Lenovo W520 build

SimonLL

Hi all,

After years of contemplating the idea, I have finally decided to try a DIY eGPU on my 5 years old Lenovo W520. So I just received my ExpressCard PE4C v3.0 and Corsair CX430. The GPU in the mail is a EVGA GTX 1050Ti SC Gaming. From the research I've made, it seems I should have a relatively painless and easy experience making it work with this particular laptop. There are a couple of clarifications that I would need before starting if someone knowledgeable could help me.

- Do I need only the 24 pin ATX plug from the PSU into the PE4C? 

- I understand the eGPU can run the laptop screen if I set the BIOS to Integrated graphics and Optimus OS Detection to enabled. Is that right?

- Is it possible to use both the dGPU (nVidia Quadro 1000M) and the eGPU? I would like to use both for Davinci Resolve work where the dGPU would drive the interface and the eGPU would be used only for calculations. Is that a possible setup?

Thanks for your help, I will post more about my experience when I get my card.

My system:

Lenovo w520 4270-CTO

Intel Core i7 2760QM Sandy Bridge

16GB RAM DDR3

Quadro 1000M 2GB 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.