M18x R1 Unlocked BIOS for GPU upgrade?

Amenges911

I have an M18x R1 that i recently purchased new GPU's for. After I installed them and went to turn PC just a blank screen appears. No BIOS screen or amything. I was told the new cards were compatible. I have A05 BIOS and was replacing 580M's with 765's. 

Surely someone has ran into this issue... These are the two cards I bought to replace my 580m's. 

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/272484446212?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

Tried installing both, cleared CMOS and started PC. Blank screen. Removed one of the cards, same thing. Replaced one of the 580m's, works great. 

...I even got so brave and impatient that I loaded Win7 using onboard vid with the laptop still in 38 pieces, installed new cards (plug and play style) then used the DevMgr to scan for hardware changes. It picked up the card and driver install failed of course... When I downloaded the 765M drivers from NVIDIA and tried to install them, it couldn't find any compatible hardware. 

14 hours ago, Amenges911 said:

When I downloaded the 765M drivers from NVIDIA and tried to install them, it couldn't find any compatible hardware. 

You have to mod the driver because Dell never sold the M18x R1 with 765M.

And for the bios issue i'm not sure if you need a unlocked bios. I think it's the same like the M17x R3.

5 hours ago, Zoldago said:

You have to mod the driver because Dell never sold the M18x R1 with 765M.

What do you mean by mod the driver? I thought downloading a driver from NVIDIA would work for an NVIDIA product, regardless of what PC build it's in. 

6 hours ago, Amenges911 said:

I thought downloading a driver from NVIDIA would work for an NVIDIA product, regardless of what PC build it's in.

That's the point. Nvidia driver checks the laptop id in combination with the graphicscard id and if this is not listed in the driver then you get this not compatible Hardware found message.

And if you have a combination that's never been sold by Dell it's not listed in the driver.

So you have to modify the driver. You can find instuctions here https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4055-guide-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files/

On 2/6/2017 at 6:16 PM, Zoldago said:

That's the point. Nvidia driver checks the laptop id in combination with the graphicscard id and if this is not listed in the driver then you get this not compatible Hardware found message.

And if you have a combination that's never been sold by Dell it's not listed in the driver.

So you have to modify the driver. You can find instuctions here https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4055-guide-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files/

ah gotcha. well i'm at my wits end with this thing. tired of removing 38 screws to try an resolve this. when i plug and play the cards with windows running, checking for new hardware from the devmgr doesnt pick either card in either slot up, so the drivers naturally wont install anway. 

When I install the cards with the system off, either 1 card or both, i'll either get just a blank screen before the BIOS screen even appears, or I'll get 5 beeps and sometimes 8 beeps. I've tried clearing CMOS, the Fn trick and everything. 

I thought I would need an unlocked BIOS to make this work, because I was going off of what the EuroCom website says as far as upgrading.

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,267,0)ec

Where it says BIOS it says A05 (Unlocked)

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...