Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

I'm having issues rebooting from setup 1.30 into windows. It reboots to a black screen, and I can't seem to get the adapter to show up in device manager after the fact.
This is a Lenovo Thinkpad E540 with no whitelisting (as far as I can tell), an AMD Radeon R9 380 on Windows 10.

Steps taken are as follows :
1.) set long memory (device was detected on hard reboot but never a restart)

2.) ran Guru3D's device driver uninstaller, uninstalled the PCI Express Root Complex (as thats all i saw related to PCIE in device manager)

3.) rebooted into Setup 1.30 from a hard shutdown

4.) ran pci compaction with the scope set as the egpu and the second menu (cant remember off the top of my head what it is), i selected none

5.) rebooted from the setup 1.30 menu and it booted to a black screen.

I have tried to unplug the egpu immediately after selecting reboot in the setup 1.30 menu, it comes back with video but having plugged the mpcie adapter in at various times (in the grub loader menu, during the aux menu (F8 key), and the adapter refuses to show up. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the steps inside of Setup 1.30 or I'm failing to understand the hotswapping. If the egpu is plugged in and powered on from a hard shutdown and power on, it shows up perfectly in device manager and in setup 1.30, but always a black screen when in place from a software reboot. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

6 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I'm having issues rebooting from setup 1.30 into windows. It reboots to a black screen, and I can't seem to get the adapter to show up in device manager after the fact.
This is a Lenovo Thinkpad E540 with no whitelisting (as far as I can tell), an AMD Radeon R9 380 on Windows 10.

I have tried to unplug the egpu immediately after selecting reboot in the setup 1.30 menu, it comes back with video but having plugged the mpcie adapter in at various times (in the grub loader menu, during the aux menu (F8 key), and the adapter refuses to show up. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the steps inside of Setup 1.30 or I'm failing to understand the hotswapping. If the egpu is plugged in and powered on from a hard shutdown and power on, it shows up perfectly in device manager and in setup 1.30, but always a black screen when in place from a software reboot. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

To apply any of the PCIe changes made in Setup 1.30 requires that you perform Chainloading rather that a reboot. Proceed then to do this by:

1. Set Chainloader->mode=MBR. Confirm Chainloading to your Windows bootmenu, then into Windows works by doing Chainloader->Test Run. If not, alter the Chainloader settings until it does.

2. Perform your PCI compaction as outlined when highlight PCI Compaction->Run compact and hit F1 (help)

3.  Test your PCI compaction by doing Chainloader->Test Run.  If system fails to chainload or is unstable review the PCI compaction settings  (highlight PCI Compaction->Run compact and hit F1 (help)) as well as (temporarily at least) set your eGPU port to Gen1 speed by selecting PCIe Ports->Gen1 until stability is reached.

1 hour ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

To apply any of the PCIe changes made in Setup 1.30 requires that you perform Chainloading rather that a reboot. Proceed then to do this by:

1. Set Chainloader->mode=MBR. Confirm Chainloading to your Windows bootmenu, then into Windows works by doing Chainloader->Test Run. If not, alter the Chainloader settings until it does.

2. Perform your PCI compaction as outlined when highlight PCI Compaction->Run compact and hit F1 (help)

3.  Test your PCI compaction by doing Chainloader->Test Run.  If system fails to chainload or is unstable review the PCI compaction settings  (highlight PCI Compaction->Run compact and hit F1 (help)) as well as (temporarily at least) set your eGPU port to Gen1 speed by selecting PCIe Ports->Gen1 until stability is reached.

Thanks! Further question if you don't mind, after the scope is set as the egpu, should I select none or the internal on the second prompt? 
Sorry for the pointless repost by the way, I hadn't gotten a notification on here yet! :o

Edit - Compaction with egpu as scope, igpu to 32bit gets the device to show up with the proper driver, but incurs an error 43. Getting closer, I feel. 

Edited by [email protected]

When I used the DYI setup 1.30 on my old laptop, it worked fine with the menu based program.

But now on my new laptop, it boots directly to a dos-like menu. When I press F10 to use the menu based, it just comes back to the dos-like program.

Did I install it incorrectly? Many thanks

On 17/8/2014 at 4:18 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

An alternative to disabling testsigning in Win8/10 is to do a Win8: Perform a DSDT substitution within Setup 1.30 to overcome TOLUD issues. Win7 users who don't want to do the registry override can also do this DSDT substitution.

Hi again guys.

I wondered if this could help me overcome code 12 error?

Though currently my diy setup 1.3 load up in a dos like way, NOT in the menu based way and I don't understand why. Could someone elaborate?

1 hour ago, Juunasv said:

Hi again guys.

I wondered if this could help me overcome code 12 error?

Though currently my diy setup 1.3 load up in a dos like way, NOT in the menu based way and I don't understand why. Could someone elaborate?

From your Lenovo E560 with Setup 1.30 installed, start an DOS prompt (admin),  then type 'cd \egpu\utils' followed by  'setpci -s 0:1f.0 2.w'. Pls note the result of that command on your system, eg: 1e55 below.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd\egpu\pciutils

C:\eGPU\pciutils>setpci -s 0:1f.0 2.w
1e55

C:\eGPU\pciutils>

From your

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd\egpu\pciutils C:\eGPU\pciutils>setpci -s 0:1f.0 2.w 1e55 C:\eGPU\pciutils>

Before I go on here is the result Nando4

9d48

Hello All,

I purchased the DIY eGPU Setup 1.30. I had it working with my GTX 960 on Lenovo W530;however, i had some issues so i had to reload all of my programs on the laptop. I am in need of the link to the HTML page that had details on how to install the eGPU setup program on the laptop so i can get this setup completed again. Help Please!

1 hour ago, GridX said:

Hello All,

I purchased the DIY eGPU Setup 1.30. I had it working with my GTX 960 on Lenovo W530;however, i had some issues so i had to reload all of my programs on the laptop. I am in need of the link to the HTML page that had details on how to install the eGPU setup program on the laptop so i can get this setup completed again. Help Please!

It's available at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/files/file/87-diy-e-gpu-setup-130-by-Tech Inferno Fan/

Thank you Nando! I was able to mount the disk and is showing up as a drive "V" when i am restarting my computer, i am still not seeing the option to select diy egpu 1.3 setup. The unzipped files are located in the drive "C" i then mounted the disk. I am stuck at this stage, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also running windows 10, not sure if i need to switch off anything in the bios before running the program. 

4 hours ago, GridX said:

Thank you Nando! I was able to mount the disk and is showing up as a drive "V" when i am restarting my computer, i am still not seeing the option to select diy egpu 1.3 setup. The unzipped files are located in the drive "C" i then mounted the disk. I am stuck at this stage, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also running windows 10, not sure if i need to switch off anything in the bios before running the program. 

Pls follow steps in the spoiler:

Spoiler

1. Hit WIN+X key, select "DOS prompt (admin)". 

2. type "cd c:\egpu"

3. type "setup-disk-image"

It should complete without errors. Then reboot and check for a "Setup 1.30" Windows bootmenu item and select it. If don't see it, or get errors during 'setup-disk-image' run then pls PM the details to troubleshoot further.

2 hours ago, javenlxx said:

I have a exp gdc beast v8 and GTX1070 as the eGPU. Power is supplied by 450w ATX. I found there are some problems when connect to both laptops. 

2. Dell E5420

This is the one I'm using. It is almost out of box and no need any further configuration. After installed win10 the 3Dmark FSE shows ~8000 for graphics card. 30~45fps for GTA5 all high setting on 1080p.

However, it has annoying instability issue. Game will randomly crash. Sometimes after 1 hour, 2 hours. Sometimes it works perfectly for 3 hours. One thing for sure is that if leave it running for whole night, no matter 3Dmark or GTA5 will crash at sometime. I do see there is suggestion that to run it under pcie 1.1 mode. However, is there any other one since it cause a lot performance loss.

Either run your EXG GDC at Gen1 (x1 1.1) speed, or use a PE4C V3.0 instead with a soldered cable that has better Gen2 stability.

55 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Either run your EXG GDC at Gen1 (x1 1.1) speed, or use a PE4C V3.0 instead with a soldered cable that has better Gen2 stability.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just wonder is there any way to enable my HP 6470b to work with the adapter. Now it can be boot up after pin 22 isolation. However, seems the corresponding pcie port is disabled and can't be detected even in Aida64.

4 minutes ago, javenlxx said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I just wonder is there any way to enable my HP 6470b to work with the adapter. Now it can be boot up after pin 22 isolation. However, seems the corresponding pcie port is disabled and can't be detected even in Aida64.

You are in China. What's an expresscard cable to link your EXP GDC with for your 6470p worth? That's the easy and imho better solution there than the mPCIe cable.

You are in China. What's an expresscard cable to link your EXP GDC with for your 6470p worth? That's the easy and imho better solution there than the mPCIe cable.

Originally I purchased the miniPCIe version and think it might be better for future extension. However, I don't know there would be compatibility difference between pcie & expresscard beside the difference on physical interface.

I will try the expresscard way, the only thing is I need to purchase another expresscard cable again.

Edited by javenlxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hello.

i have question about in  install DIY EGPU 1.20 into my flash-disk... i use windows 10. my macbook pro is 2015 mid 13'. After i install DIY EGPU into flash disk.i restart my macbook. Push alt/option. but my macbook can't recognize my flash-disk...Another computer with mbr can this flash disk recognize .

how can i fix that? please help me! @Tech Inferno Fan

2 hours ago, steffenchenn said:

Hello.

i have question about in  install DIY EGPU 1.20 into my flash-disk... i use windows 10. my macbook pro is 2015 mid 13'. After i install DIY EGPU into flash disk.i restart my macbook. Push alt/option. but my macbook can't recognize my flash-disk...Another computer with mbr can this flash disk recognize .

how can i fix that? please help me! @Tech Inferno Fan

If USB stick installation doesn't work for you then use the disk image installation steps given at the following URL. There, Setup 1.30 will present as an additional Windows bootitem.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/files/file/87-diy-e-gpu-setup-130-by-Tech Inferno Fan/

I was wondering if anyone knows what's going wrong with my setup. My eGPU is working fine in windows, however I am trying to run DIY eGPU so I can change a few settings, Anyway I have DIY installed fine, and when the eGPu card isn't inserted and running of my laptop screen, I have no issues trying to get into DIY eGPU. However when I insert my eGPU, my laptop forces the display to run through the eGPU. Which is fine in windows, but when I boot into DIY, I can see the 4/5 options and when I click on any of them, the screen just goes blank. On my laptop screen, it doesn't go black, just on the external display. Anyone had this problem?

Hello

Just wonder if the same below can be applied to HM65 or HM76 as well? Or is there any other alternative to link these PCIe ports to achieve higher performance on HM6x,7x?

It would be the biggest concern for me to purchase the SW.

• want to use x1E/x2E/x2/x4 higher performance pci-e links (x1E/x2E on Series-4 or older, x2/x4 on Series-5 or older chipsets)

13 hours ago, javenlxx said:

Hello

Just wonder if the same below can be applied to HM65 or HM76 as well? Or is there any other alternative to link these PCIe ports to achieve higher performance on HM6x,7x?

It would be the biggest concern for me to purchase the SW.

• want to use x1E/x2E/x2/x4 higher performance pci-e links (x1E/x2E on Series-4 or older, x2/x4 on Series-5 or older chipsets)

Series-6 and newer chipsets have the x2/x4 mode setting locked into a ME Firmware bootstrap.  To alter it requiring extracting, modifying, then flashing a modified ME firmware. This is quite technical work, with only one existing public example performed by @timohour in https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7574-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-and-system-mods/ .  This mod is further complicated by a lack of x2 2.0 capable eGPU hardware as is explained in that thread.

A Thunderbolt eGPU solution being the more elegant approach for bandwidth greater than x1 2.0 EC/mPCIe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2016 at 6:52 PM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Pls follow steps in the spoiler:

Hide contents

1. Hit WIN+X key, select "DOS prompt (admin)". 

2. type "cd c:\egpu"

3. type "setup-disk-image"

It should complete without errors. Then reboot and check for a "Setup 1.30" Windows bootmenu item and select it. If don't see it, or get errors during 'setup-disk-image' run then pls PM the details to troubleshoot further.

Hello Nando,

I followed these steps, so currently the program is mounted and i follow the dos script until it says "Done. Press any key to exit...". When i restart my computer after this i am not seeing the egpu option at start up. 

56 minutes ago, GridX said:

Hello Nando,

I followed these steps, so currently the program is mounted and i follow the dos script until it says "Done. Press any key to exit...". When i restart my computer after this i am not seeing the egpu option at start up. 

Please PM me two screenshots. Those being the output of:

1. the previously mentioned 'setup-disk-image' run

2. immediately followed by  'bcdedit /enum'

• admin changed the title to eGPU Setup 1.30 Discussion
  • Tech Inferno Fan pinned this topic
  • admin featured this topic
  • Tech Inferno Fan unfeatured this topic
  • Brian unpinned and locked this topic
  • Brian unlocked this topic
  • Brian locked this topic
  • Brian featured and pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.