Is it true that NVIDIA works better then AMD as an egpu in Expresscard?

AdarC

Hello, finally i manage to make my AMD 6950 2gb, works as a egpu with my HP Elitebook 2570p (i7 3520m, 8gb ram 120gb ssd), i used DSDT Override and Setup 1.35.
Before the egpu, i had 15 fps in Rocketleauge (on maximum settings), and with my egpu i now have 90-100 fps, and thats pretty amazing. but the thing is that in CSGO that is my primamry game, i have a small fps diffrenece..
i have almsot same fps with or without the egpu. the only diffrence is the when im next to a smoke greande, i usally had my fps dropped to like 30 and now with the egpu i dont have these drops anymore.. but this is the only thing that it fixed. thats weird cause i belive my fps needs to doubled or even tripled(in Rockeat leauge its got 6 times better, so in csgo i expect atleast 2 or 3 times better fps..), and i heard that NVIDIA cards works better on the 1x slot (Expresscard)
is this true? what card do u recommend me to buy? i dont want to waste a lot of money on that so dont suggest 1080 GTX :D...
how about 680 GTX..? or 960GTX? or 770GTX.. 

Edited by AdarC

Are you using your eGPU in Gen1 or 2? Whats your average fps in csgo?
From what I read, Nvidia cards have some more performance in dx 11.
but I wouldn't think the difference is that much... can you check gpu load while running it?

16 hours ago, 3RYL said:

Are you using your eGPU in Gen1 or 2? Whats your average fps in csgo?
From what I read, Nvidia cards have some more performance in dx 11.
but I wouldn't think the difference is that much... can you check gpu load while running it?

in my bios settings i changed it to gen2 but im not sure my EXP GDC V8.0 does even support gen 2... my average fps is like 90-100 on very low settings..
when u say "can you check gpu load while runing it" i belive u ask me to take a screenshot of GPU-Z while CSGO running.. so here:

1111.PNG

11122.PNG

4 hours ago, AdarC said:

11122.PNG

If that's while playing csgo your  egpu is not being used.

Did you check if there is any AMD graphics switching option that's selecting the integrated graphics for the game? I have no other Idea for that right now...

7 minutes ago, 3RYL said:

If that's while playing csgo your  egpu is not being used.

Did you check if there is any AMD graphics switching option that's selecting the integrated graphics for the game? I have no other Idea for that right now...

i also think like that! the diffrence in Rocketleauge was su big. 6 times better fps, and in csgo the fps is almost same thing without the egpu...

So you think your cpu have plenty of power in cs:go to feed your gpu with 300fps?
I tought source engine is a pretty cpu heavy engine and doesn't really tax gpus. Since you have pretty solid 100fps even in smoke you are pretty good.
Probably you can set your settings to ultra and you have the ~same fps because your gpu just chilling and waiting for the cpu.

I have ~120fps on dust2 with bots looking at the middle gate from the T spawn. The difference between very high and lowest graphics is like ~8-10 fps on 1080p.

I'm using a i7-2630qm(4cores,8threads) notebook with a R9 390X eGPU.

21 hours ago, Doink said:

So you think your cpu have plenty of power in cs:go to feed your gpu with 300fps?
I tought source engine is a pretty cpu heavy engine and doesn't really tax gpus. Since you have pretty solid 100fps even in smoke you are pretty good.
Probably you can set your settings to ultra and you have the ~same fps because your gpu just chilling and waiting for the cpu.

I have ~120fps on dust2 with bots looking at the middle gate from the T spawn. The difference between very high and lowest graphics is like ~8-10 fps on 1080p.

lol its weird cause in TomsHardware i asked which gpu can i use without bottleneck with my i7 3520m cpu, and i suprisly got answer that i can get any gpu even 1080 GTX without bottleneck... i guess hes wrong as hell

• 2 weeks later...
On 8.2.2017 at 8:23 PM, Doink said:

hey man i know its passed almost two weeks but i now relize that ur cpu is a little bit low than my cpu, so maybe thats the problem? cause i mean i told u already that in Tomshardware someone told me that my cpu is strong and can handle even 1070GTX* (not 1080 like i wrote..), and today some guy told me that my fps problem in csgo is cause of my gpu. he said:
 " I don't think your CPU should be causing the low fps tbh, That CPU is actually pretty good with a boost turbo clock of 3.6ghz and being a quad core with hyperthreading that thing will handle CSGO like a boss. Honestly it could be your GPU. I'd update drivers if you haven't or get a better GPU, that GPU is from 2010 so 7 years old.... I know CSGO isn't the most demanding game but I would not doubt it if you got like a 1050 Ti or something it would run a shit ton better. "

so should i upgrade my gpu? but then im getting back to the question of this thread's subject.. should i buy nvidia card cause it suppose to works better with 1slot or something like that? im so confused cause i was about tu buy AOC 144hz monitor with freesync, but if i get NVIDIA card so i need Gsync monitor and not freesync.. pfff im so confused please help me...

edit: i just found out using MSI Afterburner that my cpu and gpu are doing the same usage in CSGO.. the cpu is on 75-80% usage and gpu is 65-70% usage.. so i dont think my cpu bottle neck my gpu

Edited by AdarC

Lower frequency but 4 cores instead of 2.

https://ark.intel.com/products/64893/Intel-Core-i7-3520M-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz

I already said how you can check it, lower your resolution to 640x480 and if you get significantly higher fps then you can buy a new gpu.

5 hours ago, Doink said:

Lower frequency but 4 cores instead of 2.

https://ark.intel.com/products/64893/Intel-Core-i7-3520M-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/52219/Intel-Core-i7-2630QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_90-GHz

I already said how you can check it, lower your resolution to 640x480 and if you get significantly higher fps then you can buy a new gpu.

ummm i put graphics to the lowest settings and still same fps as at the highest graphics settings.. so i guess the cpu causing problem..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.