Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

I'm always confused by the bandwidth of TB/TB2 powered eGPU. As most thunderbolt pci-e chassises only have x4 electric connection, if I'm right, they only provide 5Gbps bandwidth. That is no more than a express card connection and much less than TB/TB2 bandwidth. So TB/TB2 is no better than the traditional Express card implementation. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello all

I have successfully set up an egpu solution with a former computer (using setup 1.x). Now I am using a Asus n53sn with exp gdc adapter + 970 GTX. Unfortunately the BIOS is locked with no many options left, and windows is not able to boot with the egpu. However doing a hot plug of the egpu makes it work ... with the famous error 12. First of all, I would like to get rid of the boot error, but I don't know how to do it with setup.

Thanks for your help !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16640[/ATTACH]

Pls email me for specific system troubleshooting. Details at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html

Hi old thread but need some help please same spec laptop 8560P DGPU , I created a large memory but still error 12 ... GTX 750 SC any help would be great thanks alot guys !!

Per DSDT override page, if you still have error12 then need Setup 1.30 to allocate the eGPU in a preboot environment into the 'large memory' area created. I can help you along with that.

Hello!

I have been using my GTX 960 through my laptop's mPCIe port for a couple of months now on Windows 10.

However, when I switch on my computer with the cable attached, and SW2 on the PE4C-PM100C set to 2, sometimes it

doesn't work. This is really frustrating, because this issue seems to be completely random, as in sometimes it detects the eGPU

and sometimes it wont, and I can't find any consistent way of doing so. 

Setup specs:

-Windows 10, 64 bit

-Asus Vivobook s500ca

-Asus Strix OC DirectCU II GTX 960

-PE4C-PM100C on mPCIe

-180 Watt power supply

Solutions I have tried (But failed):

-Opening BIOS on startup, waiting, then exiting back to Windows

-Change the switch settings, using multiple combinations

-Hot-plugging the cable while in Windows, which causes a red screen (of death)

I greatly appreciate any help and suggestions!

-Aerostar

P.s. If you need any more information just ask!

P.p.s. Pressing F8 on boot doesn't work D:

Hello guys

I have some problem regarding to implementing eGPU on Acer V3-772G-9822 with EXP GDC Beast. Here is the specification

Notebook: Acer V3-772G-9822

CPU: i7-4702MQ

iGPU: Intel 4600

dGPU: GTX760M

Adapter: EXP GDC Beast

eGPU (Plan): ASUS STRIX GTX960 DC2OC 2GDDR5

Yesterday I was tried to get the eGPU work by replacing the mPCIE wifi slot with my eGPU adapter. After I push the power button, the external monitor shows nothing but no signal warning, both HDMI slot on laptop and eGPU have the same result. But then I somehow managed to get the GTX960 show on the device manager using "sleep system, swap wifi card for mPCIe eGPU adapter method" (https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8747-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/#post149873) but with code 12 and hang right after reboot.

After all I realize my acer hang before the BIOS load up, turn out it may related to the #PERST problem ( https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8350-pe4x-series-understanding-clkreq-and-perst-delay/&_fromLogin=1 ). This morning I block the PERST signal by placing a small tape over the pin 22. This time the acer boot  successfully to the OS with eGPU connected, the eGPU fan is spinning and all things go well until I found out that the acer fail to recognize my eGPU.

Even I tried with "DIY eGPU Setup 1.3x", enable the wifi port and do a rescan, reboot and rescan or using the sleep method before. The laptop still cannot catch the eGPU signal. 

Did anyone have the same experience with me? Any possible solutions? Please help guys and thank you!

qbE6O7.jpg

Per https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8747-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/#post149873 did you try to jumper the PSU to be always on rather than the EXP GDC powering it on upon detecting 3.3V? It's possible to jumper the Dell DA-2 (as explained in the Dell DA-2 thread) but easier with an ATX PSU if you have one handy. Even if just for testing purposes.

Per https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8747-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/#post149873 did you try to jumper the PSU to be always on rather than the EXP GDC powering it on upon detecting 3.3V? It's possible to jumper the Dell DA-2 (as explained in the Dell DA-2 thread) but easier with an ATX PSU if you have one handy. Even if just for testing purposes.

I wish to try. But I am uncertain to deal with psu due to lack of skills and knowledge of this area and may eventually risk my equipment or even my life. Is there an alternative? :(

3 minutes ago, neoseeker said:

It looks far more easier with an ATX PSU, I have the very same problem as you and I plan to buy one and test it out soon.

Great but be careful when connecting the 4-pin cable, it seems a fault connection will result killing the entire eGPU. 

I had used my first Beast for couple of days and then I broke it by connecting wrong 4-PIN power cable from ATX PSU - be very careful when you first connect it, then bought a replacement and have been using it heavily for 3 month now with no Gen2 glitches.  (https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7625-17-acer-v3-771g-gtx980ti4gbps-mpcie2-exp-gdc-beast-win764-rgpu/)

One more thing to add is the V3-772G did not have any white listing in their BIOS, claim by the Acer Technician himself

Acer-Justin: We do not have any whitelists for the SSD, wireless, or BT because we only tested what we put in those connections/slots. There are other pieces of hardware that may/will work in those connections/slots. (http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series/Acer-Aspire-V3-772G-unknown-Motherboard-port-and-mPCI-E/td-p/357012)

On 12/16/2015 at 8:00 PM, edmund2018 said:

Great but be careful when connecting the 4-pin cable, it seems a fault connection will result killing the entire eGPU. 

Update: Bought an ATX PSU today, plugged everything in and tried to turn on the system without a jumper, nothing happened, not a fan running or a light. Looks like I'm going on the right path.

Update 2: I pluged the wrong 4 pins, now it is all the same again. The GPU fan runs like hell but nothing happens.

Well, I'm not sure if the EXP GDC got broken when setting up all of this but if I re enable port 22, it got freeze at bios, it means the EXP GDC still work right?

Edited by neoseeker

i decided to get an egpu and i purchased the diy setup and im going thru it and im trying to follow some of the tutorials and they are all over the place and some of them only last like 15 seconds which is kinda of ridiculous to follow so when i start off my egpu isnt detected so i do the unplug thing and i follow the pci compaction to 32 bit and i go to the dos prompt and enter the iport bridge command but i really have no idea what im doing after that any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. 

https://8ch.net/cyber/res/38374.html

Please help me.

I have an Asus K45VM with dGPU GT630M and Intel Core i7 and a eGPU with GTX750.

I'm trying to use the SETUP but is showing white screen when Windows starts.

I realized that when trying to select iGPU+eGPU, a message appears "no solution found". 

What should I do? Sorry for bad english, i speak Portuguese :P

Edited by Laferu

2 hours ago, Laferu said:

Please help me.

I have an Asus K45VM with dGPU GT630M and Intel Core i7 and a eGPU with GTX750.

I'm trying to use the SETUP but is showing white screen when Windows starts.

I realized that when trying to select iGPU+eGPU, a message appears "no solution found". 

What should I do? Sorry for bad english, i speak Portuguese :P

Pls email me to discuss. Email address is on first post of this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

hello. can anyone comment on whether I'll have any luck with setup 1.3 and my hardware below?

Hardware etc.
PE4L v2.1b w/ expresscard/34 adapter
HP Probook 4530s i3 (HD3000)
OSX 10.11 via Clover UEFI (hackintosh)
ASUS ENGTX460 video card

Is it going to be possible to use setup 1.3 to help me run the above system in osx 10.11? You mention setup working for for macbooks but maybe that is only over TB and not expresscard? Also I thought I read something about needing a MBR (non-UEFI) windows 7 installation in your notes for the setup 1.3 software.

I know there are other people who have been successful with setup 1.x and windows 7 on the the 4530s, but I'm looking for some El Capitan love. 

Also I think my bottleneck is going to be the 2.5 gt/s of the expresscard slot, but maybe its the GTX460.

31 minutes ago, esatamod said:

hello. can anyone comment on whether I'll have any luck with setup 1.3 and my hardware below?

Hardware etc.
PE4L v2.1b w/ expresscard/34 adapter
HP Probook 4530s i3 (HD3000)
OSX 10.11 via Clover UEFI (hackintosh)
ASUS ENGTX460 video card

Is it going to be possible to use setup 1.3 to help me run the above system in osx 10.11? You mention setup working for for macbooks but maybe that is only over TB and not expresscard? Also I thought I read something about needing a MBR (non-UEFI) windows 7 installation in your notes for the setup 1.3 software.

I know there are other people who have been successful with setup 1.x and windows 7 on the the 4530s, but I'm looking for some El Capitan love. 

Also I think my bottleneck is going to be the 2.5 gt/s of the expresscard slot, but maybe its the GTX460.

MY experience with Clover's UEFI module resets any PCIe config space changes made by Setup 1.30. So unfortunately this combination isn't going to work.

Hello everyone. I have an interesting, but I suspect common problem with the EXP GDC Beast Version 7.0 (this one uses the mini PCI express slot on the motherboard)

I'll give my specs here first:

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200

Processor: Intel i7-4700MQ CPU - Eight cores

PSU: Sentey Metal Blade Power Modular - 1000W

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 960 (Previously used the Windforce II model of the GTX 960. I'll explain why I returned it later)

I have the CTD switch to the right, and the PTD switch all the way to the left.

My problem is this. I can boot the laptop fine, and it will detect the graphics card. I used two different ones, and this was true in both cases. Having uninstalled the dedicated graphics driver prior to booting up with the EXP GDC, I would install the driver that came with the card (in both cases, 355.82), and try to play a game. In nearly every case, I could get no more than five minutes of time before encountering driver errors (Nvidia driver has stopped responding and has recovered). These errors show up in clusters, causing my monitor to lose its display and then come back several times in a row before allowing me a chance to leave the game. When this happened though - it would be a sort of kiss of death. The computer would eventually reach a state where it felt it had to reboot, or where the display wouldn't come back at all, and I'd have to do a hard reset - even if I refrained from doing anything graphically intensive after that.

I got the PSU checked today - the PSU is running fine, and at 1000 watts, it should have no issue supply the needed power. The card I'm using has one eight pin socket, which is connected directly to said PSU

I have also tried different drivers. The ones I've tried more or less did the same thing - but I had done this swapping on the windforce. I also tried the tdrdelay trick, but that made it worse, so I reverted it.

I did have a session that lasted for four hours before the computer suddenly crashed. When I went to see why - the windforce had overheated - which is why I traded the card in for the EVGA. With the same problems though, and the PSU ruled out, it looks like there's another issue - which has frustrated me for the last three weeks.

The only light that has ever deigned to activate on the exp gdc unit is the red one. I'm told this is normal, but I thought I'd add that.

Any help would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Csfract said:

Hello everyone. I have an interesting, but I suspect common problem with the EXP GDC Beast Version 7.0 (this one uses the mini PCI express slot on the motherboard)

My problem is this. I can boot the laptop fine, and it will detect the graphics card. I used two different ones, and this was true in both cases. Having uninstalled the dedicated graphics driver prior to booting up with the EXP GDC, I would install the driver that came with the card (in both cases, 355.82), and try to play a game. In nearly every case, I could get no more than five minutes of time before encountering driver errors (Nvidia driver has stopped responding and has recovered). These errors show up in clusters, causing my monitor to lose its display and then come back several times in a row before allowing me a chance to leave the game. When this happened though - it would be a sort of kiss of death. The computer would eventually reach a state where it felt it had to reboot, or where the display wouldn't come back at all, and I'd have to do a hard reset - even if I refrained from doing anything graphically intensive after that.

Opening post explains this situation. Downgrade your link from Gen2 to Gen1 either using BIOS options or using Setup 1.30.

21 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

MY experience with Clover's UEFI module resets any PCIe config space changes made by Setup 1.30. So unfortunately this combination isn't going to work.

Thanks for reply! So is the issue a Clover UEFI thing or just a UEFI thing? I'm thinking about trying chameleon or chimera instead of clover if it might help make this work.

• admin changed the title to eGPU Setup 1.30 Discussion
  • Tech Inferno Fan pinned this topic
  • admin featured this topic
  • Tech Inferno Fan unfeatured this topic
  • Brian unpinned and locked this topic
  • Brian unlocked this topic
  • Brian locked this topic
  • Brian featured and pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.