Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Have everything connected and hooked up. Then remove cable/card from thunder2 PCI slot. Turn MacBook power on. listen for the Mac boot tone. At the very end of the tone but not after. Plug in the cable/card into the PCI of the thunder2. Let windows auto boot as normal. (Have windows as target boot drive) this was the only way I could get my GTX 760 to show for driver install. And is the only way to boot into Optimus.

Update.

Added first time driver installation and Optimus boot steps.

………………………

One thing I have noticed and was hoping would have been cured by using an eGPU is my MacBook still runs hot when playing games. 80 degrees sometimes more. Is there a reason for this? Also my games show the gpu as Intel Iris. Even though it is definitely running the game on the eGPU.

(Thundertek) As for performance. I can run FFXIV on maximum settings with full models. @ 1920x1200 on my internal retina screen between 25-65fps. Mostly holds around 40-50 mark.

If Running windows 8/8.1 fully update as I had memory dialogue boxes constantly popping up about memory low issues. After fully updating with windows update. This issue was fixed.

Hi guys,

I live in Seoul, South Korea. So please understand that my primary language is not English.

eGPU gear and notebook

HP-2570p, i7 - 3820QM, 12GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX 970, UDV OC (I've never overclocked yet) Pe4l 2.1b, 4Gbps+c (1.2 Opt) setting.

Setup 1.30 + DSDT override

Benchmarks

My 3dmark 13 Firestrike Score . .

@UncleJam, thank you for submitting your implementaiton details. Would you mind including the 3dmark11 and 3dmark06 benchmark result runs using an external LCD to the opening post? Doing so means can add you to the appropriate position into http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html .

Needless to say, 2570P eGPUs owners would be interested to see the results of your i7-quad and fresh GTX970 to compare against their rigs.

• Thumbs Up 2

@UncleJam, thank you for submitting your implementaiton details. Would you mind including the 3dmark11 and 3dmark06 benchmark result runs using an external LCD to the post at: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-404.html#post110325 ? Doing so means can add you to the appropriate position into http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html .

Needless to say, 2570P eGPUs owners would be interested to see the results of your i7-quad and fresh GTX970 to compare against their rigs.

Okay. I'll install it and post it later. It's very honor to be a "reference" with my rigs.

+ I did it now I'll add to the original post

• Thumbs Up 2

Received my Thunder2 PCI Unit!!

What a Difference!

FFXIV Maximum Settings @ 1920x1200 Internal Optimus 60FPS Constant

FFXIV Maximum Settings @ 1920x1080 Ext Display. 75FPS Range

Again the above steps I found to work for optimus boot are the same as the Thundertek instructions as above in original post.

I assume there is a check on boot for graphics. is there any item I can buy that puts a delay on the pci slot?

Anyone who can help me with restoring the Optimus feature?

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7950-%5Bwip%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx760%4010gbps-tb1-thundertek-px-win8-1-a.html#post108757

- - - Updated - - -

I tried the method you described with the changing main display for over an hour with no luck. I found this method works for both the Thundertek/PX and Thunder2 Units.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12858[/ATTACH]

Just noticed your GPU-Z output with the Thundertek/PX is showing a x2 1.1 link, which under load would be a x2 2.0 link. This is a surprising since most TB/TB2 enclosures use a x4 2.0 electrical link but limit to 10Gbps/16Gbps across the TB channel. x2 2.0 was what the old Bplus TH05 could do. If this is not some glitch then this downgrades the Firmtek product's desirability.

A x2 2.0 link is 8Gbps. Your AKiTiO Box giving a 16Gbps link, doubling bandwidth. This would explain why you'd see a large different in internal LCD FFXIV FPS on your 2013 13" MBP.

Screwing up the internal screen can be fixed by:

- setting the mode back to extended display (external as main display!)

- reinstall Intel Grapcis Driver

- reinstall Nvidia Grapcis Driver

Did you follow this 3 steps?

You want to recommend that I plug my GPU into the Slot everytime I boot? Or what do you want to tell me?

I tried the method you described with the changing main display for over an hour with no luck. I found this method works for both the Thundertek/PX and Thunder2 Units.

Which method worked? My method did not work? Your post is a bit confusing for me, sorry.

good morning! sorry about my thread i am currently re writing it to make it more clear. sorry about the confusion.

Yes if i plug in the GPU card at every boot at the boot selection menu i have optimus every time. i know this is a bad way for the hardware but i know it works.

i will continue to retry the method you have provided to see if i can get it to work more safely than my method.

hopefully we can find a permanent solution, as i want to enclose all my hardware into a bitfenix prodigy case.

thanks for your time and help.

1. All Hardware/Components Connected Together ***MINUS GPU CARD FROM PCI SLOT*** (PSU - TB Cable Connected - Ext Display Connected etc...)
  2. Additionally Connect the Molex to DC Jack cable from PSU to Thundertek2 Chassis
  3. Power ON PSU
  4. Power on MacBook whilst Holding ALT to enter boot selection Screen
  5. Insert the GPU card into the Thunder2 PCI Slot and Wait 3 seconds and Select "Windows Partition" from the Boot Menu
  6. Windows will Boot in Internal Display with Optimus Enabled!
  7. The Above procedure will need to be repeated on every reboot at this time.

Thank you for your implementation post.

The above hotplugging of the video card is a concern. It's going to introduce PCIe slot and card wear. Instead of doing that, please try booting with the video card plugged in but unplug the PCIe riser 12V molex and PCIe power plugs until you've booted to the Apple/Option OS selection screen. Then replug in and continue boot. Is the iGPU required for NVidia Optimus listed in Device Manager? It was mentioned in one of the threads too to unplug the yellow/black internal AKiTiO cable during poweron as a method to get iGPU detected.

Otherwise do note that your current hotplugging is only being used to to enable Optimus' accelerated internal LCD mode. If using an external LCD attached to your eGPU then you would in fact see better performance with the iGPU disabled as you get without such hotplugging. That's because the Intel CPUs have the CPU + iGPU on the one die, with a package TDP setting upper limits to performance. With the iGPU disabled, more package TDP is available for CPU use, so the CPU can hold turbo boost for higher/longer periods. Optimus otherwise offers no performance boost to a TB-attached eGPU, unlike say when using a EC/mPCIe eGPU where where Optimus' x1 pci-e compression engages.

The other solution here is to ask Apple to correct their firmware so as to not behave like like the dGPU-equipped Macbook Pro upon seeing the eGPU on bootup it disables the iGPU. GT750M Macbook Pro owners with eGPUs might be the pioneers to bring about such change. They have an even more daunting task of trying to enable the iGPU on bootup: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24200-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-59.html#post109786

Your 3dmark06 score is showing a slow CPU score netting you an overall 22.5k score. Please set your Power profile to maximum performance and re-run. I'd anticipate you getting over 27,000 when set correctly.

How can I set my power profile properly? Do you mean that changing the balanced power option to the high-performance option?(I don't know the exact expression of this, anyway I mean that the battery and plug mark beside the system clock) Or, should I use throttle stop?

How can I set my power profile properly? Do you mean that changing balancing power option to the high-performance option?(I don't know the exact expression of this, anyway I mean that battery and plug mark beside the system clock)

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Pls change from the balanced to the high-performance power plan and then re-run 3dmark06. Result should be significantly better than your previous 22.5k. I anticipate ~27k.

I too, have managed to get my 780 Ti + Sonnet III-D combo working under Yosemite. I'm currently writing a guide on how to do it. It should be up shortly.

EDIT: Guide is here: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8059-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-ee-iiid-osx10-10-a.html#post109983

Thank you for the guide. I followed these exact steps and right now my yosemite booted in an extremely high resolution (with sluggish controls) mode with no egpu enabled. Has anyone else run into this issue?

NOTE: Nevermind, got it working. Had to try it a couple of times.

Yes i was worried about the hot plugging and i really don't recommend it at all. i have however ordered another x16 Riser as to the join them together and have the Hotplug via the 2 riser cables. also having the powered riser directly into the pci slot of the aikito eliminated the need of an external power supply / molex to dc adapter as the riser powers the aikitio board on its own.

I did have some success with the black and yellow cable joining the 2 system boards of the aikitio boards. but have yet to work out the correct sequence to get a solid boot. i will keep working at getting as close to perfect procedure as soon as possible.

I do have a TV as a second display but i really prefer to use my internal due to the quality and sharpness. I have found optimus to be perfect for running my games on the internal display so far.

I have been doing alot of research from all over the web on different ideas i wish to explorer to make a solid and easy prcedure to enable optimus on a macbook with the aikitio. i will continue to update the main post when i find a solution.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys.

After installing and trying to set 1.3 i am getting boot error.

Did anyone have this?

Please watch the video.

Firstly, you should identify what Chainloading method works without any PCI compaction. It's likely going to be MBR mode. So select Chainloader->mode.MBR to change from your existing problematic MBR2 mode to MBR,. Then do Chainloader->Test Run to confirm it works.

Then you start working through the over 20 different PCI compaction configurations listed when you when you hit F1 over PCI Compaction->Run. Test each one by doing Chainloader-Test Run.

If still problematic after that then please contact me via email to discuss.

Hi, I thought that I'd try if the setup 1.30 works without the eGPU (waiting for new EXP-GDC) but run into some weird stuff. I've installed it using setup-disk-image-Linux and successfully added necessary information into grub.cfg. The problem is that the setup 1.30 either hangs or shows chanloading error.

To be more specific with options 1 and 2 it shows chainloading error (pic 1) and with options 3-5 it just hangs on some loading screen (pic 2) (tried waiting for 5 minutes, nothing no changes). With option 6 is successfully boots up clean DOS.

Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 14.04 / MBR partition.

Hi, just out of curiosity is it correct behavior that setup 1.30 just hangs on some loading when eGPU is not attached and that the only option that works is DOS failsafe? If so, is there any way to test whether chainloading works under failsafe DOS prompt?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.