• Announcements

• Brian

Introducing T|I Marketplace/Classifieds!   11/24/16

After a long wait, Tech|Inferno now has a Marketplace/Classifieds section where all registered (promoted and above) members can participate in selling, trading and seeking out items. This service is free to all members to use as they wish. Currently all ads last for a period of 14 days before they expire for promoted users. Those users belonging to T|I Elite, Contributor, Developer and Moderator have access to 30 day ad periods that are featured   Some easy rules to remember: Do not post multiple ads of the same product. Do not advertise here if you are a retailer or business. You must contact Tech|Inferno for advertising space. Keep ads civil, do not try to lowball members. You may contact them in private via PM if you feel their price is not to your liking. Harassing members will result in an infraction. It is recommended you have Heatware/eBay feedback to establish trading credibility.    Tech|Inferno assumes no liability for any sales posted in the Classified section. Always use common sense when buying/selling with traders and ask for their heatware/ebay feedback!   Enjoy!
WaY977

2014 15" rMBP + MSI GTX1070 OC@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [wayne]

3 posts in this topic

First and foremost: this is a HASSLE-FREE BUILD.

You will not find creative schematics, acrobatic soldering, custom BIOSes or anything like that: this is pure "just works eGPU" with Win10 bootcamp and an external display (so, no OSX support and no internal monitor either)

Let's begin!

Hardware:

- Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2014 with nVidia GT750M

- Akitio Thunder2

- MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G OC

- Dell DA-2 12V  (ended up not using it)

- Old Corsair 540W Modular PSU

Setup:

None. Absolutely no software setup. I had my previously working Win10 bootcamp machine installed, and it was a regular, apple-certified, Win10 installation done via bootcamp assistant, so no UEFI workaround or custom BIOS.

The works

oxu2tJV.jpg

Got my Akitio, unbox and open. Just 2 screws and voila.

fxMtnep.jpg

Removed the back plate (4 little screws)

IEwIgv4.jpg

I unplugged both the fan and the led cable and removed the glued support for the cable, you can still see the glue

Removing the fan was just a matter of removing 4 screws, the LED light took just a bit of force and it popped out of the socket.
Here's all the things from the Akitio you will not use.

zcayO04.jpg

As you can see from the hardware list, I decided to go with a full sized GTX card, and not just a full-sized one, a pretty big one at that.

The MSI GTX1070 Armor OC does not have any LEDs or fancy things, just 2 big (and quiet) fans and that's that.

O6X4O8z.jpg

So, of course, I had to bend the Akitio to make room for the card.

I went with the "jeweller's screwdriver" technique. Fast and easy: just put a little flat screwdriver near the soldering at the bottom of the enclosure and work your way in lightly with a hammer.

Took me 1 minute and the little solderings popped open.

5cqSkPL.jpg

Now it was just a matter of applying a bit of brute force and bend the enclosure open.
Not pretty, I know... but I'm not looking for pretty. Besides, the card is so long it covers the bent enclosure and then some! :)

3M9OaJA.jpg

sIU1CSl.jpg

I gotta say, I was getting pretty impatient at this point.

I put the card in, adjusted the two screws to set it in place and checked the spacing between the card and the bent enclosure. 
Everything was in order. Not pretty, again, but in order.

mPF2xKw.jpg

95wjFNj.jpg

At this point, I encountered a little snafu in my plan.
I had bought the famous Dell DA-2 to power my GPU.. turns out this monster of a card has an 8 pin power slot, not a 6 pin one.

Huh. Now what? 
Remember, this was supposed to be a hassle-free installation, no soldering or complicated workarounds.

I remembered I had an oldish PSU from my desktop era sitting in a closed, took it out, plugged it in and got a nice 8-pin cable to power my GPU.

(of course I had to use the paperclip-trick to power the PSU, but it's so basic, I'm not counting that as a hassle).

WD4EJqU.jpg

jyppa5z.jpg

To power the Akitio, since this a... let's say it again, everyone... hassle free build, I didn't want to use any custom made barrels or anything, so I used the original PSU, plugged it in and that's it.

It was time to power it all up and see what the future brings.

Thunderbolt cable connected, external monitor plugged in with a displayport cable, everything powered up... turn on MBP: nothing. Black screen.

Huh.

Powered down, tried to plug the thunderbold cable in AFTER the boot.

Got a "hey I found something" sound from Windows, but nothing else.

Reboot.

Now the MBP started in Bootcamp, and Device Manager said there was a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

Bingo!
Downloaded latest nVidia drivers, gave it a go: oh, damn! I have 2 video cards!

Rebooted again

The external monitor came to life, so I closed the lid on my MacBook (I'm using it in clamshell mode, I have no need for another screen) and there it was.

With this solution, you don't even need to go and disable the "internal" 750M,

Didn't have the time to make a 3D Mark benchmark, yet... but these were the settings of my WoW client yesterday

lYE9nIy.jpg

and @2560x1440 with all ultra settings I had 67fps. Not too shabby :)

Future implementations:

- power the Akitio via the barrel to remove an external PSU

- organize cables and spaces

- switch PSU: this one has a terrible case of "coil whining", it looks like I'm skinning a cat...

- IF I ever have any spare time, try and put everything inside a box: I'm thinking of one of those ikea metal boxes... 

Thank you all for your help and... comments appreciated! (everything but: "it's ugly!". That one I know :D )

Edited by WaY977

13/01 Update

Switched PSU: old Corsair had a terrible case of coil whining. Got a cheap Seasonic (60€ from Amazon): perfect.

Hi,

how did you attach the barrel to the PSU? I would also get rid of the Dell DA 2 12V coming with the Akitio.

Thanks

My setup:

MAC pro retina 2015 15"

Akitio Thunderbolt 2

500W EVGA psu 80+

EVGA 1060 Super Clocked 6GB

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By enjoy
      Firstly I just want to thank everyone in this community. I read a lot of info before i start my project! Now i have more then 5 times better laptop just for 633 EUR!

Windows 10 64 Bit (BIOS) / Bootcamp
      MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
      2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 "Ivy Bridge" (I7-3615QM) (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache
      8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
      Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
      Nvidia Driver: 372.70

I dont like the new retina MacBook Pro 2016 and choose to spend my money for the Akitio eGPU setup with:

I. PARTS:
      1. Akitio Thunderbolt2 PCIe Expansion Box 290 EUR
      2. 2 x Startech.com 6 inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable 20 EUR
      3. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Super Clocked (1607 /1835)  GAMING 6GB  275 EUR
      4. Dell 220W DA-2 35 EUR
      5. DC Barrel 5.5mm x 2.5mm 1 EUR
      6. HDMI to VGA adapter from Bulgaria 12 EUR - to play on the retina internal screen
      TOTAL: 633 EUR

II. DELL 220W DA-2 SETUP: 

I have Windows 10 64 bit (BIOS) via Bootcamp on my SSD and eGPU-Setup-1.20 ready.

III. Uninstall GT650M Drivers from Device Manager and Download and install 327.70 NVIDIA Drivers - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/107012/en-us

IV. ERROR 12 FIX
      Unzip eGPU Setup 1.2 to c:\eGPU run setup-disk-image (as admin user) Restart and load eGPU Setup 1.2 and select 2 with your keyboard Then:  

V. Install again 327.70 NVIDIA Driver when you with the two GPU's in Windows

VI. DONE

VII. GAMES - I can play all games i have with 60FPS with High/Ultra setings FULL HD 1920x1080 - Before that i can play only on lowest settings with my GT 650M 1GB with 1280x800

VI. UPDATE NVIDIA DRIVER via GEFORCE EXPERIENCE TO LATEST DRIVERS - 378.66

VII. DONE
      I can play all games - FULL HD / 60 FPS (all to MAX + AA) on External Display
      I can play all games - 1680x1050 / 30-40 FPS (all to MAX + AA) on my Internal Reitna Display

I also made a custom Windows 10 theme aka macOS Gaming 10.10.10 

VIII. PLAY ON INTERNAL RETINA MONITOR @LukeHero MOD:

So the main limitations with this model of Macbook is the fact that you need an external display. So @LukeHero got around this limitation with this little device and three resistors:

It's a HDMI to VGA adapter. 

All you need to do is put 3x 100ohm resistors inside the VGA port to create a fake external display. You can see where the resistors need to go with this image:

So the deal with this is, any program started on the 'external screen' (being powered by the eGPU) will use the eGPU. So what you'll want to do is set the fake display as your main display. Then anything started on that display will be running from the eGPU. Now there is a little limitation here; only games that run in windowed mode will work (which is most). You'll want to start the game on the fake screen in windowed mode and then drag it over to your internal display.

So how do you grab from a display you can't see? Well, I found this free program called Dual Monitor Tools (it's free right here: Dual Monitor Tools - Home )
      and what you can do in this program is set a keyboard shortcut to move the selected window over to the other display. So you click on the game in the task bar, and hit the shortcut you assigned and it'll pop over to the internal screen, but because it was launched on the fake screen, it'll be powered by the eGPU.

Simple as that, there's no performance hit either as you're just dragging the game to the other screen.

A good tip is to have the internal display set as default first, launch the game, go to options and set the game to windowed mode now, then quit and relaunch after you've changed the fake screen as your primary. Otherwise you might not be able to switch it with the shortcut while it's in full screen.

HOW TO CLOSE THE AKITIO CASE: 

HOW TO START THE SETUP (when i want to play games):
      1. choose eGPU Setup 1.2 from boot menu and select 1 with your keyboard
      2. choose again Windows 10 from boot menu
      3. Start the game i want
      4. Press the combination for Dual Monitor Tools to show the game on my internal display (i use Borderless Gaming so i run my games fullscreen on my retina display)
      5. Done - my old rMBP 2012 can run all new games - 30-60FPS (1680x1050) on Very High/Ultra settings on my retina display Borderless like Fullscreen!

BENCHMARKS:

Unigine Heaven 4.0 Benchmark Score EXTERNAL DISPLAY 1920x1080:

Unigine Heaven 4.0 Benchmark Score INTERNAL RETINA DISPLAY 1680x1050:

6584 in Fire Strike (V1.1) - External (fake display) - the basic test (for example only 1522 with dGPU - GT 650M)
      Graphics score
      7 210 
      Graphics test 1
      32.47 FPS
      Graphics test 2
      30.30 FP

FOR EXAMPLE: This user have 8556 in Fire Strike (V1.1) ( http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9689714 ) with the closer CPU to mine so there is 20% performance loss because of TB1 but I still can play all games Very High or Ultra FULL HD!

1680 x 1050 - External (fake display) - just change the resolution i don't touch any settings
      Graphics score
      9 089
      Graphics test 1
      46.98 FPS
      Graphics test 2
      34.11 FPS

1680 x 1050 - Internal Retina Display  (Borderless) - just change the resolution i don't touch any settings
      Graphics score
      7 852  - the score is enough to play all games VERY HIGH/ULTRA with 1680 x 1050 on the Internal Retina Display  (Borderless)
      Graphics test 1
      33.96 FPS
      Graphics test 2
      34.32 FPS

1680 x 1050 - Internal Retina Display  (Windowed) - just change the resolution i don't touch any settings
      Graphics score
      8 377 
      Graphics test 1
      37.83 FPS
      Graphics test 2
      35.12 FPS

AKITIO TB2 CASE MOD - by enjoy

• By omarion-88
      Hi everybody,
      For some time I have been trying to solve a problem between my akitio and my graphics card. Yesterday, when I connected the port thunderbolt to my macbook, the fans of the graphics card were working. But the card was not connected.

While the Akitio was running, I unplugged / reconnected the graphics card. The graphics card turned on and off, and I smelled a burning smell. This morning, I tried the graphics card on a PC, and it works well. Moreover the Akitio is detected by my macbook.

It seems that the PCI port does not work? How can I test the PCI port? Do you think I have to return the Thunder2.

Yohan

Config :

-Akitio thunder2
      -RM450 (connect cart and akitio)
      -GTX 970
    • By Irons324
      (Having trouble uploading images here, I'll try again later)

Hi all, 

I'm green as here, but been closely following peoples implementations for eGPU and MBP. After finding some inspiration from P-Mac here, I decided to build one. I knocked this all out for around $600 AUD. Being from Australia, it was hard to come by a Thunder2 box. So I bit the bullet and bought one from the US as cheap as I could find it. Picked up a second hand MSI Gaming GTX960, the twin frozr fan edition, also overclocked edition, cost me $200. Grabbed a Corsair VS550 PSU too for $80. I'm pretty handy with electronics and good with a soldering iron so I thought, no worries mate. Anyway, after waiting 3 weeks for the Akitio to arrive, it finally showed up and I knocked this all out in about 1.5 hours. 

Opening up the Akitio
      I unboxed the package, and opened it up. These things are TINY, I thought. I knew I'd have to open the case up to make the GPU fit, but jesus, the GPU dwarfs this thing. I removed the fan from the Akitio and set it aside, probably never to be used again. A lot of people have just bent the back plate of the Akitio away, then gaff taped it up, etc. I didn't like that idea, so I took to it with a dremel and cutting wheel with the box facing DOWN, as grinding sparks and PCB's tend to disagree with each other. I cut a decent line into the steel, then bent it away with some pliers, then fatigue snapped the cut line. 

Inserting the GPU
      Pretty straightforward. Removed the 2 retainer screws for the PCI cards, pushed the card firmly into place. I re-inserted the two screws and nipped them up with a screwdriver. 

Easy peasy. 

Wiring up the CPU PSU
      Now, I've seen all sorts of dodgy behaviour like jumping PSU's on with paperclips. That's live power, flapping around sensitive electronic components. I didn't like that idea. I also didn't like the idea of chopping up the PSU cables in case I ever want to re-purpose the PSU. So, I bought a molex to something connector (I can't remember the name) and chopped the red and black wires off at the molex plug end, chopped the yellow and black at the something end. Got some automotive twin core 3mm wire and a barrel plug I bought from JayCar and soldered the red to the centre post and the black to the outer post. Heat shrink over the exposed solder connections and electrical tape inside the barrel plug to ensure that it didn't short out, BAM, one 12V barrel plug to power the Akitio. Plugged the PCI-E connector into the GPU, simple. To "hot-wire" the PSU, I used a jumper wire and two electrical bulkhead crimp terminals. They're a little big to fit in the ATX connector of the PSU, but I squished them up with pliers and they fit in there snug, no exposed metal to short out on the case, or anywhere else, with the added bonus of the entire setup being plug and play. 

Plugging in and recognising
      I used the instructions here (see below) to get OSX to recognise and install the drivers. Followed the instructions, no problems. Had to go and disable system protection out of the recovery partition, but that's no biggie. I re-started, flicked the switch on the PSU with the eGPU plugged in, took a little while to get through the load screen, but away it went. I ran a benchmark on Cinebench, got 77fps which was an improvement over the 59fps I would get out of the GT750m. 

Teething issues
      Being new as hell to all of this, I'm still working out how to tweak settings etc. I opened up WoW, being an avid player, and expected to be dazzled. I copped a heaping load of disappointment when my recommended settings went to 1 from 4, and the game ran like a wet turd. However, after some playing around, trying a different monitor, enabling automation of the eGPU in the script, I'm getting a solid 40-60fps at high, not ultra, settings at 1080p. 
      I'm having often problems booting out of sleep, the computer crashes and won't turn back on without a hard reset, no boot chime or anything. Sometimes switching off the PSU to kill the eGPU is needed to get into the OSX loading screen, then flicking it on once it's loading is needed. Sometimes it works fine. This seems to be common but I'll keep looking for fixes for waking up from sleep. Even with NoSleep enabled and not closing the lid, eventually it'll go dark and won't wake up. However sustained use and gaming doesn't kill the computer, so I don't think it's an overheating issue. Also keeping a close eye on temps everywhere and setting the fans to max when gaming, as I always do as these things overheat like crazy during gaming. 

To be done
      At the moment the Akitio is sitting open on the desk and the PSU next to it with wires fucking everywhere. It's messy and cluttered and I hate it. I've got access to tools and equipment some probably don't, so I'm going to build a custom case for both the PSU and the Akitio, and put some nice big fans on it to keep it all nice and cool under high load, hopefully preventing the GPU from needing to use it's active cooling at all, thus letting it work without strain. 

Any tips or advice would be great!

Updates
      Managed to pick up a GTX 970 locally for the same price as I paid for the 960. Same card build, MSI Twin Frozr fans etc, slotted right in with no changes needed. Getting 57 fps on furmark within OSX, 82 fps out of cinebench, which is a slight improvement over the 960. I've upped the settings in WoW and it's running between 50-60 fps no worries. 
      I also installed windows to try and get some benchmarks done, however furmarking is crashing the whole show and requiring a hard reset. I can get furmark to run in OSX though through some command lines found from the guys at geek3d.com. Windows has way more trouble posting the eGPU from startup, and has A LOT of trouble rebooting/shutting down. Really re-enforcing my love for OSX but I would like to play some higher end titles that simply aren't available on OSX in the future. Got Unigine to finally install (had a lot of issues downloading the entire file for some reason) and ran that on the 970. Didn't get to test it on the 960. 

• By J95
      Please follow the instructions below.
      • Specs.
      • Device manager ->Display Adapters ->Details ->Device Description ->Hardware Ids, post results (request).
      - Extract downloaded driver using 7-Zip/winrar.
      - Extracted Nvidia...International\Display.Driver folder\ -> copy/overwrite nvdmi.inf
      - Nvidia...International folder\ -> run setup.exe
      - Windows 8 - disable driver signing
      Command Prompt (Admin) Win key + X Type:
        bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes -> "The operation completed successfully" ->reboot ->Install drivers.
      Exit test mode, cmd (admin).
        bcdedit /set {current} testsigning no ->reboot.
      - Use DDU to remove previous drivers/GPU installations (Nvidia & AMD), create restore point then select first uninstall option (safe mode).
      GeForce 334.89 WHQL
      Modded nvdmi.inf v334.89 AW M17XR2/R3/R4 3D + M18XR1/R2 GTX 680M / 780M
      Modded nvdmi.inf v334.89 AW M18XR1/R2 GTX 680M / 780M SLI Enabled
      - - - Updated - - -
      Quadro Notebook Driver 334.95
      PhysX 9.13.1220
      - Extract
      - Nvidia...International folder\ -> delete the following folders:
      Display.NView
      Display.Update
      Display.Optimus
      NVWMI
      - Display.Driver copy/overwrite nvdmwi.inf
      - Nvidia...International\ -> run setup exe
      - Install Physx -> reboot
      Fire Strike NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4
      [
      nvdmwi.inf_v334.95_AW_M17XR2_R3_R4_3D_M18XR1_R2_GTX_680M_780M.zip
      nvdmwi.inf_v334.95_AW_M18XR1_R2_GTX_680M_780M_SLI_Enabled.zip