Best gaming GPU upgrade options for Precision M6600

Hello folks,

I have a m6600 laptop with i7-2760qm, 8gb ram and a firepro m8900 gfx. I'm looking for a good gfx upgrade for better gaming performance (especially fallout 4). I've locked down on two candidates: FIrepro M6100 and Quadro k4000m. Here's the ebay links for both. The seller assured me that the cards will be compatible with my laptop.

M6100: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-Precisi...252699?hash=item4d46335b9b:g:-VoAAOSw3YNXbT6X

K4000M: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-Dell-M660...512594?hash=item25c38bdad2:g:uzYAAOSwi0RX0AnA

I would like to hear some great advices from all you pros, especially if you have hands on experience on either cards in your m6600 lappy:

1. I wonder if m6100 would be an easier option for my lappy since it's AMD product like my m8900

2. I wonder if I go k4000m do I need to change my x-bracket, rearrange thermal pads or even need to change the heatsink (sorry I haven't changed a laptop gfx before)

I'm in favor of k4000m since it has twice the video memory, more ROPs and TMUs which is great for gaming. M6100 may run a bit cooler and has more OC potential (it has 1050mhz gpu base clock vs 600 for K4000M). All in all, I'm choosing between an underclocked GTX 660 and a HD 7790, though I could bring the K4000M clock up a bit. But Nvidia cards are more optimized for gaming. What's your thought folks?

Of course if you have better options especially if there's anyone has upgraded to gaming cards like GTX 680M, HD 7970M or 760M, 765M, 675M, etc I'm eager to hear from you folks.

Thanks for your inputs!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've successfully upgraded M6600 GPU from Quadro 3000M to Radeon 7970M. I had to modify X-bracked as well. It was a bit too "tall". The installation went without any problems. The GPU works great. Especially with dx12 titles. The only drawback is the gpu memory. I went for 2 GB Radeon, because I wasn't sure if the 4GB version would work with it. I could not find anyone, who had 4GB GPU work in M6600. I think it was a mistake on my behalf and I am thinking to look for 4GB setup/upgrade.

That said, if you looking to upgrade your GPU to some older hi performance card (like 7970M), in my opinion, go for AMD cards, because of massive leap in performance in DX12 titles.

Regards.

Michal 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...