Adviced Needed...

Ricky

Hey, i have been a silent reader for a while now and finally decided to build my own eGPU. I have just bought the Akitio Thunder 2 PCIE, for my 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina. My question is should i buy a GTX 970 or Radeon 480?

Does both card give performance boost to final cut pro, etc on Mac OS?

Can both of them run on ONLY internal screen in booth Windows and Mac OS?

I limit my option to these 2 graphic card because the 10 series card doesnt support mac os yet, and the 970 and 48- is almost similar in terms of capabilities.

Does the Goalque Automated eGPU Script work for 480 cards? Im not sure about this because i rarely see anyone using 480 and mention using this script. 

Thanks

Edit:

I wonder if i successfully create my eGPU set up, when im gaming or working with a GPU intensive applications, will my macbook heats up a lot? or it will remain cool becase the iGPU isnt being used and only the cpu that is working hence lower heat? 

Edited by Ricky
add more info

5 hours ago, Ricky said:

1) My question is should i buy a GTX 970 or Radeon 480?

2) Does the Goalque Automated eGPU Script work for 480 cards?

3) Does both card give performance boost to final cut pro, etc on Mac OS?

4) Can both of them run on ONLY internal screen in both Windows and Mac OS?

5) When im gaming or working with a GPU intensive applications, will my macbook heats up a lot? or it will remain cool becase the iGPU isnt being used and only the cpu that is working hence lower heat?

1-2) When you look at the script's GitHub page, experimental support for RX 480 is crossed out. My interpretation is that it didn't work. You might have more luck trying out the EFI app demo but first take a look here, at the very least.

3) I'm not sure but I think I've only seen AMD cards being mentioned to work with software like Adobe. I recommend to search the forum :).

4) In Windows, perhaps (I can not say for sure). As far as I know, not in OS X - you need an external monitor for the cards to be detected (especially NVidia).

5) Depends on which application window is run on which screen. If the GPU intensive application windows will be run on the external monitor accelerated by the eGPU, internal cards will stay cool (as they are idle). However, do note that:

- GPU-intensive also means CPU-intensive sometimes (e.g. games).

- For some configurations (including the MBP model) the internal screen will still be accelerated by the internal GPU, and for some configurations acceleration will be taken over by the eGPU :).

10 minutes ago, ti_padawan said:

1-2) When you look at the script's GitHub page, experimental support for RX 480 is crossed out. My interpretation is that it didn't work. You might have more luck trying out the EFI app demo but first take a look here, at the very least.

3) I'm not sure but I think I've only seen AMD cards being mentioned to work with software like Adobe. I recommend to search the forum :).

4) In Windows, perhaps (I can not say for sure). As far as I know, not in OS X - you need an external monitor for the cards to be detected (especially NVidia).

5) Depends on which application window is run on which screen. If the GPU intensive application windows will be run on the external monitor accelerated by the eGPU, internal cards will stay cool (as they are idle). However, do note that:

- GPU-intensive also means CPU-intensive sometimes (e.g. games).

- For some configurations (including the MBP model) the internal screen will still be accelerated by the internal GPU, and for some configurations acceleration will be taken over by the eGPU :).

Thanks for the reply! But in vers 1.0 it says native support for polaris GPU which is the 480 right? Thats why im not sure hahahaa

Well, in nvidia i heard that using optimus can enable acceleration with build in screen but i dont know much with AMD cards since its not as popular... do you have any link on how to enable it(Nvidia)? Thanks

5 minutes ago, Ricky said:

1) But in vers 1.0 it says native support for polaris GPU which is the 480 right?

2) I heard that using optimus can enable acceleration with build in screen.

1) I see, could be :). I think you had best head over here and ask directly. That's where the key members seem to have moved.

2) Yes, but that's Windows-only. I don't have experience with Optimus myself but some posts come up if you search the forum. E.g. here.

34 minutes ago, ti_padawan said:

1) I see, could be :). I think you had best head over here and ask directly. That's where the key members seem to have moved.

2) Yes, but that's Windows-only. I don't have experience with Optimus myself but some posts come up if you search the forum. E.g. here.

Okay thanks for the reply!