• Announcements

• Brian

Introducing T|I Marketplace/Classifieds!   11/24/16

After a long wait, Tech|Inferno now has a Marketplace/Classifieds section where all registered (promoted and above) members can participate in selling, trading and seeking out items. This service is free to all members to use as they wish. Currently all ads last for a period of 14 days before they expire for promoted users. Those users belonging to T|I Elite, Contributor, Developer and Moderator have access to 30 day ad periods that are featured   Some easy rules to remember: Do not post multiple ads of the same product. Do not advertise here if you are a retailer or business. You must contact Tech|Inferno for advertising space. Keep ads civil, do not try to lowball members. You may contact them in private via PM if you feel their price is not to your liking. Harassing members will result in an infraction. It is recommended you have Heatware/eBay feedback to establish trading credibility.    Tech|Inferno assumes no liability for any sales posted in the Classified section. Always use common sense when buying/selling with traders and ask for their heatware/ebay feedback!   Enjoy!
WaY977

2014 15" rMBP + MSI GTX1070 OC@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [wayne]

4 posts in this topic

First and foremost: this is a HASSLE-FREE BUILD.

You will not find creative schematics, acrobatic soldering, custom BIOSes or anything like that: this is pure "just works eGPU" with Win10 bootcamp and an external display (so, no OSX support and no internal monitor either)

Let's begin!

Hardware:

- Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2014 with nVidia GT750M

- Akitio Thunder2

- MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G OC

- Dell DA-2 12V  (ended up not using it)

- Old Corsair 540W Modular PSU

Setup:

None. Absolutely no software setup. I had my previously working Win10 bootcamp machine installed, and it was a regular, apple-certified, Win10 installation done via bootcamp assistant, so no UEFI workaround or custom BIOS.

The works

oxu2tJV.jpg

Got my Akitio, unbox and open. Just 2 screws and voila.

fxMtnep.jpg

Removed the back plate (4 little screws)

IEwIgv4.jpg

I unplugged both the fan and the led cable and removed the glued support for the cable, you can still see the glue

Removing the fan was just a matter of removing 4 screws, the LED light took just a bit of force and it popped out of the socket.
Here's all the things from the Akitio you will not use.

zcayO04.jpg

As you can see from the hardware list, I decided to go with a full sized GTX card, and not just a full-sized one, a pretty big one at that.

The MSI GTX1070 Armor OC does not have any LEDs or fancy things, just 2 big (and quiet) fans and that's that.

O6X4O8z.jpg

So, of course, I had to bend the Akitio to make room for the card.

I went with the "jeweller's screwdriver" technique. Fast and easy: just put a little flat screwdriver near the soldering at the bottom of the enclosure and work your way in lightly with a hammer.

Took me 1 minute and the little solderings popped open.

5cqSkPL.jpg

Now it was just a matter of applying a bit of brute force and bend the enclosure open.
Not pretty, I know... but I'm not looking for pretty. Besides, the card is so long it covers the bent enclosure and then some! :)

3M9OaJA.jpg

sIU1CSl.jpg

I gotta say, I was getting pretty impatient at this point.

I put the card in, adjusted the two screws to set it in place and checked the spacing between the card and the bent enclosure. 
Everything was in order. Not pretty, again, but in order.

mPF2xKw.jpg

95wjFNj.jpg

At this point, I encountered a little snafu in my plan.
I had bought the famous Dell DA-2 to power my GPU.. turns out this monster of a card has an 8 pin power slot, not a 6 pin one.

Huh. Now what? 
Remember, this was supposed to be a hassle-free installation, no soldering or complicated workarounds.

I remembered I had an oldish PSU from my desktop era sitting in a closed, took it out, plugged it in and got a nice 8-pin cable to power my GPU.

(of course I had to use the paperclip-trick to power the PSU, but it's so basic, I'm not counting that as a hassle).

WD4EJqU.jpg

jyppa5z.jpg

To power the Akitio, since this a... let's say it again, everyone... hassle free build, I didn't want to use any custom made barrels or anything, so I used the original PSU, plugged it in and that's it.

It was time to power it all up and see what the future brings.

Thunderbolt cable connected, external monitor plugged in with a displayport cable, everything powered up... turn on MBP: nothing. Black screen.

Huh.

Powered down, tried to plug the thunderbold cable in AFTER the boot.

Got a "hey I found something" sound from Windows, but nothing else.

Reboot.

Now the MBP started in Bootcamp, and Device Manager said there was a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

Bingo!
Downloaded latest nVidia drivers, gave it a go: oh, damn! I have 2 video cards!

Rebooted again

The external monitor came to life, so I closed the lid on my MacBook (I'm using it in clamshell mode, I have no need for another screen) and there it was.

With this solution, you don't even need to go and disable the "internal" 750M,

Didn't have the time to make a 3D Mark benchmark, yet... but these were the settings of my WoW client yesterday

lYE9nIy.jpg

and @2560x1440 with all ultra settings I had 67fps. Not too shabby :)

Future implementations:

- power the Akitio via the barrel to remove an external PSU

- organize cables and spaces

- switch PSU: this one has a terrible case of "coil whining", it looks like I'm skinning a cat...

- IF I ever have any spare time, try and put everything inside a box: I'm thinking of one of those ikea metal boxes... 

Thank you all for your help and... comments appreciated! (everything but: "it's ugly!". That one I know :D )

Edited by WaY977

13/01 Update

Switched PSU: old Corsair had a terrible case of coil whining. Got a cheap Seasonic (60€ from Amazon): perfect.

Hi,

how did you attach the barrel to the PSU? I would also get rid of the Dell DA 2 12V coming with the Akitio.

Thanks

My setup:

MAC pro retina 2015 15"

Akitio Thunderbolt 2

500W EVGA psu 80+

EVGA 1060 Super Clocked 6GB

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 15 (Mid 2014) with integrated graphics only.

I am using a Zotac 1060 and able to boot into windows 10 on external display and installed the graphic driver successfully.

However, I realise after about 5 mins, the screen will turn black or sometimes white and hang there. When this occurs i cannot do anything but to force shutdown the machine.

Did you have this issue?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By matthieuv
      Hey guys,

Let me introduce you my eGPU setup, realized on a 2013 15" retina Macbook Pro, model equipped with a dedicated GT 750M. I am using an Akitio Thunder2 PCIe enclosure and a EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 SC 6Gb.

I wanted to use both internal and external display on my Mac.

I was looking for information during weeks before buying it and wasn’t really sure if it would work as I wanted to. Many people are convinced that using the internal screen is impossible  or way more complicated if the Mac has a dedicated GPU.

I spend a whole week formatting and testing, using UEFI, BIOS, considering going back to Windows 7 (not for long)…

I finally used Windows 10 UEFI, the programs rEFInd and GPU-switch and nothing else !
      No need for an HDMI headless ghost or any program to spoof the number of screens.

I made a video to show you the whole installation process, I hope that it will help:

My GF did the voice acting as I wasn't convinced by my own

If you prefer a text-based tutorial, here are the different steps:

1)    Installation of Windows 10 in UEFI mode

On the 2013 retina Macbook Pro, the SSD is a PCIe model. This seems related to the UEFI mode used by default when using the Boot camp assistant. If you don’t want to use it or are using another model of Macbook, you can follow this excellent tutorial to force the UEFI mode:
      http://fgimian.github.io/blog/2016/03/12/installing-windows-10-on-a-mac-without-bootcamp/

You just need to create a conventional partition and convert your table partition from “hybrid” to “protective”. By doing this, Windows will see a GPT disk instead of MBR. You just need to boot your USB drive on EFI mode.

Once Windows is properly installed with the correct Macbook drivers (another reason to prefer the boot camp assistant), you need to go back to Mac OS.

2)    Installing rEFInd

rEFInd is a boot manager tool, like rEFIt or GRUB. Its first advantage is the ability to choose the OS without the need to press a key at startup. And the real reason why we are using it is to spoof the computer to allow Windows seeing the entire installed hardware.

You can install refind from this link: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Then you need to activate this spoof ability by opening a terminal and typing these two commands:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/efi
      sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi

Now, you can see your EFI partition in your Finder.
      Go to EFI/EFI/refind and open the file refind.conf with textedit.

Search for the “spoof OS version” and remove the comment symbol #

Reboot your computer and choose Windows on the rEFInd screen.
      Open your device manager, you’ll see your iGPU (intel iris pro graphics 5200) and dGPU (Geforce GT 750M)

3)    gpu-switch

GPU-switch can be downloaded from there: https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch
      Download the windows version, available in the description
      (direct link : https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch/releases/download/v0/gpu-switch-windows.zip )

Install Microsoft C++ redistributable (not sure which version do the trick, I’ve installed each version in x64 and x86 just to be sure)
      open the file integrated.bat with administrator rights, you should see the word “success”

4)    GPU driver installation

Not sure if this step is necessary but I’ve removed the dGPU driver before installing nVidia GeForce experience. The program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) is perfect for that.
      You can download it using this link: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Choose to uninstall and shutdown the computer, as you will install a new hardware indeed

When your computer is off, plug the power supply to your eGPU, press the computer power button, wait for the chime and the rEFInd screen to appear, then plug your eGPU to the Macbook and launch Windows. If rEFInd is stucked, hold the power button until the computer is off.

You should now see three graphics cards in the device manager, two of them not recognized at this point.
      Install nVidia GeForce experience and the latest nVidia driver. The GPU list will be updated at the end of the installation process.
      Re-launch GPU-switch and reboot. You don’t need to unplug the eGPU when rebooting.

Now, your eGPU should have an error code 12, with unsufficient resources available.
      Just right clic on the dGPU (GT 750M) and disable it. Re-launch gpu-switch just to be sure (integrated.bat) and reboot.

Just a last step and you’ll good to go
      Right click on the nVidia icon in your systray and open the configuration panel. Go to PhysX and set it to automatic instead of processor, like on this picture:

That’s it, you can now launch your games on the internal screen or using an external monitor

To switch between both, just plug the display on the eGPU and use the shortcut Win + P (Cmd + P on a Mac keyboard) to toggle between both screens.

You can also duplicate them, it works, but don’t expect any kind of good performances doing this

Now, the most important part, to avoid screwing your configuration: every time you go back to Mac OS, Windows will switch to the dedicated GPU (maybe also when turning off the computer, I’m not sure).
      For this reason, always re-enable the GT 750M before turning off the computer! Otherwise, you’ll get a black screen at Windows startup.

Just follow this procedure when you want to use your eGPU:
      -       Use gpu-switch to set the integrated GPU as primary
      -       Disable the dGPU from the device manager
      -       Turn off your computer or reboot
      -       When you see the reEFInd screen, plug your eGPU and launch Windows
      -       Play you favorite video game or launch your intensive GPU application (there are two schools)
      -       Re-enable your dGPU from the device manager
      -       Turn off your computer
      -       Unplug your eGPU

Now, some advices based on my little experience:

If your end up with a black screen, you can restore Windows to a previous restauration point or remove the display driver. If you really can’t boot windows, using Parallels Desktop, you can boot your Windows partition from a virtual machine, then remove the display driver.

At first, I was experiencing a game crash and the GPU fan running at max speed, when launching any sort of game. This issue was caused by the power supply connection, using an Xbox 360 S adapter with too thin wires

These wires caused a voltage drop when consuming the 100W needed when playing a game (against 15W on Windows)

About the electrical connections, here are a few pictures

I’ve added a connector on the free PCB footprint to avoid soldering wires on the board. The cables are 0,75mm2 section and fits perfectly the original jack hole.
      About the PCIe power connector at the top of the graphic card, I had to cut it with a Dremel to fit the enclosure. You can find specific (and pretty expensive) cables on Ebay if you don’t want to modify one.

For the ventilation, a colleague helped me cutting holes in front of the fan. I’m not sure to keep this solution, as some games make it very noisy.

Let me know if this tutorial or the video did help you. Don't hesitate to ask for support if you want to do the same setup.

Some websites are pretty discouraging about the concept of eGPU, the whole process is not pretty user-friendly but I'm happy to see that there is an active community growing each year !

• By Bluefox
      I finally make the egpu work. I switched from AMD card to GTX to make EGPU work in WIN10.
      Here is my configuration hardware:
      1. late 2016 macbook pro 13' touchbar
      2. gtx1050ti
      3. akitio node
      4. macOS 10.12.3
      5. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] UEFI
      6. GTX driver: 378.78-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql
      Here is my issue:
      1. can't boot to win with egpu connected and powered, it give me black screen, but keyboard is working, I have to hot plug egpu during boot up
      2. if I try to use   https://github.com/0xbb/apple_set_os.efi, boot from USB, it still give me black screen
      3. if I try to use new apple_set_os.efi build for 10.12.4 version to boot from USB with gpu-swith run in win before reboot, it can get into win10, but in a while, GTX driver will crash, and in device manage it show code 43, can't make it work anymore
      so, can someone help me with the hot plug boot to win???
    • By Kerri
      Hi, my name is Kåre. I help users on this site find power solutions for the Akitio Thunderbox and I currently see that you may want to your into the case, if you just had the correct power supply cable that would allow for it to be seated inside the case. KAREONKABLES.COM

• By 613
      AKiTiO 40Gbps Thunderbolt™ 3 Cable
      This Thunderbolt™ 3 cable delivers lighting fast data transfer rates for storage, single-cable docking, multiple 4K video displays, external graphics for high speed gaming, and Thunderbolt networking between computers. Based on Intel's Thunderbolt™ 3 technology, this Thunderbolt™ 3 cable with the USB Type-C™ connector enables 40 Gbps bi-directional data transmission and reversible connectivity.
      The cable supports up to 100W power delivery and multiple data protocols such as USB 2.0 (4.8 Mbps), USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gbps), Gen 2 (10 Gbps), DisplayPort 1.2, and PCI Express.
      Features
      Lightning fast data transfer rates up to 40 Gbps Supports Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1, DisplayPort and PCIe protocols Reversible USB-C connector
    • By 613
        Boost Your MacBook Pro / Air / Mac Mini / iMac graphics performance*.   Thunderbolt 2 eGPU 20gbps, a modded AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box.   220W Dell DA-2 power supply brick is included (Max TDP up to 240W).     Ready for work.   Just plug and play.   No extra moding is needed!     Supports Graphics card up to GeFroce GTX 1080!   Minimal design - modded to occupy less space.               Includes: - Modded AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box                                                - 1m Active 20gbps Thunderbolt cable      - Dell DA-2 220W PSU                                   - Power cable (US)                                                         - 2x6pin PCIe to 8Pin PCie adapter       GRAPHICS CARD IS NOT INCLUDED              * Works with all Windows laptops and MacBook Pro / Air / Mac Mini / iMac with a Thunderbolt 1/2 connection. Thunderbolt 3 devices (2016 MacBook Pro etc.) need a supplementary $29 Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter.