Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hi Nando,

have you read my email on your ymail account?

I dont have paypal account but i've asked my friend to sent the money from his paypal account to yours for egpu setup 1.30, have you received the money?

Sorry for my bad grammar, thanks.

Hi guys, noob here....

I would like to pursue an eGPU setup on my iMac, but I'm unclear as to whether I will have the ability to drive the iMac display? I understand it will take a performance hit, but can I accomplish this at all by modifying kext files? I've read that if you have a dedicated GPU (in my case, the Nvidia 640m), you are restricted to using an external monitor. I'd prefer not to do this, as I like my iMac display. Is there a way to disable the 640m and use Intel integrated graphics (noob question -- does my Mac even have that?)

Thanks in advance. Glad to finally join these forums...I love seeing constructive responses instead of "why would you do that?"

Works well for this user, though he's not telling us what sort of eGPU link (TB1, EC2, mPCIe2) he's using on his Sandy Bridge notebook.

Would be helpful if you could elaborate on exactly how it doesn't work for you as no doubt other eGPU users will be eyeing this title.

Works well for this user, though he's not telling us what sort of eGPU link (TB1, EC2, mPCIe2) he's using on his Sandy Bridge notebook.

Would be helpful if you could elaborate on exactly how it doesn't work for you as no doubt other eGPU users will be eyeing this title.

I start the game with admin rights, splash screen (GTA V) appears, then disappears, then nothing happens.

That is it. :(

I start the game with admin rights, splash screen (GTA V) appears, then disappears, then nothing happens.

That is it. :(

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> How to unlock your Flash Descriptor on a Dell Latitude E6430

As stated on the first post by Tech Inferno Fan Dell Latitude E6430 is one of the Ivy Bridge laptop which ports are on the right order to be able to create an x2 2.0 link. He also said that on SandyBridge and IvyBridge laptops we can not enable x2 2.0 link with Setup 1.x software but only with mod in the BIOS and particularly the Flash Descriptor. Thanks to Khenglish, Tech Inferno Fan and others on the Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops thread I realized that we can use FITC to program our Flash Descriptor to create an x2 2.0 link out of two continuous ports (port 1 + port 2, port 3 +port4 etc.).

For x2 2.0 to work you have to use 2 mini pci-e ports: port 1 (WWAN) and port 2 (WLAN). You can use mini pci-e port 5 (under the WWAN) to connect your wifi card (tested it and working) because after turning port 1 to x2 2.0 port 2 will be disabled.

I have come this far but haven’t connected a GPU @ x2 2.0 yet. Hope I have the necessary parts soon and try it.

Thanks to everyone who contributed so far. Feel free to correct or contribute.

Awesome stuff @timohour. I'm eagerly watching your progress here with the x2 2.0 link. Something I had on my wish list for some time. You are looking to be the first person worldwide to demonstrate this capability :)

You may consider creating a a E6430 owner's lounge thread and I'll move the E6430 specific posts over to it. E6430 being a x2 2.0 capable machine, unfortunately it's successor, the E6440, is not. E6430 then worthy of special attention which may get followup interest in same-era E6530 and Dell Precision systems which likely are too x2 2.0 capable.

@TYRTlive: That are just the official specs. We think that they have to write that, because of restrictions from Intel regarding eGPUs. Additionally the PSU way to weak to run anything faster than a GTX 750Ti and it's just noct official supported / guaranteed to work.

Bootcamp incompability is because Apple isn't supporting all TB features in Windows, like sleep/standby.

But there are multiple people that made it work and even AKiTiO is having an eye on the eGPU community.

Thank you, so it works fluently.

Hello from Bulgaria, i buy Exp GDC Beast with EC2 before 1 month. Working properly on laptop Dell Latitude E6420 with GTX 680 Evga SC S2.

Here is my video of the project and here step by step of project.

@Balchov, than you for posting the links to your implementaton. I've created a new thread for you to consider populating with the details, ie:

- English translation of your Bulgarian implementation from here

- inclusion of links to 3dmark13-FS, 3dmark11 and 3dmark06 benchmark results so can add you in the appropriate place on the Leaderboard: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11

Hello from Bulgaria, i buy Exp GDC Beast with EC2 before 1 month. Working properly on laptop Dell Latitude E6420 with GTX 680 Evga SC S2.

Here is my video of the project and here step by step of project.

@Balchov, than you for posting the links to your implementaton. I've created a new thread for you to consider populating with the details, ie:

- English translation of your Bulgarian implementation from here

- inclusion of links to 3dmark13-FS, 3dmark11 and 3dmark06 benchmark results so can add you in the appropriate place on the Leaderboard: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11

x2 2.0 eGPU (8Gbps-mPCIe2^2) option

I'll mention too that @timohour is leading the charge to do a x2 2.0 eGPU implementation on a Dell E6430. I believe the E6420 has the same port layout so if you are interested, you could double your bandwidth with a x2 2.0 capable eGPU adapter like a PE4C 2.1. See timohour's preliminary work at http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/6980-14-dell-latitude-e6440-owners-lounge-11.html#post130202 .

@Tech Inferno Fan tnx for information

laptop info

Dell Latitude E6420 14.1"

CPU i7 2670QM

RAM 8GB (2x4) AMD Radeon R5

SSD 120GB intel 520 series

HDD 250GB Toshiba 7200rpm

VGA NVS 4200

eGPU info

EXP GDC Beast expresscard vesrion

VGA GTX 680 EVGA Superclocked Signature2

PSU 750B(W) EVGA NEX series

Monitor 27" Dell Ultrasharp 1920x1200

OS Win 8.1 Enterprise

Valid results

3DMark-Fire Strike

3DMark11 Perfomance

3DMark06

0gfYEhs.jpgOIJluo2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

A E6430 can be had for ~US$250-300 on ebay-US . Its performance-price ratio and its durable MIL-spec build is great for a portable 14" package.

Main Features:

• socketted CPU allows a easy user upgrade i7-quad, doubling i5/i7 dual-core CPU performance.

• 14" with dual-LVDs 900p option.

• switchable Graphics NVS5200M dGPU option with Optimus, similar performance to a GT720M/GT620M and faster than the HD4000 iGPU.

• expressCard Slot (5Gbps) allows to connect expansion cards or even eGPU for gaming, video editing CUDA/OpenCL processing or driving more external LCDs.

• ODD can be swapped with a second 2.5" 9.5mm SATA-III 6Gbps SSD or HDD in a caddy & in a JBOD, RAID-0 (performance) or RAID-1 (redundancy) configuration.

• upgradeable WLAN : non-whitelisted bios allows upgrading to any half mini pci-e card (3 antennas waiting)

• internal WWAN/3G capable : non-whitelisted install a WWAN/3G, a mobile SIM and surf the internet anywhere.

• extra half mini pci-e port under the WWAN port

• backlit keyboard option: great for night time use

• battery options include a 65Wh 6-cell, 97Wh 9-cell battery, 30Wh E-module Battery and 97Whr 9-cell clip-on slice via the docking connector

• x2 2.0 capable with two mPCIe ports (port 1 WWAN + port 2 WWAN) with the ability to connect an eGPU @ 10 Gbps

To be continued...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.