X220 eGPU setup with nVidia 10xx series, is it possible?

Sirios

Hello! The title. Currently I am using GTX670 without any problem. I know that there will be almost no performance improvement if I switch to one of the 10xx cards (1070 or 1080 preferable). But still, I want to know if there anyone here can approve or disapprove the possibility such eGPU set-up: X220+ nVidia (1060, 1070 or 1080).

P.S. I have modified BIOS so setting up TOLUD will not be a problem and I am on Windows 7 x64 Home Pro.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Sirios

• 3 weeks later...

Is this helps you... I just attached a GTX 1050 to my X220, but I do not think it's going to perform better than your current setup.

If you wonder why I did choose the GTX 1050, those were the main points:

- Best performing card powered just by the PCI-e slot

- Low profile version available

- DisplayPort (full size) output

To get rid of the error 43, I'm using 375.63 drivers

15 hours ago, Isthernes said:

Is this helps you... I just attached a GTX 1050 to my X220, but I do not think it's going to perform better than your current setup.

If you wonder why I did choose the GTX 1050, those were the main points:

- Best performing card powered just by the PCI-e slot

- Low profile version available

- DisplayPort (full size) output

To get rid of the error 43, I'm using 375.63 drivers

On 2/11/2017 at 5:45 PM, Arbystrider said:

There is little benefit to using anything more powerful than a GTX670 because of PCIe x1.2 bandwidth limitations, unless you wish to utilise CUDA or exclusive features like Ansel.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Actually I have bought 1080 and the performance bonus was quite significant in comparison to GTX670 I have had. With GTX670 I have got 5000 points in demo version of 3DMark, but with GTX1080 I am getting almost 9000 points! With that improvement I am able to play in Resident Evil 7 on max settings! Contrary  With GTX670 it was barely playable on lowest settings.

I am not care much about error 43, be cause:

1. I have bought GTX1080 due my GTX670 "past away" and with thoughts of switching to TB3 notebook in foreseeable future;

2. When it comes to hardware or\and software my preference is to stick to the rule "If it ain't broke, do not fix it".

Edited by Sirios

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.