2015 13" MBP + GTX1060SC@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Hi, 

as of Christmas time i tried my setup

550W PC PSU but will switch for this one once finish testing (220W Switching PSU)

Barrel plug

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC card (fits without bending the box), using 3GB OC version as well with no problems

2015 13" Macbook Pro (model MacBookPro12,1)

Akitio Thunder 2 box

So far using the internal screen (projector Epson EH-TW5100 for testing purposes)

Ext. monitor  Dell  27" S2716DG

Samsung T1 500GB

Win10 (v.1511)

Installed WIN 10 to USB drive first using https://bleeptobleep.blogspot.cz/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html

Had a problem to update to newest version of WIN10 over the windows update(some uEFI hw issues), but it went smoothly once i run this WIN 10 disk as a virtual over VirtualBoxVM http://www.sysprobs.com/mac-os-x-host-boot-virtual-machine-from-usb-in-virtualbox

For powering the box i just removed one connector from PSU(pics bellow) and used RED-yellow/Black cable without soldering to connect the barrel plug

For the GPU i used the 6pin connector from PSU

To install:

- Power on the Box

- Boot to WIN 10

- Hot plug the Thundebolt cable and check the Device manager for new card something like  "Basic Display Adapter"

- Then install the Geforce driver (in my case the version 376.33) as administrator. Even 378.49 works fine

- Then follow the instruction and reboot (don't unplug the cables). Rebooting without ext.monitor plugged in.

- It should boot again in WIN10 (select win 10 during the boot). It requires a bit patience here during spinning wheel. I made a ham&eggs meanwhile (approx. 10-15minutes). I don't have to select the system after chime because my system starts automaticly when USB with Win10 is plugged in

EGPU is working until the next reboot of Win10 in that case i need to reinstall the drivers (but it's worth those 8 minutes :) )

- Remove the old drivers by DDU tool (Display driver uninstaller) http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

- Install the driver again as described above and it should work again

Remarks:

I was running fine even on build 1607 of Win10 but after some microsoft update it stopped working. So i reverted back to build 1511 again (see below what i have installed from Microsoft) 

I found out that i don't really need to reinstall the drivers again. Just doing this:

-  turn off the Mac,

- plug in the th2

- then turn the Mac on and just after chime turn on the egpu (It will not boot with the win for first time, but the win it self boots)

- Then i just restart the win and not touching the th2 cable. And that's it. eGPU is up and running. (there is spinning wheel but all it takes is 2-3minutes)

PPS: Don't let the windows to go to screensaver or powersaver mode. It will disconnect the eGPU

Work in progress

IMG_20161228_091438.jpg

Its a snug fit

IMG_20161228_091557.jpg

This cable i used to power box (yellow and black wire)

IMG_20161226_203640.jpg

Work in progress

IMG_20161228_091449.jpg

UpdatesWIN10.PNG

Edited by honzicek69
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good to see your setup is working. I purchased the 1060 ZOTAC 6GB card along with the Akitio TB2 (Early 2015 MBPr iGPU). I'm still having issues getting it up and running. I usually either get stuck at the spinning wheel on startup, or the GPU is not detected.

When I am fortunate enough to boot and install the Nvidia Drivers then I have issues after rebooting and start from step one again...

I'll download the DDU tool and see what I can do.

@bradandrew: You must install the Goalque's automate-eGPU script for avoiding the spinning wheel or GPU not detected and do this:

Booting into Windows with always working GTX 980 Ti (and maybe other)  - automate-eGPU-Script with "-a" switch already installed:

1. Boot into OS X - TB unplugged 
  2. Plug TB in and restart OS X - from now on TB is plugged in
  3. Boot into OSX again  and restart OS X
  4. Boot into Windows - Check Device Manager - only 750M will appear
  5. Restart Windows - Check Device Manager - 750M AND 980 Ti are enabled 

20 hours ago, irokez said:

@bradandrew: You must install the Goalque's automate-eGPU script for avoiding the spinning wheel or GPU not detected and do this:

But this script is for MAC only what i read. So far there is no support for 10xx cards in Mac OS

On 1/2/2017 at 0:13 AM, irokez said:

But this script is for MAC only what i read. So far there is no support for 10xx cards in Mac OS

Edit: But i got it to work it again. Somehow stopped working and i needed to reinstall Win on USB. After reinstallation it wasn't working so i tried the Goalque script and then it starts to work again with 376.33

EDIT Jan 7th. It stopped working after win 10 automatic update again. Black screen even after reinstalation of drivers :( (First post above updated as well)

Little bit of OC, GPU +155, RAM +300 (still internal display)

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 22.57.40.png

Edited by honzicek69

• 3 weeks later...

@honzicek69 Can you run the Unigine Heaven Benchmark with this settings (see the picture) on the internal retina display please?

tb2.png

I have closer to your video card (EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Super Clocked (1607 /1835) GAMING 6GB) but my Macbook Retina 15' (mid 2012) have Thunderbolt™ 1 i want to see the deference between TB1 and TB2 :)

Also you can try with Nvidia 376.09 - i have no problems with this driver and all games runs perfect with it :)

Hi,

here are 2 results with the same settings.

OC GPU +120Mhz  Mem +300Mhz (2126Mhz and 4304Mhz)

External display (in my case Full HD projector)

fullhd_ext2126a4304.PNG

Internal Display

fullhd2075-4303.PNG 

Edited by honzicek69

So you buy the same video card like me? -  EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Super Clocked (1607 /1835) GAMING 6GB ?

Here is my result with  GPU +120Mhz  Mem +300Mhz (2126Mhz and 4304Mhz)

Internal Display:

heaven1.png

So its the same, thank you for now i dont need to move to TB2, i will have the same performance!

Thanks for the tests ;)

Edited by enjoy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the method with installing the drivers again works 4/5 times.

Another method is to boot to win10 and after some time plug in the TH2 cable a switch on the egpu. From this point i experience 2 different behavior:

1 - blue screen with error and auto restart - from this it will boot up again with egpu already on

2- restart your self and sometimes it boots with egpu on.

I usually try the second option 3-4 tiimes and if it doesnt work i go with the reinstall option

On 25/3/2017 at 1:20 AM, honzicek69 said:

Hi,

the method with installing the drivers again works 4/5 times.

Another method is to boot to win10 and after some time plug in the TH2 cable a switch on the egpu. From this point i experience 2 different behavior:

1 - blue screen with error and auto restart - from this it will boot up again with egpu already on

2- restart your self and sometimes it boots with egpu on.

I usually try the second option 3-4 tiimes and if it doesnt work i go with the reinstall option

Hi @honzicek69 

I have downgraded to windows 8.1 and the system works perfectly. Window 10 is very difficult. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was having issues with startup lately and it showed up that the card is dead. I tried to connect 1060 to regular mobo and it didnt even detect the card. So the something is wrong with the card it self not the connection procedure.