GTX 980m thermal pad thickness?

Brand/Model: Clevo P150SM-A

GPU: Upgrading from GTX 870m to 980m

CPU: Intel i7-4810mq

I finally bought a 980m and Would like to install it soon, but I need thermals pads. Does anyone know if I can reuse the thermal pads from my 870m? If that's a bad idea, just let me know. The main question I have is: How thick is the gap from the VRMs to the heatsink surface? I'm trying to find out if I need 1mm or 0.05mm thick thermal pads. 

Thanks you,

M

Edited by Binarious

I wouldn't recommend it, as soon as you open your 870m your thermal pad is gone. Remember, not only having few thermal paste is bad as having too much is too.

Each manufacturer applies a certain amount of paste, depending on the project design. Since you can't possible know what proper pad to use i suggest that you scrape all paste from your 870m and either weight it or measure the size of the "pea" and apply regular thermal compound instead of thermal pads.

I appreciate the responses. I'm not sure I agree with applying thermal paste to the inside of the existing thermal pads. Do people typically just reuse the thermal pads when they swap out their GPU?

I agree that the diagram can't be right, but it's all I've found. If I could get input from someone who really knows, I would appreciate it very much. The R22's are much taller than anything else, so I cannot understand why they would get such thick thermal pads. I still haven't ordered the thermal pads because the good stuff isn't cheap and I don't want to buy alot more than I need. Also, I'm looking into getting the Gelid GP-Extreme thermal pads with 12m/wk thermal conductivity. It's higher than the Fujipoly, so they say. Considering how little info there is about this specific situation, I'm surprised more people aren't saying anything. I use my laptop for work and can't afford to be without it for more than a day, so I'd like to make sure this goes smooth. Having the right thickness thermal pads on hand would be helpful. 

Thank you

Edited by Binarious

1,5mm on memory and 2mm on R22 should be correct. Original pads are strong and can be easily reused so you can measure it but make sure you put new thermal paste.

This is what I measured on 680m in P370EM3

paksus.jpg

Edited by T6nn_k

What doesn't make sense to me is that the R22's are so much taller than the RAM. For this to work, the heatsink must not be a level plane. Again, I don't have the luxury of time and I will be in a very bad situation if I need to order more pads once I start this. I'm thinking that one 80x40x0.5mm and one 80x40x1.5mm should be enough. I can double up on the 0.5mm to get 1mm or at the 1.5 to the 0.5mm to get 2mm. Does this sound right?

thank you so much!

Stacking thermal pads is not ideal. I'm going to use 1,5mm ARCTIC thermal pad, because it's not that brittle and I can repaste without braking the pad. I'll be installing 3mm+ on other side to cool the memory. Got the last tip from forum member.

Picture with original pads will explain your R22 question.

DSC_0183.jpg

Good to know. Thank you again for all of the input, I do appreciate it. I ordered Gelid gc-extreme paste and Gelid GP-Extreme Thermal pads (12w/mk), so I should see some good performance from this GPU. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Ok, so I got the 980m installed and the combination of 1.5mm and 0.5mm thermal pads worked perfect, though I have a fair amount of the 0.5 left over. My PC runs super quiet now. The 980m card came from an MSI GT80 Titan and was part of a SLI setup. When I installed it I has the Prema Mod v1 BIOS and it worked right away with no need of driver updates of anything, however, I updated the GPU to Prema's vBIOS and also updated my system BIOS to Prema's v2 for this laptop (Clevo p150sm-a).

Conclusion:

The Gelid GC-Extreme paste and GP-Extreme pads (12w/mk) surpassed all expectations and I have to admit that it does what it says it does. I decided to also redo the thermal paste on my 4810mq CPU, which was idling between 58 and 62 and the temps dropped by a whopping 23 degrees. When I removed the CPU heatsink I immediately realized why it was running warm. They used WAY too much thermal paste and it was retaining heat as a result.  

Before/After temps (GPU "before" temps are from the 870m):

GPU: @ idle: 44c/33c   under load:  90c/82c   *Load test was with Firestrike. Score without OC: 8469

CPU: @ idle: 58c/35c    under load: 89c/69c   * CPU-Z Bench score: Single Thread-1635 / Multi Thread-6883

* Ambient temps during all tests: 20c 

Now the only thing I need is a bigger power supply and I'll be set. 

Thank you again for all your help,

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually found this diagram to be almost accurate for the Clevo p150sm-a. The only things I changed was the thickness of the 6 little black parts between the two R22 (on the left) and single R22 to the right of them. I just stacked the thermal pads until they were thick enough to touch the heatsink. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, but it seems to be working very well. My temps have never been cooler and I can hardly hear the fans during normal use. Oh, almost forgot. for the components on the very top, I used 1.5mm and only used it on the black squares (I used pieces slightly larger than those 3 black squarish components. If you get 1.5mm and 0.5mm it's pretty easy to make sure everything is contacting the heatsink and that's really all I did. Gelid makes some legit thermal compound, I highly recommend it. 

IMG_5481.JPG

• 1 year later...