Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Please start by reading the opening post's Pre-purchase FAQ.

Bro i said i'm new here and i just don't understand what in the [h=2]DIY eGPU experiences [version 2.0][/h]i need ur help

i don't have and pci express slot and i'll have to use the wifi card :)

- - - Updated - - -

Please start by reading the opening post's Pre-purchase FAQ.

Bro i said i'm new here and i just don't understand what in the DIY eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

i need ur help

i don't have a pci express slot and i'll have to use the wifi card :)

Hi,

I brought Setup 1.30 to disable my dGPU to get NVIDIA Optimus working with a GTX 670. I'm accessing Setup 1.30 over Grub2. My first problem is, that with the eGPU connected the Software stops at "VPT 2.01 Vivid color palette loaded to VGA DAC." The only thing I can do then is to reboot. With the eGPU unplugged I get this only sometimes. The next thing then is that I get a warning that I don't have a C:\config\devcon.txt. Is it better to have one, although I don't want to run a PCI compaction? And as a last point the NVIDIA GTX 670 is listed with x1. 1 speed, although I use an EXP GDC and the Intel Sandy Bridge platform which should result in x1.2.

Hi,

I brought Setup 1.30 to disable my dGPU to get NVIDIA Optimus working with a GTX 670. I'm accessing Setup 1.30 over Grub2. My first problem is, that with the eGPU connected the Software stops at "VPT 2.01 Vivid color palette loaded to VGA DAC." The only thing I can do then is to reboot. With the eGPU unplugged I get this only sometimes. The next thing then is that I get a warning that I don't have a C:\config\devcon.txt. Is it better to have one, although I don't want to run a PCI compaction? And as a last point the NVIDIA GTX 670 is listed with x1. 1 speed, although I use an EXP GDC and the Intel Sandy Bridge platform which should result in x1.2.

Setup 1.30 will probably list your port as follows if say the eGPU is attached to port8: [email protected] [eGPU]@x1.1

The first [email protected] is the most important part. It indicates that that port is switched to enable Gen2 speed. The rest of the details suggesting it's running x1 1.0, which in most cases is due to power management placing the card in Gen1 mode to save power. To confirm it's running in Gen2, put a load on the eGPU under Windows (eg: NVidia control panel->Adjust image, NVidia logo spinning) and observe what GPU-Z reports. If it says x1 2.0, then it's running Gen2.

Not sure what the stop at "VPT" is. Can hit F9 to step through the load to see if indeed vpt is halting the system. You can contact me offline to troubleshoot that if it's bothersome.

If not running PCI compaction then there is no need to generate a new devcon.txt file. Nonetheless, generating one can get rid of warnings and give you the correct configuration for PCI compaction. It's simple to create a new devcon.txt file. Just run c:\eGPU\eGPU-setup-mount to get V: drive, then run v:\devcon\mkdevcon .

What are your thoughts on using a Akitio Thunder2 instead of the Thundertek? Is there any reason to go with the Thundertek PCB over an Akitio Thunder2, besides the very minor price difference? It'd be nice to have TB2 ready for future upgrades.

What are your thoughts on using a Akitio Thunder2 instead of the Thundertek? Is there any reason to go with the Thundertek PCB over an Akitio Thunder2, besides the very minor price difference? It'd be nice to have TB2 ready for future upgrades.

The Thundertek was the price darling until the AKiTiO was flagged as offering a better spec for near on the same money. That occurred after these Firmtek GUIDES were written. Yes, AKiTiO is TB2 capable giving a 60% bandwidth improvement (10Gbps->16Gbps) if used with a TB2 capable notebook such as a 2013" Macbook Pro or a HP ZBook 15/17 G2.

Update: Five AKiTiO eGPU implementations so far:78:

Now summarized in table form at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24225-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box.html#post98210 .

Same format applied also at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 where it's also the recommended enclosure for Thunderbolt eGPU implementations.

Should make it easier to home in on the important details.

Update: Five AKiTiO eGPU implementations so far:78:

Now summarized in table form at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7205-us%24225-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box.html#post98210 .

Same format applied also at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 where it's also the recommended enclosure for Thunderbolt eGPU implementations.

Should make it easier to home in on the important details.

Setup 1.30 will probably list your port as follows if say the eGPU is attached to port8: [email protected] [eGPU]@x1.1

The first [email protected] is the most important part. It indicates that that port is switched to enable Gen2 speed. The rest of the details suggesting it's running x1 1.0, which in most cases is due to power management placing the card in Gen1 mode to save power. To confirm it's running in Gen2, put a load on the eGPU under Windows (eg: NVidia control panel->Adjust image, NVidia logo spinning) and observe what GPU-Z reports. If it says x1 2.0, then it's running Gen2.

By default it was set to x1.1 but I could switch to x1.2. That's what I have in Windows now too. How can I see if Nvidia Optimus is active?

Not sure what the stop at "VPT" is. Can hit F9 to step through the load to see if indeed vpt is halting the system. You can contact me offline to troubleshoot that if it's bothersome.

If not running PCI compaction then there is no need to generate a new devcon.txt file. Nonetheless, generating one can get rid of warnings and give you the correct configuration for PCI compaction. It's simple to create a new devcon.txt file. Just run c:\eGPU\eGPU-setup-mount to get V: drive, then run v:\devcon\mkdevcon .

After I created the devcon.txt I can get in Setup 1.30 even with the GPU plugged in.

I have another question: After chainloading/using startup.bat I am again at the grub2 menu (where I can switch between Linux/Windows/Setup 1.30). Is it possible to start Windows directly after chainloading/using startup.bat?

I have another question: After chainloading/using startup.bat I am again at the grub2 menu (where I can switch between Linux/Windows/Setup 1.30). Is it possible to start Windows directly after chainloading/using startup.bat?

If you happened to have installed Setup 1.30 as a Windows bootmenuitem (BCD), then run c:\eGPU\uninstall-disk-image to remove it from the BCD.

Then consider Setup 1.30 as a grub2 menuitem by following instructions presented when you run c:\eGPU\setup-disk-image-linux. Once configured that way, then when Setup 1.30, set the Chainloader->mode.bootmgr instead of MBR. That will chainload bootmgr. If your bootmgr has only the single Win8 bootitem then it will not present any further menus and boot straight into Win8.1

Optimus will be active so long as you disable your HD6630M using Setup 1.30's Video cards->dGPU[off]. You can confirm it by seeing the NVidia control panel option to set Preferred graphics processor", to "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" like shown at http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Nvidia.htm

Bit of a bug/question, when I start try and use Setup 1.3 with any USB mice/keyboards plugged in, it freezes after running the bat, meaning I never get to the screen to start Windows. Any ideas Nando?

Can take a video to show what I mean if that's useful.

Bit of a bug/question, when I start try and use Setup 1.3 with any USB mice/keyboards plugged in, it freezes after running the bat, meaning I never get to the screen to start Windows. Any ideas Nando?

Can take a video to show what I mean if that's useful.

Avoid having the USB controller as part of the PCI compaction by setting the scope to be eGPU, iGPU+eGPU or ALL except SATA+USB+SOUND+SMBUS+PATA,

Yes I have successfully setup my Lenovo G500 and a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB 200W TDP (R9 280) via an EXP GDC V6 and will do a proper write up soon so good luck so us all and thanks so much to the forefathers of this eGPU art especially to Tech Inferno Fan!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.