Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm Luca, the same guy of the Arctic Mc101 post http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7201-egpu-project-arctic-mc-101-a.html .

Since I do not have the technical skills to try to connect an e-gpu to an amd trinity Apu and no one has ever done this before, I thought I'd choose for my e-gpu experiment my beloved 2009 macbook pro.

This is the model MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 15" (Unibody) Specs (Early 2009*, MC026LL/A, MacBookPro5,1, A1286, 2255) @ EveryMac.com

As you can see it features a 45 nm "Penryn" 2.66 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor, I put 8 gb of ram and Samsung Ssd.

I have many questions and I hope you can answer me as fast as possible, since I'm concluding the purchase of a ViDock 4 + here in Milan and tomorrow I have to give an answer to the seller:

1) Do you think it is worth buying a ViDock 4 +? I read in the forum that is not recommended by many, can you explain why?

2) I can not find anywhere if the expresscard my Macbook is 2.0 (5 gbit / s). Could someone explain to me how do I find out?

3) I don't want the new e-gpu is bottlenecked by the old cpu. Can you advise me what is the gpu that is best suited to my cpu?

Thanks in advance

There is a simple and easy guide by squinks showing the compatibility of eGPU among different rMBPs/MBPs. I suggest you check that out first.

The cheapest option at the moment is probably the (~$200) AkiTiO adapter + x16-to-x16 powered riser + PSU, but T|I user trollinteemo is building a TB2 adapter that might just be as competitive in price and features.

Hope this helps.

Usually, I get the most help reading the first post stickied here. DIY eGPU experiences [version 2.0] That answers your first question for the ViDock 4.

I'm also willing to bet that the PCIe lane is NOT 2.0. The table (also in the post above) notes that PCIe 2.0 starts with Sandy Bridge (2nd Gen i-core). My old T400 also had PCIe 1.1 and used x1.opt with a GTX460.

(Credit goes to Tech Inferno Fan)

I/O Chipset

PCIe 1.0 (2.5GT/s) lanes

PCIe 2.0 (5GT/s) lanes

PCIe 3.0 (~10GT/s) lanes

x1

x1E

x1.Opt

x2/x4

x2E

x2.Opt

x1

x1.2Opt

x2/x4 (TB)

x1

x1.3Opt

x2/x4 (TB)

AMD RS*

Y1

N

N

?

N

N

N

N

N

N

N

N

NVIDIA MCP*

Y1

N

N

?

N

N

N

N

N

N

N

N

Intel ICH7M

Y

Y3

N

Y5

Y4

N

N

N

N

N

N

N

Intel ICH8M

Y

Y3

N

Y5

Y4

N

N

N

N

N

N

N

Intel ICH9M

Y

Y3

Y2,8

Y5

Y4

N2

N

N

N

N

N

N

Intel Series-5(1st-gen i-core)

Y

N

Y2,9

Y5

N

N2

N

N

N

N

N

N

Intel Series-6(2nd-gen i-core)

Y

N

Y2

N6

N

N26

Y

Y2

Y6

N

N

N

Intel Series-7(3rd-gen i-core)

Y

N

Y2

N6

N

N26

Y

Y2

Y6

N7

N7

N7

-LIME recommend NVIDIA Fermi/Keplar (GT430 or better) solution for best performance

-RED recommend AMD HD5750 or better solution for best performance -CYAN choose based on preferred performance bias: DX9 (AMD HD5750 or better) or DX10/DX11 (NVIDIA Fermi/Keplar). Though specifically for x1 1.0 I recommend a system upgrade to a better performing candidate as users find uneven & choppy performance. Thunderbolt users may still elect NVidia Optimus solution (if have an iGPU) as then can then render the image to the internal LCD. Refer to Performance: AMD versus NVIDIA benchmark results to help you decide. If not sure then suggest a NVIDIA Fermi/Keplar solution which on balance gives better overall performance and has the option of x1.Opt with the right notebook. Note: if the NVIDIA x1.Opt driver was unlocked to allow primary video cards other than Intel 4500MHD/HD/HD3000/HD4000 plus it engaged with x2 links then I would recommend only NVIDIA solutions.

The third question is also answered by the first post. Look under, 2. Which video card do you recommend for best performance on my system?

Hi,

I've got a Mac Book Retina 13 with 8GB of RAM hooked up to a Sonet Echo express vie thunderbolt. From there I use a Vidock4 with an old GF9800 GT (150W power supply). I got setup 1.3 installed and runing on Windows 8.1 so I can boot into the setup 1.3 environment, the GF shows up and is recognized. My problem is that whenever I try to do a compaction it stops working at "Writing PCI" and then does nothing. Have to reboot after that.

Any ideas due to why this might happen?

Per installation instructions, there are over 20 different PCI configurations to try. Those are shown by highlighting PCI Compaction->Run compact and hitting F1 (help).

Also, the Thunderbolt PCI compaction isn't perfect. Sometimes it's necessary to revert to manual startup.bat/pci.bat creation with rMBP examples at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#Thunderbolt.

Thanks for your fast reply badbadbad.

1)First of all I've read the first post about the Vidock months ago, but I'd like to have easier examples to understand (I don't know what does it means for link widhts supported and I don't understand why you can't use same software for both the solutions, since they are virtually the same, etc...). If it was only for the money I'd like to buy the vidock because it is a quite cheap secondhanded product.

3)As I can see your old t400 has a cpu similar to my mbp. You have a gtx 460, do you think I can go "higher" without bottleneck the gpu (because I've got a EVGA GTX 660 TI in my main gaming pc and I'd like to use it for my e-gpu project, maybe buying a new gtx 780 for the main pc)?

I've tried to read the table but it's way too complicate for me.

I will appreciate If someone with more experience than I can help me to understand what is better for my mbp.

Thanks for your fast reply badbadbad.

1)First of all I've read the first post about the Vidock months ago, but I'd like to have easier examples to understand (I don't know what does it means for link widhts supported and I don't understand why you can't use same software for both the solutions, since they are virtually the same, etc...). If it was only for the money I'd like to buy the vidock because it is a quite cheap secondhanded product.

3)As I can see your old t400 has a cpu similar to my mbp. You have a gtx 460, do you think I can go "higher" without bottleneck the gpu? I've tried to read the table but it's way too complicate for me. If someone with more experience than I can help me to understand what is better for my mbp I will appreciate.

Unfortunately you've come to the wrong place to ask questions pertaining to ViDock. Their support is at http://www.facebook.com/VillageViDock . Good luck!

Thanks to everyone.

I don't understand why you cannot answer to my questions. I asked for a comparison (or an easisest explanation) between the diy method and the vidock and you answer was "go to the vidock forum".

I really don't understand.

As far as I understand the two ways works the same. So I think you can replace to my second questions (which gpu to choose, no-bottleneck).

If I register in notebookreview forum (section e-gpu) can I find a comparison between Vidock and diy method or is it like here?

Sorry, I give zero support to vidock. That unfortunately means his customers as well. Thats due to ViDock's history where his he and his staff have:

1. tried to piggyback the DIY community to support his way overpriced gear

2. ignoring requests to produce DIY hardware at a significantly lower pricepoint (ie: ~$90 - requested in 2012)

The most recent outcome is ViDock is no longer relevant in the expresscard because the 220W EXP GDC at US$77-shipped outclasses his US$309-shipped 225W ViDock 4 at a quarter of the cost. Intel too won't give him a Thunderbolt license even after he supposedly flew out from China to the US to do a meet-and-greet with the Thunderbolt team.

Furthermore, he's also:

- violated Setup 1.x software license that I produced

- ViDock CEO has claimed in personal correspondance that 'DIY eGPU stole his idea'. The outrageous claim giving zero acknowledgement to PCI SIG, the organization that produced the PCIe slot, expresscard slot and whole PCIe bus used in eGPU configurations. The electromagnetic spec is available for public study.

You are correct in that the hardware functions in the same way. There will however be power delivery and pcie reset delay mechanisms unique to the ViDock.

You are welcome to peruse the info here. Just don't expect support. NBR appears to be a dead. You can try the ViDock Facebook pg. Good luck.

The cheapest option at the moment is probably the (~$200) AkiTiO adapter + x16-to-x16 powered riser + PSU, but T|I user trollinteemo is building a TB2 adapter that might just be as competitive in price and features.

Unfortunately the AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box is NOT availlable in Europe. I've contacted AKiTiO a few weeks ago. AKiTiO forwarded my message to their European reseller MAG and their answer is: "That will probably take a bit longer as we didn‘t even receive a sample yet, but I’ll keep you updated when I have some more info.".

So I think the Sonnet SEL from Amazon.de for € 403 (= $ 538) is still the cheapest solution. But you also need a PCIe x8 to x16 riser (not a powered riser) and an external PSU (unless you use a GTX 750 Ti).

I'm not understanding how the power supply connects to the Akitio... maybe someone can help clarify?

I'm not sure how it is possible but we are discussing it over here.

Also - has anyone confirmed if this solution works on MacbookAir? Windows 7 / Windows 8.1?

You will need Windows 8.1 with UEFI.

More information about this is available here.

Unfortunately the AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box is NOT availlable in Europe. I've contacted AKiTiO a few weeks ago. AKiTiO forwarded my message to their European reseller MAG and their answer is: "That will probably take a bit longer as we didn‘t even receive a sample yet, but I’ll keep you updated when I have some more info.".

So I think the Sonnet SEL from Amazon.de for € 403 (= $ 538) is still the cheapest solution. But you also need a PCIe x8 to x16 riser (not a powered riser) and an external PSU (unless you use a GTX 750 Ti).

Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box Expansion Chassis AK-T2PC-TIA B&H Photo

Shipping is available for europe.

Looks like B&H offers worldwide shipping. Plus they have it listed for the cheaper US$201 base price. The best place to buy at this point in time.

That is correct thank you. It costs almost twice as much but that is still cheaper than the Sonnet SEL solution.

SubTotal: $201.81

Duties & Tax: $97.59

Shipping: $81.80

Order Total: USD $381.20 = EUR €285.64

That is correct thank you. It costs almost twice as much but that is still cheaper than the Sonnet SEL solution.

SubTotal: $201.81

Duties & Tax: $97.59

Shipping: $81.80

Order Total: USD $381.20 = EUR €285.64

Any eGPU forum members in the US want to act as AKiTiO on-forwarders to Europe for say US$20 per item? A win-win that eliminate that horrendous US$97.59 in duties.

Any eGPU forum members in the US want to act as AKiTiO on-forwarders to Europe for say US$20 per item? A win-win that eliminate that horrendous US$97.59 in duties.

If you send a package without the bill than the customs might rip it open and choose how much it is worth. So you could end up paying more (or less). Or you might get lucky and they don't look at it...

I have a friend who lives in the US and I could ask him to send it to me but I'm afraid they will intercept it and that I would need to pay more.

Have him declare it as a gift and at an obviously much cheaper price ($50?). Item Description can be a computer part. You can have it shipped without the commercial box and wrap it in clear plastic before puting it in the parcel. That way, in case they open the parcel (which I doubt), they'll see that the item is not brand new. It even works for most of the eBay and Aliexpress shipments here.

Ok, that has done it.

Great that it works :)

Your DSDT override notes would go even better accompanying a complete M6500 eGPU implementation writeup if you've done one. Such a writeup would be a new addition linked for the Dell M6500 in to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 .

I will when I get all the kit. I only ordered my PE4L 2.1b just yesterday. Still need to source a GPU (though a mate at work has a 670 GTX I can use to test) and a PSU. Once I get those and it works, then I shall write up what I have done. I figured that I was going to need the DSDT override purely because Im running 8GB of ram and didnt have any large memory in the device manager, so I just got in and done it early.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, how i can get DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 for free? why i ask that question because in my country we don't have a credit card yet i'm live in IRAQ .

i bought PE4H+PM3N with ASUS GTX 770 the DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 is only way to install my eGPU with it.:culpability:

I've donated to DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 (Sep-2013) >>US$25: Paypal/Credit Card to Tech Inferno [email protected]<< but still haven't gotten any kind of confirmation/download link from user Tech Inferno Fan. I even included "DIY eGPU Setup under the message field for the donation. I'm I missing something?

Check your SPAM folder. Also if you've used Paypal mobile then it leaves no email node for me to contact you back with. Please email me Tech Inferno [email protected].

Hi, how i can get DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 for free? why i ask that question because in my country we don't have a credit card yet i'm live in IRAQ .

i bought PE4H+PM3N with ASUS GTX 770 the DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 is only way to install my eGPU with it.:culpability:

Please email me Tech Inferno [email protected]. Thank you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.