Acer 5745G i5 450M GT330M EXP GDC BEAST 8.4d strange behaviour Optimus

metallus84

Hello to everyone, 

i have a very strange behaviour of my system. 

Laptop:

Acer Aspire 5745G

CPU: Intel Core i5-450M, 2.4GHz - 2.66GHz boost (arrandale core)

iGPU: Intel HD (1st gen)

dGPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 330M

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Windows 10 x64

eGPU:

EXP GDC BEAST 8.4d (via mPIC-E)

PSU: OEM power supply 300W/+12V/PCI-E

GPU: Nvidia GT640 (entry level low power GPU, only for testing)

My aim is to enable Optimus internal LCD with eGPU. First of all i had to find an unlocked bios to extend PCI-e bridge because with default bios system was unable to boot in any configuration and any boot sequence. After flashing unlocked bios and enabling PCI expansion, system is able to boot and eGPU is succesfully recognized by WINDOWS 10 x64 bit.

I installed latest windows7 x64 Intel HD driver and they works good with integrated iGPU

I installed latest windows10 notebook driver for GT330M

I installed latest windows10 desktop driver for GT640.

I need to disable via Device Manager the GT330M device, to avoid BSOD during boot with eGPU connected.

If i connect an external monitor to eGPU, it works fine and opengl/directx works on eGPU without any problem (till now, i didnt made any stability test). 

But on Nvidia Control Panel Optimus option is NOT shown and it is impossible to use eGPU on internal LCD (that is very important for me).

If i try to disable/uninstall iGPU driver, Windows10 boots normally (with bad resolution obviously) and ONLY in this case i can use opengl software to run with eGPU on INTERNAL LCD (wow!), like furmark.

If i control gpu load with gpu-z i see that eGPU is 100% loaded, so very good result. BUT directx apps (like a simple game) does not works on eGPU and try to use always iGPU (also if Intel HD driver is NOT installed).

If i reinstall Intel HD driver (and have good desktop resolution) is not possible to have eGPU to works neither in opengl nor in directx apps (furmark will load the IntelHD and i can see it during furmark test or with gpu-z monitor).

So, it seems that i'm near to what i want to do, but i am not able to find a definitive solution. What i am missing?

I followed lot of guide here on forum like .inf Nvidia driver modification to force Optimus = 1, modified Windows registry to point to nvinitx.dll as per FAQ suggestion, tried other driver version (older) but with worst results, and nothing, i cannot use internal LCD.

One last thing: if i try to use older NVIDIA driver like 301.42 WHQL in this case i cannot load eGPU and i see an "error 31" on device manager (insufficient resources for API). I have egpu setup and i tried to run some "pci compaction" but all combination ends with and "unable to find a solution" error, so i cannot do anything to free resources (but strange is that happens only with old 301.42 driver, not newer).

Is DSTS override my last chance? 

Help!

Thank you

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello, is not possible to use internal LCD on this system, because hardware is first-gen Intel not supported by latest driver. The only way is to use an external monitor. In this mode it works without any problem. I bought a compatible Optimus laptop (HP 6560b) which is able to use internal LCD!

Bye

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23.12.2017 at 9:54 PM, metallus84 said:

Hello, is not possible to use internal LCD on this system, because hardware is first-gen Intel not supported by latest driver. The only way is to use an external monitor. In this mode it works without any problem. I bought a compatible Optimus laptop (HP 6560b) which is able to use internal LCD!

Bye

Which graphics card do you best recommend for i5 430M CPU?

Edited by FaNTaSTiCaS

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.