Sign in to follow this  
taipei888

Best gaming GPU upgrade options for Precision M6600

Hello folks,

I have a m6600 laptop with i7-2760qm, 8gb ram and a firepro m8900 gfx. I'm looking for a good gfx upgrade for better gaming performance (especially fallout 4). I've locked down on two candidates: FIrepro M6100 and Quadro k4000m. Here's the ebay links for both. The seller assured me that the cards will be compatible with my laptop.

M6100: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-Precisi...252699?hash=item4d46335b9b:g:-VoAAOSw3YNXbT6X

K4000M: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-Dell-M660...512594?hash=item25c38bdad2:g:uzYAAOSwi0RX0AnA

I would like to hear some great advices from all you pros, especially if you have hands on experience on either cards in your m6600 lappy:

1. I wonder if m6100 would be an easier option for my lappy since it's AMD product like my m8900

2. I wonder if I go k4000m do I need to change my x-bracket, rearrange thermal pads or even need to change the heatsink (sorry I haven't changed a laptop gfx before)

I'm in favor of k4000m since it has twice the video memory, more ROPs and TMUs which is great for gaming. M6100 may run a bit cooler and has more OC potential (it has 1050mhz gpu base clock vs 600 for K4000M). All in all, I'm choosing between an underclocked GTX 660 and a HD 7790, though I could bring the K4000M clock up a bit. But Nvidia cards are more optimized for gaming. What's your thought folks?

Of course if you have better options especially if there's anyone has upgraded to gaming cards like GTX 680M, HD 7970M or 760M, 765M, 675M, etc I'm eager to hear from you folks.

Thanks for your inputs!

Hi,

I've successfully upgraded M6600 GPU from Quadro 3000M to Radeon 7970M. I had to modify X-bracked as well. It was a bit too "tall". The installation went without any problems. The GPU works great. Especially with dx12 titles. The only drawback is the gpu memory. I went for 2 GB Radeon, because I wasn't sure if the 4GB version would work with it. I could not find anyone, who had 4GB GPU work in M6600. I think it was a mistake on my behalf and I am thinking to look for 4GB setup/upgrade.

That said, if you looking to upgrade your GPU to some older hi performance card (like 7970M), in my opinion, go for AMD cards, because of massive leap in performance in DX12 titles.

Regards.

Michal 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Mnky313
      To anyone wondering about eGPUs on M6700s, its not too complicated, there is just a process that must be done on boot every time:
      You need to have the eGPU connected and powered on before booting the laptop, once you get to the Intel RAID screen disconnect the eGPU and wait for windows to load up, once windows is loaded reconnect the eGPU and you *should* be able to use it and be able to hot-swap it (though you should disable it in windows before unplugging it) installing the normal AMD drivers worked fine for me, though the original release of Adrenaline 19.1 blue screened the first time.
      I usually run with 3 1080p monitors attached to the 480, replaced my old i5 desktop with this laptop due to the convenience of storing everything on one machine, the laptop has a 256gb SSD and 2x 750GB hdds in raid 0, there is a 2TB WD black attached to the eSATA on the dock.
      eGPU and external HDD are powered by a 500W evga desktop ATX psu, the EXP GDC's ATX power adapter was clunky and broke while trying to use it, so I just plugged in a CPU 4 pin cable upside down to power it, not worried about it because the bulk of power is coming from the 8 pin on the GPU anyway.
      https://imgur.com/a/L2UUSL2
    • By captcavy
      Hello everyone,, I need your expertise, I have a m17 r4, (2012) unlocked A15 bios thanks to Klem, it has a Gtx 675m in it now, 
      I would like to know the best GPU to upgrade to without losing a lot of the factory functions of the alienware laptop, like being able to use both VGA functions such as intel 4000, and the factory bios for the cooling of the GPU, I don't want to solely rely on the nvidia
      As a full dedicated GPU, let me know what VGA card to get and what vbios to use, I will gladly donate beer to you for your help, or point me to a member on this forum who can help me,
      Thanks, Shelby,  Aka captcavy
    • By MessiWessi
      Hi,

I read a lot of different threads about the maximum possible M17X R2 configuration. But after I was more and more irritated.

What is at the end the best performant GPU solution (with unlocked bios and dirver mod) but WITHOUT manual fan control and such things. Because if I want to sell one day my M17X R2 I don't want to explain and force the buyer to control the GPU fan per hand.  
    • By natasha123
      I want to upgrade my GPU ( K3000M  to other card ) from M6700
      I found it :
      thank u. 

please help  
    • By cactaur1640
      Hello everyone!

So on occasion I host gaming nights over at my house, and usually end up hooking my laptop up to a big TV so me and a couple friends can all play all kinds of multiplayer games (either emulated or off of steam).

But I was recently thinking that it would be fun to get a projector set up, so that we could play on a huge blank wall in my living room.

With that being said: I'm new to purchasing projectors, so I'm not familiar with what kinds of features/specifications I should be looking for (and I'd like to keep the cost down if it's possible).

So I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on what to look for in features/specifications, affordable places to buy from, or just general info on what I'm trying to do. 

Any help would be super appreciated!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.