Lenovo Y500 Strikes again or is iGPU really dead?

rusTORK

I know, i know, i know... @svl7 said it's disabled, @octiceps said it's disabled and many other forum users said it's disabled.

I am always want to double check everything and i did it this time too. And i would like to post here result of my research. But first thing first - my PC:

Laptop Configuration: Lenovo Y500 SLI

CPU: Intel i7-3630QM (2400-3400 MHz, Ivy Bridge, QuadCore)

VGA: 2x 2048Mb NVIDIA GeForce GT650M (SLI Configuration)

MB: Compal LA-8692P

RAM: 2x 4Gb Ramaxel RMT3160ED58E9W1600 (11-11-11-28)

HDD: 1TB Seagate Momentus 5400 (ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB)

SSD: 120 Gb Samsung 850 EVO (MGX S4LN062X01)

Display: 15.6" LG\Philips LP156WF1-TLC1 (1920x1080)

WIN: MS Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Also i must say, that i have got UNLOCKED BIOS by @svl7. And for second VGA too.

Research

It's beginning from @geraldthread about his Ultrabay to PCI-E Adapter for Lenovo Y510p for useing Radeon Desktop VGAs as external VGA. It's performed well with Y510p, but there was zero info about how it perform on Y500 or will it perform at all (now we know that it's no, but it's another story). Unlocked BIOS didn't help with adapter and i decided to dig more deep in re-enabling integrated GPU in Intel CPU - Intel HD Graphics 4000. And new unlocked BIOS give me a lot of new options to play. But important thing is... some of them working, some of them no. So, here is what i am founded.

First i go to new unlocked BIOS and saw there a lot new tabs.

1.jpg

I go to Advanced => Video Configuration => Special Features

2.jpg

3.JPG

This option already was Enabled (Switch Graphic Function)

4.JPG

After that i go to Internal Graphic Device and Enable Internal Graphics Device.

Then save changes and exit. Laptop is shutdown and after few seconds turn on again. I saw Lenovo loading screen and then nothing when loading complete. Windows didn't start.

I am restarted laptop three times and it's started recovery mode. From recovery mode i am loaded Safe Mode and at that point i am finally was at Windows.

My first way goes to Device Manager to see new device. And there was new device - Intel HD Graphics 4000. :)

Device_Manager.jpg

In safe mode windows can't access to it's current status, but there also was no error codes. First time there was no driver installed, but now it's even have last driver!

Intel.HD.Graphics.4000.General.jpgIntel.HD.Graphics.4000.Driver.jpgIntel.HD.Graphics.4000.4.jpg

After that i go to AIDA64 Engineer Edition and look what it's show me. It's saw iGPU!

AIDA64.2.jpg

So, at this point i don't what to think about it. I can see iGPU in safe mode, but i can't boot with it in normal Windows. Is AIDA64 lie to me or even Device Manager?

What do your think about it?

P.S. Oh yeah, most menus on Russian language, but i hope your got the idea and trust me. =) It's no fake.

Edited by rusTORK

Hey man, Not booting with the iGPU does not mean it is broken. try to install the stock bios and see if it works. and maybe even reinstall windows.

One of the options in the svl7 custom bios is to choose which display adapter can be used as the main one (to boot with) you could've changed that.

lemme tell you a short story; when i was trying to get geralds adapter work with nvidia cards. i changed an option that changed the *boot gpu* to the *ultrabay one* on svl7 bios, and it literally bricked my y510p, windows would boot and all but no image was shown. luckily i had teamviewer installed to flash the stock bios using another pc.

So is it dead? I highly doubt it. I even doubt that the processor will ever work again if it is dead.

18 hours ago, Tesla said:

Hey man, Not booting with the iGPU does not mean it is broken. try to install the stock bios and see if it works.

Stock BIOS don't give me option to switch betweed iGPU and dGPU.

So is it dead? I highly doubt it. I even doubt that the processor will ever work again if it is dead.

I have no problems to boot with dGPU in Windows. Everything working perfectly fine.

When i enable iGPU i got black screen after LENOVO logo and no windows login screen. At the same time, i may boot in windows safe mode even with network drivers. With iGPU enabled! How is that?

One of the options in the svl7 custom bios is to choose which display adapter can be used as the main one (to boot with) you could've changed that.

Your probably talking about this option?

IMG_6203.JPG

IGFX - iGPU

PEG (PCI Express Graphic) - dGPU?

PCI - ?

SG - Switchabe Graphics?

lemme tell you a short story; when i was trying to get geralds adapter work with nvidia cards. i changed an option that changed the *boot gpu* to the *ultrabay one* on svl7 bios, and it literally bricked my y510p, windows would boot and all but no image was shown. luckily i had teamviewer installed to flash the stock bios using another pc.

Your should be able to get in BIOS, it's only display don't show your anything. For that situation i write buttons combination to load default settings with black screen.

Do your saw your desktop via TeamViewer on bricked Y510P?

Edited by rusTORK

3 hours ago, rusTORK said:

Stock BIOS don't give me option to switch betweed iGPU and dGPU.

I have no problems to boot with dGPU in Windows. Everything working perfectly fine.

When i enable iGPU i got black screen after LENOVO logo and no windows login screen. At the same time, i may boot in windows safe mode even with network drivers. With iGPU enabled! How is that?

Your probably talking about this option?

IMG_6203.JPG

IGFX - iGPU

PEG (PCI Express Graphic) - dGPU?

PCI - ?

SG - Switchabe Graphics?

yes that one. xD

3 hours ago, rusTORK said:

Your should be able to get in BIOS, it's only display don't show your anything. For that situation i write buttons combination to load default settings with black screen.

Do your saw your desktop via TeamViewer on bricked Y510P?

yes, that what I did.

and yeah I've never thought of key combos to reset the bios. thats smart. well you could always remove the CMOS battery but that will mean i have to disassemble the whole laptop

Edited by Tesla

@Tesla So, if your saw desktop of your bricked Y510P on another PC via TeamViewer i may guess that:

1.) CPU working fine;

2.) Need to do tests of iGPU from that mode (with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool).

If test will be complete that mean that iGPU working fine. If so, that mean that there just no connection (or proper setup in BIOS) between iGPU with Display. Another words - system sent picture from iGPU to nowhere (or somewhere where is no anything - like port with no display). It's also may be a hardware problem and it's may be difficult to solve (all that soldering stuff with small jumpers and resistors, capasitors, e.t.c.).

If test can't be complete or will fail - yeah, in that case iGPU clearly dead.

ANYWAY, it's interesting kind of information.

Also, are TeamViewer autostart on your PC (Y510P) with windows loading? How your may run TeamViewer on bricked PC when display is black?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Back to topic.

Laptop Configuration (what's new):

eGPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming (11G-P4-6593-KB, bought used 1 year or so);
ePSU: 430W Seasonic S12II-430 (SS-430GB);
Ultrabay-to-PCI-E adapter /2 (custom made by user gerald, connected insted of second GeForce GT 650M);
HDMI Monitor Emulator (connected to eGPU).

Windows: (x64, 10 Pro, v1803, build 17134.286)

GPU-Z_iGPU_Enabled.png.df2afcdcc8eff67591741f0a0156f31b.png

I got this result after:

1. Enable Internal Graphics Device in BIOS;

2. Install Intel drivers for HD 4000;

3. Disable HD 4000 in Device Manager;

4. Re-boot.

When system booting, at Lenovo logo screen i got freeze, but i hear windows loaded sound. So, i disconnected HDMI eumlator from eGPU, picture switched to windows login screen, i enter password and may see desktop.

Here is screenshot from AIDA64:

AIDA64_iGPU.thumb.png.ac33a4b31983de15e1a90bcdc389196a.png

You may see, that dGPU now have got PCI Express x16 3.0 instead of 2.0, but dGPU was also disabled in BIOS (Special Features = Disabled).

Here is screenshot from Device Manager:

Device_manager_iGPU_Disabled.png.7cc0fa378d4a569eb813879632a4848d.png

If i will enable Intel HD4000 in Windows - system got instant freeze. After that i must go in Safe Mode and disable Intel HD4000 in Device Manager to be able to boot normally.

Edited by rusTORK

• 3 years later...

So I'm running PopOS!, and I've got the svl7 modded bios; like the OP it allows me to enable the integrated graphics, but boots to a black screen. The Linux boot process shows an error about not being to set the backlight level of acpivideo0 (or some such). So this has me wondering a couple of things:

1) Did Lenovo remove some traces on the MB?

2) Is it possible there's a configuration mismatch with the eDP/LVDS settings in the bios?

3) Is the refresh rate too high for the Intel chip, and if so what needs to change?