

1 hour ago, j3tstream said:

I have the same setup, could u post the gpuz/drivers versions for both intel and nvidia you are using. Im pretty sure im on v2 but the max drivers i can get working are the 368.68

The procedure I've applied :

• Boot in failsafe mode
  • DDU nVidia/Intel drivers
  • Update VBIOS to v2 (ignoring the alert regarding the difference on the PCI signature)
  • Reboot in signature enforcement disabled mode
  • Installed Intel HD-4000 15.33.43.4425 (last version of the driver)
  • Followed J95 instructions to install 378.66 version of nvidia drivers
  • Reboot
  • Installed CUDA 8 with GEForce Experience (need it for remote play)

Please note that I'm on Windows 10 "non-anniversary" version, because I blocked the update. I plan to test the anniversary edition this week-end with 378.66.

Thanks, meanwhile I think i figured out what was wrong, I have been using modded infs from laptopvideo2go. The ones from J95 always said clevo non optimus and mine suposedly has optimus so I didnt pay attention. I imagined the infs would be pretty much the same but turns out that for p170em u cannot install drivers above 368.81 with a simple inf mod. U need the 2 inf files that J95  provided. I could only test this yesterday because i didnt have promotion even though I thought I had been in this forum for ages I had posted enough. I am on same driver as you and same bios. On the benchmarks I ran (The division, Batman Arkham knight and 3dmark) 378.66 is maybe 1% better ocasionally but otherwise the same. That means there is no point in hanging back and staying on 368.69 anymore. (this youtuber pato9 makes driver comparisons and has been sugesting .69 for ages for performance)

That said the newest drivers have the same performance and added optimizations on many games since .69 it is.

Btw I dont think all intel drivers are as compatible, Im on windows 10 build15025, I let windows install the drivers first and then I paused updates and fresh installed Nvidia drivers. The drivers for intel that windows installed and so far working great are the 10.18.10.4358. latest intel drivers didnt let me go past 368.81 but might have been the infs, so ill test it again when my windows updates to a newer build. cba to do more testing now, just happy to have this working and ...on to test vulkan just for fun.

Tldr: My best performance setup for clevo p170em + 970m 6gb:
Win10 pro 10.0.1.15025, Intel 10.18.10.4358, Nvidia 378.66 (with J95 modded infs, laptopvideo2go ones didnt work when i tested vs latest intel/nvidia drivers). 

Edit: nope vulkan still fails to launch properly, talos gives me a grey screen and dota2 opens but shows the desktop. Both suposedly start properly and have  background sound except no image is displayed.

Edited by j3tstream

• 2 months later...

Hi there.

Is there any full proof method to update the nvidia drivers or to MOD the INF files with the most recent drivers? I used to have problems installing this drivers on windows 10 but on windows 7 not so much. But latelly even on windows 7 there is no garantee that the driver installs with all the functionality full on.

And i thing I'm getting basically the same performance on my 980m on my P150EM as the 970m on my girfriend P651SE :/

Thanks

• 5 months later...

This is EXACTLY what im experiencing at P151EM(=P150EM w/o keyboard backlight),

At every windows 10 build update my ex-GPU doesnt starts to work but only integrated(aka intel)'s.

What should i do? im really mad af about this issue.

• 3 months later...
On 28.10.2017 at 2:14 AM, Kracy said:

This is EXACTLY what im experiencing at P151EM(=P150EM w/o keyboard backlight),

At every windows 10 build update my ex-GPU doesnt starts to work but only integrated(aka intel)'s.

What should i do? im really mad af about this issue.

Do you deactivate the driver check ? Here a text in German, but i think you understand it.

https://www.deskmodder.de/wiki/index.php/Treibersignatur_deaktivieren_Unsignierte_Treiber_installieren_Windows_10

REGARDS