Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

• 2 weeks later...

ExtremeTech published a nice article on Thunderbolt and it's eGPU implications on April 22nd. Basically, there are plans for a Thunderbolt 3.0 with 40Gbps of bandwidth to support a PCIe 3.0 x4 setup.

Thunderbolt 2.0, while large enough for mid- to high-end GPU cards, don't have the bandwidth capable to support 4K or other high-end monitors as it relied upon a single PCIe 2.0 x4 connection.

This is good & bad news:

• Good - eGPU bottlenecks will be almost completely negligable under Thunderbolt 3.0 @ 40Gbps supporting the (standard) PCIe 3.0 x4 setup. IMO, It also seems as if Intel might actually support this initiative.
  • Bad - We might not see Intel support for eGPUs until Thunderbolt 3.0 arrives, which could be a long ways off. Reason being, Intel might be hesitant to support earlier versions of an eGPU solution that has inherent bottlenecks or doesn't operate the way the GPU card was meant. This means that we'll have to rely upon make-shift solutions or pay absurdly high prices for a complete T-2.0 setup from companies like Magma or Sonnet in the meantime.

Source: Next-gen Thunderbolt details: 40Gbps, PCIe 3.0, HDMI 2.0, and 100W power delivery for single-cable PCs

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay in updates, lots of real life shit going on and havent had a chance to test with my GF's machine. I will be testing tomorrow though for sure.

Some responses from missed posts:

The goal is to try and use the internal display. She doesn't have an external monitor so we wouldn't be able to hook it up anyway. Though it is a last resort.

I can possibly jury rig something to power the Thundertek directly from the PSU but I am not as good with splicing wires or the such. Plus I would need to connect it to the plug somehow or bypass it and connect directly to the board. Too much guess work as I don't have enough experience, and I am giving this to my gf, the less room for breakage, the better as she is not as technically inclined as I am.

@Eugene The SSR sounds great, the paperclip trick was just to make it work, as I was experimenting and trying to figure out why things weren't loading. I'll need to figure our exactly what you mean't by powering from USB. but I don't think it should be too hard. Not sure which USB cable you are refering to as I don't use USB anywhere. Any chance you can give a slightly better description of what you mean? Or a quick summary/step by step of the process. Thanks!

I'll try to provide updates sometime tomorrow night when I get home or Sunday. I am just hoping the GMUX just works and her GW2 loads using the external card.

So I'm seeing people being able to load windows 8.1 with EFI on macbooks now (Yay!), and that it will allow native thunderbolt support in windows... but I'm not seeing any updated guides on how to do reinstall win8.1 to get EFI, and what problems arise...

Has anyone done this recently, and can they recommend a tutorial/guide?

Hopefully this is a simple solution. I have a G46VW with an mSATA drive as well as my regular 2.5inch SSD. The BIOS maps the mSATA (which does not contain my windows install) as the first HD and this screws up the default settings of the chainloading config. I have tried modifying the config file and nothing seems to be working. Sometimes I get a bootmgr error stating a device is missing that is required to boot windows and sometimes I get the setup 1.x blue screen selection screen. I'm a little confused on where to go from here.

Anyone else run 2 drive setup like me and would like to help me with what settings are required? Thanks! :glee:

EDIT: I see my post got moved... I wasn't aware this thread was for setup 1.x issues. Thanks

I'm trying to get my eGPU to work through my Thunderbolt port. I know it can be done because Arise has the same system and his works. The only difference in our setups is I'm running Windows 7 and he's running 8. Anyway, I installed Setup 1.30 following the installation instructions. I ran V:\devcon\mkdevcon.bat and it created the drive and it appears to have installed correctly. But I have a major issue. Once I reboot all goes well until I select the menu-based option in Setup 1.30. It crashdumps when trying to load Compact. It lets me continue to the setup screen but then it can't find my eGPU (Windows recognizes it with a Code 12 error in Device Manager). Without being able to load Compact I can't get anywhere. Here are my specs:

- ASUS G750-JW (Nvidia 765M)

- Windows 7 Pro (MBR - not GPT)

- 12 GB RAM

- Thunderbolt port

- Sonnet Echo Express II w/pcie 8x - 16x powered riser cable

- Radeon R9 280x

- Dedicated 650w ATX PSU for the card

- 24" external monitor

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would like to use a thunderbolt 2 enclosure for my egpu so I can get more bandwidth. Is that possible?

Here are the specs of my laptop:

1.late 2013 mbpr

2.i7 4558u

3.16gb ram

4.iris 5100

Here are the components I want to use:

Sonnet Echo Express 3-d

Amazon.com: Sonnet Technologies Echo Express III-D: Computers & Accessories

780ti

ie=UTF8&qid=1399058417&sr=8-1&keywords=sonnet+Amazon.com: ASUS Graphics Cards GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5: Computers & Accessories

I thought since the enclosure has a built in 300w psu, I don't have to do any soldering. Would I be able to just hook up the gpu to the psu? and it has a pcie 2.0 x16 slot, so I wont need an adapter.

I have not seen any guides on doing this with my mac and with a thunderbolt 2 enclosure so I would like your help. Thanks in advance. :)

- - - Updated - - -

sorry about the random links, something must of happened when I posted the thread.

I've had a user report privately that a Win8.1 + 15" MBP + Echo Express III-D + NVidia card works completely plug and play in UEFI (not bootcamp) mode. No guide has been forthcoming as yet, though wish we had one.

Anyone else having issues with nVidia/Sonnet SE II combos?

Is there something about nVidia cards I'm missing? What else can I try?

Thanks to anyone who can help...

Within Setup 1.x, run Save Diags->compact fails, upload the results to mediafire.com and post the link here.

It doesnt work :(

must I do anything before this system setup? I think I made avail costs :(

Obtain Setup 1.x to troubleshoot the mPCIe connected further if you have had no luck doing the OS-halting method to overcome whitelisting.

Would really appreciate it if someone could help me out. My GTX 560 ti is working with a 1.1Opt link on my Lenovo X230 however any game I play on regaurdless of settings will have this stutter in frame rates. I have downloaded the newest drivers for everything and was wondering if anyone had any ideas where to start on how to fix this. Thank you!

Also interesting troubleshoot: Both my integrated laptop monitor and external work when my VGA is connected from my laptop to my external. I also have my DVI-D cord from my eGPU plugged into the external. The monitor is running off the DVI-D, however my external monitor will only work if the VGA from my laptop is plugged into it....might be part of the problem

If your monitor configuration is such you in fact just running the accelerated internal LCD to an external display via the VGA port then yes, performance would be affected. You want the eGPU to display straight out to a monitor.

Other ways to improve performance would be

1. Get a x1.2Opt capable PE4L 2.1b-> double your bandwidth

2. Disablie NVidia sound would ensure the bandwidth is dedicated to video traffic only.

3. Putting a FPS limit via the NVidia drivers (or ASUS GPU Tweak / MSI Afterburner)

4. Try to lower resolution and lower color depth from 32-bit to 16 bit.

Hopefully this is a simple solution. I have a G46VW with an mSATA drive as well as my regular 2.5inch SSD. The BIOS maps the mSATA (which does not contain my windows install) as the first HD and this screws up the default settings of the chainloading config. I have tried modifying the config file and nothing seems to be working. Sometimes I get a bootmgr error stating a device is missing that is required to boot windows and sometimes I get the setup 1.x blue screen selection screen. I'm a little confused on where to go from here.

Anyone else run 2 drive setup like me and would like to help me with what settings are required? Thanks! :glee:

Are you using Setup 1.30? If so, please contact me via email to troubleshoot this issue further.

I'm trying to get my eGPU to work through my Thunderbolt port. I know it can be done because Arise has the same system and his works. The only difference in our setups is I'm running Windows 7 and he's running 8. Anyway, I installed Setup 1.30 following the installation instructions. I ran V:\devcon\mkdevcon.bat and it created the drive and it appears to have installed correctly. But I have a major issue. Once I reboot all goes well until I select the menu-based option in Setup 1.30. It crashdumps when trying to load Compact. It lets me continue to the setup screen but then it can't find my eGPU (Windows recognizes it with a Code 12 error in Device Manager). Without being able to load Compact I can't get anywhere. Here are my specs:

- ASUS G750-JW (Nvidia 765M)

- Windows 7 Pro (MBR - not GPT)

- 12 GB RAM

- Thunderbolt port

- Sonnet Echo Express II w/pcie 8x - 16x powered riser cable

- Radeon R9 280x

- Dedicated 650w ATX PSU for the card

- 24" external monitor

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please contact me via email to troubleshoot this configuration further.

Oh noo :(

I thought it could work as the specifications indicate "Fully compliant with SATA revision 2.6, with Standard 3.3 Volt Mini PCI-e SSD(mSATA Module) support Mini PCI-e 52 pin Connector"...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.