Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hi there - ive just bought the program. Nice bit of kit! Can confirm again that it is emailed promptly after payment and works.

Im having problems with compaction however. I am getting 'compact' crashdumped so cannot do PCI compaction.

Existing due to signal SIGSEGV

General protection fault at eip=0004e512

I have attached diag as zip as instructed.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=84805997212124236678

Win 7

Clevo w251

Onboard intel 4000

Gt 635m

>trying to attach GPU GTX770 with exp gdc

Thanks very much - first time poster long time lurker. Apologies if I haven't found info already available but I have searched for a long time!

pete101

Link to diags is broken. Anyway, just try and disable your gt635m (video cards->dgpu[off]) then chainload to win7. Sometimes that is enough to overcome error 12. If still problematic then pls email me. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Nando,

Like probably all the other E-Gpu users I also needed Setup 1.x. So I just made the payment for it. I dont know how much time does it take to get the software and also since I'm a newbie at the forum I couldn't send u private message. I'd appreciate if u return to me on this matter.

EDIT: I'm the one who sent u 2 e-mail options btw.

Hey Nando,

Like probably all the other E-Gpu users I also needed Setup 1.x. So I just made the payment for it. I dont know how much time does it take to get the software and also since I'm a newbie at the forum I couldn't send u private message. I'd appreciate if u return to me on this matter.

EDIT: I'm the one who sent u 2 e-mail options btw.

Pls check your first email address' inbox and spam folders for a Setup 1.30 email. Thanks.

I'm here to say "Thank you!!!" to the creator of IdeaFan.

I own an y510p in i7 + SLI configuration, and it's a F-ing toaster!

What's the point in such powerful hardware if the laptop is throttling most of the time?! Even with a decent cooling stand...

But now we have a solution!

I hope IdeaFan + repasting + cutting of plastic barriers covering the fans will surely sort out any heating issues.

Thank you, allstone.

From http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-67.html#post111759

I'm now wondering if it would have been a better idea to get the Dell DA/2 power brick, since it's 220W. The only issue I see there is that it uses "Mickey Mouse" connection, so I don't know how I would adapt it to molex... have any idea there?
@mzinz

Adding a molex beside the PCIe 6-pin is easy if you're willing to solder some wires?

m082l1p.png?1

Hell yeah I'll solder! Sounds fun!

Is that a mickey mouse connection pictured above? Did you do this?

@mzinz

Yep, that's the Mickey mouse / DA-2 that has been replaced by a regular PCIe 6pin. The blue and ground must be shorted to have the DA-2 running, I suggest some kind of switch so that you don't need to pull the cord to power off.

REQ: volunteer to document opening up the AKiTiO Thunder2 chassis to fit long cards

This has not been documented in detail as yet. The examples I've seen using vise grips giving a lumpy final result. One undocumented hindrance to the process is the bottom ride side of the chassis we want to open has two pressed/welded points against the base, requiring significant force to break open.

So need someone with an untouched Thunder2 to take step-by-step photos of the best and easiest practice to do this to guide others contemplating doing the same. With the benefit of hindsight consider doing the following.

Equipment needed

* some thick cardboard sheets to provide protection to the chassis against gravel scratches

* adjustable wrench

* a heavy square concrete block or paver

Suggested steps

1. disassembly the electronics from the chassis including the fan

2. Use a adjustable wrench (shifter) to bend flat the lip on the right side plate.

3. Place some cardboard on a concrete floor (to protect against gravel scratches) and on the right side plate you want to open.

3. Stand the Thunder2 upright on it's right side. . Place the heavy square concrete block on the right side place, ensuring it buts right against the edge.

4. Have someone heavy stand on the concrete plate while you push on the top edge. You'll be opening the chassis along the right side edge. With sufficient force, the pressed/welds will come loose. The AKiTiO chassis is strong enough to withstand significant force being applied to do this.

5. Open the right side plate to run parallel with the rest of the chassis. Use the adjustable spanner to bend the edges (lips) to your preferred look.

6. Re-attach all the electronic components. Suggest remount fan as it fills the hole, protecting your video card.

MSI GTX970 shown in AKiTiO Thunder2 opened (somewhat) with above process

This could have been a very clean result had I known about those two challenging pressed/welded spots from the get-go, applying above process. Instead, uou can see some evidence from an attempt to slice one of those points using a screwdriver and hammer, which didn't budge it at all!! Also trying to open the case without the concrete block/paver just resulted in it twisting diagonally hence the lumpiness along the base.

Hi there,

I need your support with a few specific questions.

I'm reposting this message because on a different forum I didn't receive any answer.

First thing is the fact that I got a pretty old laptop Acer aspire 6920G with moded bios (cpu core2 t9300 overclocked to 2.9 gb).

I've also bought:

• Exp Gdc Beast adapter with expresscard plugin
  • GTX 750ti oc
  • of course setup 1.30

On my vista 32bit there was a problem with code 12 and other errors with DSDT (blue screen).

I don't know if anything can be done about it and I came to conclusion that if I change my system to Win 7 or 8 than it might be OK (??)

SO the most important thing for me to know is if it's possible to make a double port (2+4 = expresscard + pcie )

connection for a decent transfer.

I'll try to move my wifi card to a different place.

Please tell me if I'm right to split HDMI output from the adapter in to two cables for this double port connection (Setup app should merge both signals in to one?)

I just need to know if I'm on the right track and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards

Long story short.....making system restore images is the best thing to do. Below I will put the label "*****" by the most imporrtant images to make.

***** Make an image after your install*****

*****And then right after you customize your desktop bootcamp settings with sharpkeys (this changes "CMD-->CNTRL" button an versa". Next I also go to bootcamp in control panel (install bootcamp drivers from USB stick if you're forced to reformat..just go an explore USB drive) and make right click on the bottom right corner--just like my mac! After that I also then also download invert trackpad options for more natural scroll:

https://github.com/jamie-pate/flipflop-windows-wheel/blob/master/bin/Debug/FlipWheel.exe

Download that app by click on "view raw". Run .exe as an admin. And then flip scroll wheel. Restart. Make new system restore. ***** ((((DO **NOT** USE TRACKPAD++ or any related programs...they seem to cause instability on drivers and cause BSOD....Trust me. Just use the sharpkeys reg edit, and the flipwheel reg edit, along with bootcamp right click and if needed manually do the flipwheel if it doesn't work...Trackpad++ is the devil --or so I think AFAIK)

Then another restore after you install java/vlc/utorrent etc (optional).

***** Then again after you do whatever windows Office etc you need to install+any registery edits (cracks for those so inclined) *****

To be safe maybe yet another one after installing .net frameworks etc (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ****)

Do another (again) restore after you install the Nvidia Driver*** (make sure you name the restores appropriately)

Then after you install intel extreme oc utility (the first windows 8.1 intel oc works better than the newest one..the only change is -40-80mv that you should do on dynamic voltage) and after downloading and installing the mac fan controller (set to 90% full speed at all times do another restore ****** HIGHLY IMPORTANT*****--->the 5.1.1 version of intel tuning utility caused me to get BSOD EVERY TIME.

Then YET another final one after you install and configure any games/applications etc you need to.

After any BSOD I restore and boom no problem.

Also Just FYI I noticed that using the latest intel extreme tuning utility 5.1.1 CAUSES PROBLEMS. Use 4.3 version instead. That one also forces you to install .NET framework if you forgot to install it...5.1.1 does not and then causes fatal crashes, impossible recovery even in safe mode--since you can't even uninstall/modify it without errors. Use 4.3!

And another thing. Don't use the MSI afterburner utility. It's hangs the system.

Lastly, if your're getting a BSOD before you did recovery images, you're probably SOL without doing a complete wipe. If you do that with your USB stick you will get Grub 2 problems unless you remove the stick, boot into OSX, and then reboot using the EFI boot option. The USB stick will mess up the Grub partitions.

-----

So what I propose does...is basically if you've done the above, if you ever get a blank screen at the VERY LEAST you can keep trying to reboot or holding alt+EFI boot until you get a blank screen where you see the mouse cursor. If you see if the mouse cursor and nothing else by 20seconds then you will get a BSOD recovery screen (win 8.1). It *will boot* in safe mode but that doesn't help too much. If you've done what i've said above, you can just use the system restore points so you go back to a working windows environment.

The nice thing about system restore? If your system was working during that time, it will work again when you restore to that restore point. Restores don't take too much space up either.

It's late here so sorry for the terrible grammar and run-on sentences. I feel obliged to at least contribute so other people can make strides from above the shoulders I've created for them to stand on.

Ask away. I will reply!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.