LENOVO Y500 BIOS UNLOCK AND WHITELIST REMOVAL

• Bios Modder
On ‎08‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 0:38 PM, LaRtInG said:

Hello

I got an Ideapad y500, and i wish to unlock the bios so i got the opportunity to overclock the cpu etc.

Do any of you have the modded files for the job? i run 2.04 bios.

Kind Regards

Larting 

Hi! You can try use this: 

• Bios Modder
24 minutes ago, LaRtInG said:

Hey svl7

The problem is that i don't have acces to download the flashing tool or hacked bios,

can you help me with that?

Read "User Account Promotion Rules": https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

On 2/8/2017 at 4:38 AM, LaRtInG said:

Hello

I got an Ideapad y500, and i wish to unlock the bios so i got the opportunity to overclock the cpu etc.

Do any of you have the modded files for the job? i run 2.04 bios.

Kind Regards

Larting 

You don't need to mod the bios to take advantage of the Intel Turbo Boost feature of the CPU on the IdeaPad Y500. All you need to do is get Throttlestop, set the multipliers to a suitable level below 34 that won't raise the core temperatures above 105 degrees Celsius, and uncheck the box for "BD PROCHOT". Also, I will  also mention something went wrong with the multipliers when I first used Throttlestop, and it tried to overclock my CPU to 6.0 ghz by mistake once.  I'm not sure about using speeds beyond 3.4 ghz if you are seeking to do that because I've never tried it. There are some posts I saw in Y500 unlocked bios thread about raising TDP, etc, and stuff like that:

I actually didn't get my Y500 bios mod files from here. I got them from a link someone uploaded to some website: http://thaisarn.net/clipsingle/Pk4oMcEs4MM

I did a successful bios recovery on my laptop using an LED flash drive formatted to FAT32. I used the backup I made prior to flashing the modded bios using the file name "QIWY3.BIN" and the same bios recovery method that was used to do a bios recovery for the Y510P that is described here: http://blog.jimsjump.com/2016/02/07/lenovo-y510p-v305-bios-bricked-crisis-recovery-solved/

This bios recovery method wasn't well-documented, and wasn't easy to find on the net. It was also for a Y510p, but it also works on the Y500 and Y400 if you use the right recovery name.

This should save you a lot of trouble.

Edited by PlannedObsolescence

17 hours ago, LaRtInG said:

I see, then i have to wait a week to get promoted unless i want to pay for the membership.

I downloaded some files from here as well after I was permitted to do so, but there seems to be a limit of 5 files per month. I thought my original wait time was 24 hours from the time of downloading my first 5 files, but I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

New user account promotion system that views your level of quality activity on these forums over a span of 1 week with a minimum of 5 QUALITY Posts.

They can be be replies.

Quality Posts means "Thanks", "Nice Job", "Cool" and so on will not Count to be promoted.

Just to share that i myself am not a very tech savvy person.

I found after the BIOS tweak, MSI afterburner offers the most simplified approach compared to inspector.

It is a free software, but do take care not to mess too much with the Voltage thingy. It is generally risky.

I learned that the hard way. haha. Hopefully no one falls into the same trap as me.

• 5 months later...

I am also a new member waiting to be promoted to access these files. I have an intel 7260 ac card coming in the mail next week and I was looking to prepare my bios in time for its arrival so it's just plug and play. 

anyway, I looked at the y500 white list removal thread as I was wondering how you remove the whitelist after modifying the bios. is there a particular setting you must change in the bios? or does this mod remove the whitelist automatically?

thanks

SIB

• Bios Modder
10 hours ago, suckitbych said:

I am also a new member waiting to be promoted to access these files. I have an intel 7260 ac card coming in the mail next week and I was looking to prepare my bios in time for its arrival so it's just plug and play. 

anyway, I looked at the y500 white list removal thread as I was wondering how you remove the whitelist after modifying the bios. is there a particular setting you must change in the bios? or does this mod remove the whitelist automatically?

thanks

SIB

This mod remove the whitelist automatically.

Awesome, just one more question as I am quite new to flashing bios firmware. Would I be able to flash the firmware back to 2.02 (or whatever the modified firmware version it is to remove whitelist) if I have a more current version? e.g v3.0??

Cheers

SIB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Bios Modder
1 hour ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

Hi there, I'm trying to extract my bios and I'm getting the error: fparts.txt file not found. But the file is inside the folder. Can someone help me?

Hi!

To create backup of bios you can use attached utility. Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run utility as Administrator (right click mouse, choice "Run as Administrator"). Utility will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Post here this archive "results", or upload it into any fileserver and send me the link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

or

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html