M18X R2 grapfhic cards are not detected in bios

mohi

Hi Im from Poland so sorry for my English.  I have few question for you. I have M18X R2 dell laptop and two graphic cards HD 7970 are not detected in bios. Only Intel gaphic is detected. Graphic cards are good , I tested them on other laptop. I downgrade Bios from A11 to A01 but nothing change. Cards are connected SLI Cable. I wrote to alienware service but they cant answer my question. Maybe you can clear my problem and answer my questions.

Is this laptop can work only with one graphic card?

Is there slave and master card, if yes how can I distinguish them?

Is there slave and master slot card?

Is cards must be visible in bios or only when I press FN+F7 they should be visible in bios?

Is SLI cable is required to  switch on graphic cards?

Thank you

hi sorry for my english too, so :

1- yes

2- the master is on the left of cpu and the slave  is on the right side

3- yes as before

4- gpus is only visible after fn+f7 combo or with a modded bios from selecting PEG from IGFX and reboot

5- the crossfire cable is only required for games that use it (same as sli)

Regards,

luca

Hi thank you for replay. How cab I recognize master card if they are both the same (I have both cards not in slots now)?. Where can I get modded bios for this notebook?

I put two cards into left slot, and in widnows pressed FN+F7 - in bios there still cards are not detected.

Edited by mohi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK I am having the same problem, I flashed with m18xr2-SwicksModv2 all seemed well but now BIOS does not detect the GTX 970M 6GB x 2 in sli and they were running fine on the m18xr2-SwicksModv1.

All was going well until I upgraded to win 10 and the cards seemed a little slow so I tried to go back to win 7 and something didnt work out right and I lost everything just everything! But Swicks bios were still intact and did complete op install and seemed back to normal, all well and good until m18xr2-SwicksModv2 flash and no graphic card undetected. When I hit fn/f7 nothing seems to happen, I hit f10 save and reboot and the cards aren't there. The drivers that were running were the 353.62-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql version, but I do remember editing them and now I cant find what to edit them with, but I still do not see the cards in device manager. There are just too many variables.

On 5/11/2017 at 11:15 AM, aldarxt said:

OK I am having the same problem, I flashed with m18xr2-SwicksModv2 all seemed well but now BIOS does not detect the GTX 970M 6GB x 2 in sli and they were running fine on the m18xr2-SwicksModv1.

All was going well until I upgraded to win 10 and the cards seemed a little slow so I tried to go back to win 7 and something didnt work out right and I lost everything just everything! But Swicks bios were still intact and did complete op install and seemed back to normal, all well and good until m18xr2-SwicksModv2 flash and no graphic card undetected. When I hit fn/f7 nothing seems to happen, I hit f10 save and reboot and the cards aren't there. The drivers that were running were the 353.62-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql version, but I do remember editing them and now I cant find what to edit them with, but I still do not see the cards in device manager. There are just too many variables.

OK! Fixed it, was a problem with the keyboard F7 is dead key. nothing to do with the software or bios mod. I need to buy

swick1981 a beer!

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,Alienware M18xR2 (2).pdf