P377sma-1070N Display (b173zan01.0) blackscreen

Darcoder

I need help if someone know what is happening or how to correct it.

I have a p377sma with prema bios, a msi 1070n, display lg 120hz ( lp173wf2) and auo 60hz ( b173zan01.0). Both can be connected to my edp port.

Without Nvidia driver ( windows 10 ), both displays can be recognized and can be used.
With Nvidia driver installed, lg 120Hz working. But my custom 4k auo give a blackscreen during installation of the driver. To mention, this auo screen was working fine with 980m sli.

Someone know why it doesnt work? 

This auo screen is a mod ( where i mod the cable edp), i can control brightness only with windows ( not with hotkey, but hotkey to shutdown screen is still working)

With the help of Prema, i tried some vbios without success, i tried new windows installation, even with legacy and uefi.

Thank you for any help!

Does the 4k work in 4k mode prior to the Nvidia driver install, or is windows running it at a lower resolution? What if you install the driver with the 1070 disabled?

If you have access to an external screen does that work with the 4k connected? With the 4k connected is the 1070 otherwise still working fine?

without Nvidia driver, i can only choose 1080p or yes, 2160p. But it is detected at 64Hz ( also the lg panel without driver is detected at 64Hz)

if i instal nvidia driver, it goes black screen. i reboot with a hdmi screen and display (4k) not detected by system but i can use fn+f2 to turn on/off backlight.

If i disable nvidia driver 1070n in device manager, once i restart, screen is detected

And if i reactivate 1070N, the screen shutdown. Sometime before the screen shutdown, i see a lot of green or yellow horizontal lignes. 

Yes the display in hdmi work fine with or without the 4k screen connected. Also instead of the 4k, if i plug a 120hz lg ( edp), it work fine 

Ugh this is strange and makes me worried about what will happen when my 3k screen shows up (4k seems too high for 15.6").

HWINFO64 can read out the screen EDID in the image below. Can it still read this data with the Nvidia driver installed? I'm trying to figure out if EDID reading or eDP output is messed up with the driver.

monedid.png

In the display properties is it not detected by the system at all, or it is detected and enabled but displays nothing?

Edited by Khenglish

Not detected with nvidia driver installed in system and hwinfo. if i disable it and restart, detected. Even not detected, i can use hotkey to shutdown the backlight.

i ordered a 3k 120Hz ( b173qtn01.0) i hope.it gonna work :s

But it happen only with 1070N.

With 980m Sli bith screen working..

So idk what is wrong...why it is working in boot and when windows load it goes bl1ckscreen

Edited by Darcoder

Ok so it's definitely a problem on the screen detection side and not the display output side (I was thinking maybe 4 lane edp was the issue but it's not). The screen should always be read by hwinfo64 as that's a straight spi bus read by the gpu. This means the gpu isn't even trying to read the display, or tries but fails.

As for how to fix this... idk. I'll check your mobo schematic and see if anything looks off compared to other systems with edp.

Thank you for help. But why it doesnt want to read this display and its fine with a old lg 120Hz edp too. I thaught its because screen wasnt "an official upgrade"

i ordered an b173qtn01.0 to test if it will detect it as it is also a 120Hz.

On 1/4/2017 at 8:01 PM, Khenglish said:

Ok so it's definitely a problem on the screen detection side and not the display output side (I was thinking maybe 4 lane edp was the issue but it's not). The screen should always be read by hwinfo64 as that's a straight spi bus read by the gpu. This means the gpu isn't even trying to read the display, or tries but fails.

As for how to fix this... idk. I'll check your mobo schematic and see if anything looks off compared to other systems with edp.

You had some free time to check?

4 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Honestly I can't see why it shouldn't work. Sorry.

:( Do you know if its possible to change edid in hardware not software? i mean is it possible to emulate it as my 120hz lg but in nvidia option overclock it for 4k? 

14 hours ago, Darcoder said:

:( Do you know if its possible to change edid in hardware not software? i mean is it possible to emulate it as my 120hz lg but in nvidia option overclock it for 4k? 

That actually is doable. The screen won't work until you reach windows though, but you can make an EDID override to make it work run in windows.

Edited by Khenglish

Indeed, i saw that gsync was active.... i try to desactivate all option i could read linked to gsyinc...but it gave me the same result :/

ANd i cant even instal another vbios..... mine is A1 means no gsync... but b1 means gsync vbios.... if i try to instal a b1... i always have the missmatch error with nvflash

12 hours ago, Khenglish said:

Actually that gives me an idea. It may be trying to run gsync, but you're missing the physical sync line. Use Nvidiainspector to make such gsync is disabled.

there is no a way to delet this gsync info on the screen hardware?

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone who find a solution to make work the auo display on my laptop in windows  with nvidia driver installed, as i mention it on nbr forum, i will offer 100$.

New information: both screen working on linux with nvidia driver.

Edited by Darcoder

Would a PremaMod custom BIOS cause an HDCP error in general? As I don't seem to be able to get any output even though detected in nvidia control panel.

@Darcoder have you ever used CRU monitor before? Wonder if you overclocked each monitor to be the same output it could make a difference? Or get a splitter that can bypass the signal?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

On 2/14/2017 at 10:44 AM, AKRoxborough said:

Would a PremaMod custom BIOS cause an HDCP error in general? As I don't seem to be able to get any output even though detected in nvidia control panel.

@Darcoder have you ever used CRU monitor before? Wonder if you overclocked each monitor to be the same output it could make a difference? Or get a splitter that can bypass the signal?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

im not using hdmi or dp port, i try to use the edp port, that one inside of the laptop. display is only detected with maxwell gpu, with pascal gpu, it doesnt work once nvidia is installed or during instalation of the display driver from nvida driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/18/2017 at 1:14 PM, Darcoder said:

im not using hdmi or dp port, i try to use the edp port, that one inside of the laptop. display is only detected with maxwell gpu, with pascal gpu, it doesnt work once nvidia is installed or during instalation of the display driver from nvida driver.

Wondering if it is indeed a BIOS issue, it not recognising the pascal GPU. Could you possibly compile a PM to me with your exact issues, what you have tried, what you are trying to do, I will review it over the next week and see if I can come up with some suggestions. I never let a computer problem defeat me. So it will annoy me if I don't fix it hahaha.

20 hours ago, AKRoxborough said:

Wondering if it is indeed a BIOS issue, it not recognising the pascal GPU. Could you possibly compile a PM to me with your exact issues, what you have tried, what you are trying to do, I will review it over the next week and see if I can come up with some suggestions. I never let a computer problem defeat me. So it will annoy me if I don't fix it hahaha.

i cant sent u a pm, it say: cant receive any message.

So here was my PM:

Hi,

So about my issue, to say in a few words, i have a p377sma PREMA bios with 1070n ( non gsync vbios )

In the beginning, i had sli 980m with an lg edp 120Hz 1080p display. 

I upgrade it to a 2160p auo display with a custom cable i made. it was working perfectly, only hotkey for brightness wasnt working, but a little regedit in nvidia  to allow brightness control from windows or control center was the solution. ( hotkey is for keyboard fn+f8-9 )

All drivers were working.

Then i decide to upgrade to 1070n msi gpu. 

SO, when nvidia driver is not installed, it is "working" i mean i can do everything without any gpu requirment since intelhd are desactivated in our laptop. As the gpu is unknow in system, i need to mod .inf driver and to start laptop with driver without signature ( f7). Once i am in driver menu, once i click "accept this unofficial driver display", screen goes black. i still can contorl the fn+f2 ( to disable/enable backlight )well sometimes it is not working. if i wait a bit and shutdown laptop and i restart it. screen is still black, i can use hdmi with a projector and driver are installed. but display is not detected. not detected in hwinfo, in regedit, in windows or nvidia, no where. If i disable driver nvidia in device manager and restart the laptop screen is working BUT once i go in device manager to enable driver, screen go black. If i shutdown and replace my old lg 120Hz screen, it is first bugging with a black screen then the second restart, the screen work. i can shutdown, resart, enable/disable driver in device manager, lg screen work perfectly.

In linux, my 2160p is recognized with nvidia driver, so far so good with linux. Even the 1440p.

In windows 7 or 8, same issue, blackscreen with nvidia driver installed or during installation at the precise moment when i accept this unsigned driver to be installed.

i tried with a new 1440p 120Hz display, it give same black screen.

My system is not gsync, my gpu in begining was gsync ( same error ) then updated to a non gsync ( same error ). My lg display is not gsync. Both 1440p 2160p are gsync.

i tried some trick but it didnt work:

i tried while lg 120hz plugged to switch with one auo but laptop shutdown for security reason i guess ( detect screen removed) or i tried with hdmi connected, to disable screen laptop ( lg) then sleep mode), switching display then start and enabling, black screen too but detected but nothing can be done, i mean cannot change resolution or idk, it stay black.

i wanted to switch edid in linux but my system is wierd, cant detect in i2c pin to change display edid.

One day i "succeed " something, i suuceed with an old driver while lg 120Hz installed. i sleep mode the laptop, switch screen, then something appear on the AUO 4k, but half of the display work, and this half of display was like divided in 4 little display look this picture. ) other than that, nothing else... :(

This bug in display is what happen  after driver installed or when i booot laptop with an auo display. But big majority (95%) is not so buggy like that, it just a green line upside for a few seconds.

16833630_10155098068764874_1228377516_o.png