Upgrade to GTX 680M vs Firepro M6100

rummenagu

Hi all,

I want upgrade my GPU but I have doubts about wath to get:

FIREPRO M6100 --> 150EUR

GTX 680M --> 250EUR

I think that the best choice is the GTX680M but the price is more expensive but I don´t know if the performance&compatibility difference between them worth it.

ALIENWARE M15x

PSU150W

8GB RAM

Thank you.

Edited by rummenagu

I suppose you will use it for gaming?

You would be disappointed by choosing the amd firepro.

Have you heard of Nidia quadro?

These types of graphics cards aren't meant for gaming. 

This is workstation graphics cards.

Typical use is for photo, video, graphic designs, rendering you name it.

A long story short, it is not optimized for gaming.

Another question, what card do you have now???

12 hours ago, Henrik9979 said:

I suppose you will use it for gaming?

You would be disappointed by choosing the amd firepro.

Have you heard of Nidia quadro?

These types of graphics cards aren't meant for gaming. 

This is workstation graphics cards.

Typical use is for photo, video, graphic designs, rendering you name it.

A long story short, it is not optimized for gaming.

Another question, what card do you have now???

My actual GPU is GTX260M.

I will use it for gaming. I know or think that GTX680M is better card to gaming that M6100 but I don´t know if the price difference worth for the performance in gaming.

I don´t heard about Nvidia Quadro but I´m looking for Ebay and the prices are expensive, I don´t know how is the performance.

Edited by rummenagu

3 hours ago, rummenagu said:

My actual GPU is GTX260M.

I will use it for gaming. I know or think that GTX680M is better card to gaming that M6100 but I don´t know if the price difference worth for the performance in gaming.

I don´t heard about Nvidia Quadro but I´m looking for Ebay and the prices are expensive, I don´t know how is the performance.

Don't go for Nidia quarto because it is also just for workstations. Of cause you can game on a firepro and a quadro but you can also game on the Intel processor. But what they have in common in is they ain't meant for gaming! So you will not get a very good gaming experience.

So DO NOT buy a Nvidia quadro or Amd Firepro for gaming.

If you don't want the nvidia gtx 680m you can look for an amd 7970m or and 8970m.

But if your alienware is nvidia 3D vision ready and have a 120hz screen, then you are stuck on nvidia. Amd will not even work.

The amd 6990M is pretty outdated. And the ones I can find on eBay is too overpriced.

Of course I forget you are on a gtx 260m and the 6990m is VERY good if you compare these two.

Gtx 260m vs 6990m = 210%

6990m vs 7970m = 51%

7970m vs gtx 680m = 2%

680m vs gtx 8970m= 2%

• Thumbs Up 1

I can get it (6990M) to 100EUR aprox. and the improvement would be quite but since I've decided to upgrade my GPU I'd rather pay a little more to get a better card. Budget aprox. 150-175EUR but I don´t find GTX680 niether 7970M by these price. I'll keep looking. 

Due to my tight budget I decided to go for the M6100 but I you advise me a bad gaming experience with it,  I'll leave it

Edited by rummenagu

21 hours ago, Henrik9979 said:

I know its bit off you budget, but I found this.

Amd R9 m290x is a re-branded 8970m. It is the same card.

Another card you can look for is an gtx 770m

About gtx 770m, I think that exits a problem with IDT audio to install it. Not problem, but ... the choice R9 M290X I like it but I think that It have not native fan control but I like your idea although it bit off my budget,

Okay if you want the least hassle solution, go for a gtx 680m. It is very strong, and very stable. (That's the reason for the high price)

Anyway go for the ones that is branded clevo not dell.

What you also need to be prepared for, is how to edit the nvdmi.inf file inside the nvidia driver and how to disable driver signature.

Of course 7970m and 8970m is good too, but editing the .inf file is a bit more complicated, and there is a bigger chance you need to install a vbios.

To help you out a little, here is a tutorial on how to do a .inf mod:

http://null-bin.blogspot.dk/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html?m=1

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi @Henrik9979

I could to get a Dell M9 R290X. Could have any problem with it  and my M15x? I have read problems with the fan control (I can assume it, because it could be controlled via software) and overheating shutdown and down performance.  I fear that I can have any these problems. What do you think about it?

17 hours ago, rummenagu said:

Hi @Henrik9979

I could to get a Dell M9 R290X. Could have any problem with it  and my M15x? I have read problems with the fan control (I can assume it, because it could be controlled via software) and overheating shutdown and down performance.  I fear that I can have any these problems. What do you think about it?

I have read about this issue too. Yes you can use a software called HWinfo64 https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php to controll your fans. I have tried it many times, and you can either make your own automatic configuration on what speed the fans should spin at different temperatures. Or you can adjust it manually.

For some reason, when I try using my own automatic setting, the fans can suddenly get stuck at one speed. This is dangerous because you will not notice when you play games that the fans is running at low speed and your computer overheat.

I have tried it on two alienware systems.

So back to the graphics card. You will have those problems as you describe if you choose the R290X. So If you are going for it, read so many threads as possible, about solutions to those issues, and save those threads so you can find them again later.

I would try to avoid dell graphics card and look for clevo graphics card and avoid the r290x. Of cause if you can get the card cheap you might safe some money, but again be prepared for the issues that might follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Henrik9979

I just got a 7970M GPU. I have installed it and at the moment It seems to be fine, but I have to check the performance with games and 3DMARK 11 to know if it could get overheat, freezing, shutdowns problems.

The vBios flashed is 850/1200 0.975 and the last ATI drivers for 7970M. I don´t know if exists mod drivers for M15x-7970M

I do not know if with any modified driver the performance would be greater.  But at the moment with the last official drivers I have achieved a score P6239 in 3DMARK. Temperatures from 39 to 71 (running 3DMARK). At the moment all is good.

Edited by rummenagu