GTX 1060 in GT70 and GT72

Bloetschkopf

They are a bit different, mine is Haswell based CPU, no NVMe ssd support and the chipsets are way different, but, given that my display is eDP and not LVDS, and I have been running the 980m in dedicated mode since I bought it(never used the iGPU nor have I the drivers for it installed, even with the 980m always running I can get hover 2h of battery, if just browsing around it lasts for 3h), I'm hopping that it will work ok.

What is the device ID of the card you have ? - AFAIK there are two avaialable - 1C20 and 1C60. One being G-sync one non-G-sync.
Mine looks same as yours on the picture but it is probably G-sync version. IIRC its either optimus or gsync. Never both at the same time.

Optimus did NOT work in my GT70 4th gen.
Card worked well on external screen. But as long as I was using built-in screen, only intelHD was used.
Plus, you cannot cross flash 1C20 and 1C60 vBIOS.

Edit:

mine is 1C60 with 86.06.19.00.08 vBIOS.
Seems like yours too.

What the heck ???
I have same card, same system and my card does not support Optimus.
Also, the keyboard backlight is all messed up with the card installed - seems like something with EC firmware.
Did you change anything in BIOS by chance ?
Or was it plug n play + modded inf ?
Windows 10 ?

Edited by Bugii

Mine was also 1C60 ith 86.06.19.00.08 vBIOS  with ID  1C6011FF

The color from Powerswitch don´t change color,but u can control it with Nvidia programm.

I switched to Intel GPU and start Benchmark,Benchmark works with 8 frames.

Cahnged back to automaticly,Benchmark use Nvidia GPU.

taht works als with other Programs.

Your Keyboard Problem is not from the Card,this is from Steelseries Engine.

I change nothing in Bios.

Plug&Play with modded INF

On 11/01/2017 at 6:02 PM, Bugii said:

What is the device ID of the card you have ? - AFAIK there are two avaialable - 1C20 and 1C60. One being G-sync one non-G-sync.
Mine looks same as yours on the picture but it is probably G-sync version. IIRC its either optimus or gsync. Never both at the same time.

Optimus did NOT work in my GT70 4th gen.
Card worked well on external screen. But as long as I was using built-in screen, only intelHD was used.
Plus, you cannot cross flash 1C20 and 1C60 vBIOS.

Edit:

mine is 1C60 with 86.06.19.00.08 vBIOS.
Seems like yours too.

What the heck ???
I have same card, same system and my card does not support Optimus.
Also, the keyboard backlight is all messed up with the card installed - seems like something with EC firmware.
Did you change anything in BIOS by chance ?
Or was it plug n play + modded inf ?
Windows 10 ?

Download DDU(Driver Driver uninstaller): https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html

Reboot into safe mode, remove Nvidia drivers, remove Intel drivers, reboot, install latest Intel iGPU driver, reboot, install Nvidia driver, reboot, try again.

Make sure that Intel Chipset, Management Engine drivers are also installed.

SSE2.0 is a buggy mess, mine will not work randomly after I plug my Rival 300 a dozen times into the laptop because the Rival 300 needs SSE3 and the keyboard only support SSE2.0 so everytime SSE3 updates the .inf get scrambled and SSE2 will no longer detect keyboard.

The same happened after I installed Atmel Studio, and after I installed CodeComposer from TI, every software that mess's with USB drivers will kill my SSE2.0, the solution is simple, just re-install it and reboot.

22 hours ago, Bloetschkopf said:

Mine was also 1C60 ith 86.06.19.00.08 vBIOS  with ID  1C6011FF

The color from Powerswitch don´t change color,but u can control it with Nvidia programm.

I switched to Intel GPU and start Benchmark,Benchmark works with 8 frames.

Cahnged back to automaticly,Benchmark use Nvidia GPU.

taht works als with other Programs.

Your Keyboard Problem is not from the Card,this is from Steelseries Engine.

I change nothing in Bios.

Plug&Play with modded INF

Well mine didnt work that way. It never switched to 1060 on built-in screen. I had to connect external screen to HDMI. When disconnected, it didnt switch back to intel - I had to reboot PC.
When I put back the old GTX970M, the keyboard backlight worked again. (but I remember it has something to do with motherboard EC firmware, once I flashed wrong one and I had similar issue)

1 hour ago, senso said:

Download DDU(Driver Driver uninstaller): https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html

Reboot into safe mode, remove Nvidia drivers, remove Intel drivers, reboot, install latest Intel iGPU driver, reboot, install Nvidia driver, reboot, try again.

Make sure that Intel Chipset, Management Engine drivers are also installed.

SSE2.0 is a buggy mess, mine will not work randomly after I plug my Rival 300 a dozen times into the laptop because the Rival 300 needs SSE3 and the keyboard only support SSE2.0 so everytime SSE3 updates the .inf get scrambled and SSE2 will no longer detect keyboard.

The same happened after I installed Atmel Studio, and after I installed CodeComposer from TI, every software that mess's with USB drivers will kill my SSE2.0, the solution is simple, just re-install it and reboot.

Keybaord backlight wasn't a deal breaker for me ... white lights worked, just the colors didn't, so screw that.

My problem is optimus didnt work at all.
The only way to switch to GTX was using external screen. When I used both displays in extended, and run game in windowed mode, it worked fine on ext.screen but as I dragged the window to laptop screen, intel HD kicked in and I had like 10fps. basically the GTX1060 was not rendering to internal screen at all.
I've tried DDU, tried several drivers (new, old, even older..) as well as clean OS install on spare HDD.
There was no way to switch to GTX with internal screen only.

I was convinced the problem is that my card has g-sync. And if I'm not mistaken, G-sync and optimus cannot be on the card at the same time.
I was like ok, so the card doesn't have optimus. ...until I found this thread.

On 1/9/2017 at 9:27 AM, andrzejz78 said:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11892476

1060 OC and 4940MX OC 4x 4.3GHz (no TDP lock) :80:

It is in UEFI. Running Windows 10.
I don't have "no screen" issue. Both GTX 1060 and intel GPU work. Problem is, Optimus does not work. - it's not possible to switch GPUs.
With internal screen I have intel GPU only. With external HDMI screen, I have GTX only.  Laptop will never switch to GTX on internal screen.

Edited by Bugii

• 2 weeks later...

@majster msi Please let us know how you get on. Also what will be handy is if you could bench the card to see if it throttles as well as using a Hardware monitoring software that displays power draw.

I can see i am going to be fighting with my inner self with the GTX1060 or GTX1070 battle of which one i should get.