Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hey all,

I'm deliberating components for a sleek eGPU. My setup is a 2013 11' MBA and Thunderbolt Display.

This is my following criteria:

1) After the initial setup, the system is plug and play on both Mac and Windows 8.1

2) Everything is enclosed (no external PSU)

3) Works with Optimus, so that I can continue using my Apple Thunderbolt Display

Here are the components I'm considering:

1) Sonnet SEL: Sonnet - Echo Express SEL Thunderbolt 2 PCIe Expansion Chassis

2) Nvidia GTX 750 Ti: GeForce GTX 750 Ti Graphics Card | GeForce

I've read people have issues with Optimus and the Sonnet SEL when using the Sonnet's PSU. Is there a way around this? I was considering a DC-ATX converter, such as: HDPLEX-250W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply (16V-24V Wide Range Voltage Input), and a small 19 V laptop adapter, such as: http://amzn.to/UOXYEj . I imagine I could cram those into the enclosure one way or another.

I'd like to re-iterate that I'm aiming for an elegant solution -- not necessarily the most performant solution. I don't want to fiddle around with extra power buttons or the quirky timing of hot-plugging the card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Hello there, I have a Lenovo G550 with 4gb of ram and a Pentium duel core. I can't seem to get my GTX650ti to work with all 4gb installed (error 43). Would setup 1.x help and what settings should I use? Laptop has a GMA4500m.

Hello there, I have a Lenovo G550 with 4gb of ram and a Pentium duel core. I can't seem to get my GTX650ti to work with all 4gb installed (error 43). Would setup 1.x help and what settings should I use? Laptop has a GMA4500m.

Based on your previous posts saying that 2GB works but 4GB causes error 43, then yes, Setup 1.30 can help. It has a Video cards->Initialize function that can often correct error 43. Alternatively, PCI compaction can pre-allocate the eGPU before OS boot. That's in case the error 43 is related to how the OS is allocating the eGPU's PCIe config space.

Based on your previous posts saying that 2GB works but 4GB causes error 43, then yes, Setup 1.30 can help. It has a Video cards->Initialize function that can often correct error 43. Alternatively, PCI compaction can pre-allocate the eGPU before OS boot. That's in case the error 43 is related to how the OS is allocating the eGPU's PCIe config space.

What type of compaction would I need to run?

luffy889

Guys, maybe someone can help me: I just don't understand why I can see my video card in rEFIt shell using "pci -i -b" command (PCI 0A 00 00 device, in the end of the list), but windows 8.1 EFI just doesn't even list/recognize AMD Radeon R9 290 (tried 6770 too) as a device no matter what I try?

Same Problem here........:sure:

Thank you.

Congratulations!! Now not only have you joined the 30k+ 3dmark06 club but are now top of the leaderboard for DX9, DX10 and DX11 for a single-GPU implementation. As expected, you get pipped by squinks with his GTX780Ti@32Gbps-SLI implementation for DX11.

REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707

Yup, Win8.1 was giving lower-than-expected CPU/physics scores. Using Win7 for your benchmarks making them comparable against the other existing mostly Win7 eGPU benchmark results.

Wow @Relentless, sorry about the mishap. The Sonnet III-D has a 16x slot for full length, full width cards. No modifications. Pure plug and play

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested in getting the Echo Express III-D but I noticed you used an external PSU (RM450W). My question is if it's required to have an external PSU for the GTX 780 Ti (Same GPU I plan on using/own) or can the internal 300W PSU of the Echo Express III-D handle it? Also will I need any additional cords? I rather not carry an external PSU if I don't need to. Nvidia says Graphics Card Power 250W but you actually own the equipment. Thanks in advanced for the info.

Can somebody help/advise if a i7-4810MQ will work in the E6440 with dedicated graphics (the 4810MQ is cheaper than the 4800MQ at the moment).

TIA

James

Yes, i7-4810MQ will install and work in a HD8690M dGPU E6440. The dGPU model coming with the better heatsink than the iGPU model.

Only issue would be heat CPU/GPU related throttling with both under load. If running the i7-4810MQ with just the iGPU active then will be no problem. If wanting to max out the dGPU during gaming then you may consider using Throttlestop software to limit the max turbo on the CPU, even switching it off. The turbo can also be switched off by setting Processor Power Management -> Maximum to 99% in the Power profile.

Hello, please tell me. Connect to macbook pro via sonnet expresscard -> exp gdc

But in windows video card is not detected ???

Sonnet checked with another device - all ok

On exp gdc schelkak switch - meaningless

What should I do guys?

Hey guys yes AMD drivers can be very finicky, try this route; install DDU uninstaller, run it remove amd graphics driver, reboot, run DDU again and remove Intel HD graphics drivers, reboot. Install latest drivers for intel hd graphics, reboot, here's the most important thing don't install AMD 14.4 that hell of a thing is broken got damn it I swear don't ever install it! instead install the latest beta driver which have solved the finicky installation of AMD drivers which is amd catalyst 14.7 RC1 and then tell us your results..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

oh! Thanks you very much! It help me to fix some problem on one of my computer! +1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.