Latest News
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
Laferu

EGPU with NVIDIA GTX 1050 ti

Laferu    1

I want to exchange my 750 ti for 1050 ti. Would you like to know if the GTX 1050 ti is compatible with EGPU? 

Sorry for my bad english. 

Shez    18

Yes! I'm using my zotac GTX 1050 ti with akitio thunder2 without any mod!

Just change default DC power to <100W. I will post my implementation soon.

Gaximus    0
27 minutes ago, Shez said:

Yes! I'm using my zotac GTX 1050 ti with akitio thunder2 without any mod!

Just change default DC power to <100W. I will post my implementation soon.

I'm trying to do the same set up. Are you able to use it in macOS? 

Also did you mean >100W?

Shez    18
On 12/28/2016 at 10:16 AM, Gaximus said:

I'm trying to do the same set up. Are you able to use it in macOS? 

Also did you mean >100W?

I will try it with macOS tomorrow. I'm using this DC from aliexpress, working stable for hours at max load. 

There is only one problem, optimus is not working (on Windows), since gtx1050 not yet supported to be used as eGPU officially by nvidia drivers.

Edited by Shez

tovarish    0
On 12/29/2016 at 6:33 AM, Shez said:

I will try it with macOS tomorrow. I'm using this DC from aliexpress, working stable for hours at max load. 

There is only one problem, optimus is not working (on Windows), since gtx1050 not yet supported to be used as eGPU officially by nvidia drivers.

Your DC is 150W while the max supported power rating for the Akitio is 120W. Could this fry some of the internals?

Are you using an external monitor since you say that Optimus is not working?

A noob    2

me too i end up returning my GTX 1050Ti and bought the RX470, well no issue no error no problem!

Capture.PNG

Isthernes    0
On 1/21/2017 at 4:50 AM, K'nuckles said:

I keep getting error 43. anyone else? any tips how to slove it?

Hope that I do not came too late (more than one month...)

I got rid of the error 43 uninstalling all the nvidia software, cleaning the Windows register (using CC Cleaner) and installing then the 375.63 drivers. That version seems to be the only one that works, at least with my GTX 1050.

Did you tried that already?

sholikhudin    0

On 3/1/2017 at 5:02 PM, Isthernes said:

Hope that I do not came too late (more than one month...)

I got rid of the error 43 uninstalling all the nvidia software, cleaning the Windows register (using CC Cleaner) and installing then the 375.63 drivers. That version seems to be the only one that works, at least with my GTX 1050.

Did you tried that already?

Hi,

what adapter you used? i'm using expgdc beast v8 using mpcie, but still getting error 43, i've installed 375.63, latest driver but my gtx 1050 still get error code 43

Isthernes    0

@sholikhudin, unfortunatelly error 43 came again without any driver upgrade (at least, not intentional) :-(

That's very frustrating! I am considering moving to AMD RX 460...

Ajayajayaj    0
Posted (edited)

Are you using mpcie? It looks like we may have to mod our bios to enable hot plugging. I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

EDIT: A new discovery has been found. Modding your bios is now NOT the only solution. Here is a solution Hope it works for you!

Edited by Ajayajayaj

Isthernes    0

No, I am using the same adapter but via ExpressCard.

Finally I made it work again yesterday. Looks like Windows Update was updating the GPU driver but itself, leading to error 43 again and again.

Those were my steps:

- With the eGPU disconnected, removed all nVidia drivers using DDU. 

- Disable automatic driver updates. Sorry, I cannot put external links here, but you can google for it, it's quite easy.

- Shut the computer down

- Plug the adapter

- Start the computer

- Install the 375.73 drivers (express install)

- Reboot again.

Happened that after the first reboot, the GPU stayed in error 12, but after rebooting once again, started to work.

Played Space Engineers and did some photo editing for a couple of hours without problems.

Good luck!

SoulKnot    0

Hi, Sorry for reviving this.

This thread was the most useful thing I could find on making my GTX 1050ti eGPU setup via mPCIE to work. 

I followed Isthernes step by step guide except for the 375.73 drivers seems to be undefinable to download right now, in which case I used the 375.63 drivers which was also reported to work. 

I am able to DDU uninstall all Nvidia drivers fine and install 375.63 drivers with eGPU plugged in. When I reboot though, I get a very blue BSOD IRQL NOT LESS OF EQUAL...

If the answer for this is simply to use the 375.73 drivers, could someone share a link or indicate where to download such driver version? 

Isthernes    0

Hi @SoulKnot, I am glad that my instrunctions worked for you.

Here is a link to the 375.73 drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/109860/en-us

In any case, I saw that Windows 10 tends to "upgrade" de drivers by himself silently sometimes. When this happens, my external display does not work at all, and I need to force windows to rollback to the previous drivers via the Windows Device Manager.

Good luck!

SoulKnot    0

Hi @Isthernes thank you for the quick response!

That would be the link for the 375.63 not the .73. But I am assuming by now that the .73 was a typo and you really meant .63? 

Plug the adapter

- Start the computer

- Install the 375.73 drivers (express install)

- Reboot again.

If that is the case, I've just tried this same 375.63 driver and am getting blue screens on booting. 

Is your setup still working good? Did you do anything with the eGPU Setup 1.35 software to make it work? I am willing to buy it if it will help me. 

Also my Asus x555f has a dGPU 930m in it... i wonder if that is the culprit right there. 

Isthernes    0

You are right, the link points to the .73 instead of the .63. Sorry for that :( I am not sure at the moment which version did I use, but I can check later one this afternoon (EU time), sice I have that PC at home.

I did not use eGPU setup at all. I even did not mody any driver, since I am not using the integrated laptop screen, but it's also true that my laptop has only the Intel iGPU. Did you try to check the BIOS config? Are you using mPCIe or ExpressCard? 

Another thing that can help is to run the "nvidia DDU" before any driver re-install.

Ajayajayaj    0

Did you mod your bios to enable hot plugging. I had to to get it working.

SoulKnot    0

Thanks again, you guys. I'm on mPCIE and I use DDU every time but no luck.

After researching a bit, I did see that apparently the only way to get this GPU working currently is to enable Hot Plugging in BIOS like @Ajayajayaj mentioned. Which makes me more curious to know how @Isthernes got it working. 375.63 driver did not work for me.

My Bios does not have the hot plugging feature available, and a modded version of my Bios seems to be non-existent. I am pretty adventurous with this kind of things but I have zero experience with moding BIOS files. @Ajayajayaj Did you do it on yours by yourself? Could you teach me or direct to where or who can try to mod my Asus x555l laptop bios?

Ajayajayaj    0
Posted (edited)

Hey @SoulKnot, check [redacted please private message for the link] (where I found out how), there is a post about it. I can walk you through if you would like (to unlock it yourself and modify it yourself to enable hotplugging). I'm pretty sure you have an Ami bios (because you have Asus like me). I did a stupid mistake and corrupted my bios and had to get a programmer and program it by opening up the computer, but now that I know the mistake, I can make sure you don't do it. (There is a notice on the techinferno unlocking tutorial, that's from me).

@SoulKnot [ send a private message for a link to a tutorial online ]. Send a private message if you want me to try to walk you through it.

I had zero experience before, but now that I have done it, I know it's not that hard. I was very hesitant to do it.

Edited by Ajayajayaj

Isthernes    0

@SoulKnot, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 and I use the eGPU via the ExpressCard slot.

Therefore, I do not need any BIOS modification, since the EC slot it's, by definition, hotplug.

Definitley, making it work with mPCIe is quite painful!

SoulKnot    0

I see! By express card, that makes sense! 

Okay I'll look into modding bios tutorials here in the forum, learn the process and just verify what I learned with you @Ajayajayaj. I'll be private messaging you sometime this week then. 

Thanks again you guys!

Hi guys,

I'm also having problems, my computer would often run for a good couple of hours relatively stable then boom, BSOD. I'm still trying to get through it using Setup 1.x and it still doesn't work. Here's what I've done. 

My setup is an MSI GS70 2PE 1772, running a GTX1050TI, using a EXP GDC Beast v.8 running on PCIe. 

First I verified that my PCIe bus was hot pluggable, which is wasn't. So I then made changes to my bios which enabled hot plugging for that specific bus. 

Running PSU on at all times I fired it up but none of the drivers worked, except for 375.70 which is what I still currently have installed.

I've also set my drivers to never update, yes including disabling all windows automatic updates lol. dGPU has been both on on-demoted and off on 32 bit compactions. 

So yes, it's amaaazing when it works, but the instability of it is getting on my nerves especially when it crashes mid game. 

So yea, sharing my experiences and hoping for some help as well. Sorry for the long post =/

SoulKnot    0

Hey @TheChinFather any luck with your BSODs?

I was going to sujest you try diferent drivers, anything under 375.70