Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hey guys, I've been looking at a very large amount of PCI, PCI-e, mPCI-e, Thunderbolt, expresscard, etc. stuff lately for the Geforce GTX 960 eGPU I'm planning to build, and have a few questions. I have decided the GPU I want to use (found here), but have a few more questions, and I thought reaching out to you guys would be the best way to solve them.

I have two candidate systems that I could use for this setup,

1. ASUS ROG G75VW (link)

2. ASUS N550JV (link)

The following determinations are what I have run into in terms of which computer to use.

1. Processor

ASUS N550JV- Intel Haswell Core i7-4700HQ@ Min-800 MHz Max-2400 MHz Turbo- 3400 MHz

ASUS ROG G75VW- Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3610QM@ Min 1200 MHz Max 2300 MHz Turbo- 3300 MHz

2. Ports

ASUS N550JV

PCIe Bus (gen 3.0)- mPCI-e v2 x1 (5.0 Gb/s) [port that the wireless adapter is currently in]

ASUS ROG G75VW

PCIe Bus (gen 3.0)- mPCI-e v2 x1 (5.0 Gb/s) [port that the wireless adapter is currently in]

Thunderbolt (I think it is TB1, but I can't find out which TB it is using HWinfo64)

3. dGPU and iGPU

ASUS N550JV

iGPU- Intel HD Graphics 4600@ 600 MHz

dGPU- NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M over PCIe v3.0 X16@ (8Gb/s)

ASUS G75VW

iGPU- None

dGPU- GeForce GTX 670M over PCIe v2.0 x16 @ (5.0 Gb/s)

Given the the G75VW has thunder bolt but a slightly slower processor, no iGPU, better GPU and both have mPCIe, what I want to know is

1. For eGPU is Thunder bolt 1 or 2 faster than using a PE4C over mPCIe

2. Which setup would be faster (ASUS N550JV over mPCIe with better processor and iGPU, or ASUS ROG G75VW over thunder bolt or mPCIe with better dGPU)

3. Where would the bottlenecks be

In conclusion, I want to get the most out of the systems and GTX 960, so I want to know which setup would be faster, and how much each would cost.

Hi Nando,

I tried to do a PCI Compaction with the setup 1.30.

The setup find a solution (3.87Gb + All pci exept usb / sata ...).

But when I must press ENTER to back to the menu, the setup do nothing. The only animation is the cursor...

First screenshot is the bug, second is my config.

Software and Hardware :

eGPU Beat on Expresscard with a 9800GT (detected on Windows with error 12)

DELL Precision M6600 with Windows 7 64bit

BIOS QM67

8Go RAM

Thanks for your time

post-39782-14495001021478_thumb.jpg

post-39782-14495001021028_thumb.jpg

Nando suggested me to create a new thread how to get external monitors detected via Nvidia eGPU on OS X. Well, I did something more - a shell script with the following features:

- Detects your OS X product version and build version

- Lists available web drivers from Nvidia

- Automatic download and driver installation

- Automatic IOPCITunnelCompatible mods + web driver mod

- Detects your Mac board-id and enables eGPU screen output

- Confirmed: Mid 2014 15” rMBP Iris Pro, Late 2014 Mac mini

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/blob/master/automate-eGPU.sh

We know that new technologies, including TB3, USB-C, and Apple’s Metal API in OS X 10.11 most likely bring external GPUs to a completely new level, so I try to keep this post up to date.

The script is designed to work in any Mac / OS X version (if the web driver is available from Nvidia) and it tries to determine correct driver download path by data scraping techniques. Installation takes place within the Terminal. You don’t have to double click the pkg. Just press “y” to questions. This is the first version, but already confirmed to work with two Macs.

Instructions:

1) Download the script on your desktop

curl -o ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh

2) chmod +x ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh

3) cd ~/Desktop

4) sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

UPDATE:

What's new in 0.9.7

- SetIOPCIMatch() function which sets and appends device IDs (both the AMD and Nvidia)

- Automatic NVIDIA Driver Manager uninstalling

- Minor bug fixes

What's new in 0.9.6

- Detects dGPUs for determining the correct [-a] mode behaviour

- Fixed issue #3 https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/issues/3

- Fixed issue #4 https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/issues/4

- Checks for the existence of application support path and if the script is ran as root

- Support for OS X El Capitan 10.11 beta 7 (15A263e)

- Native AMD support, masks for any card if codename is found

- Possible to use Nvidia official driver for Kepler cards [-skipdriver]

- Detects Thunderbolt connection

- Detects GPU name by scraping device id from The PCI ID Repository

- Hot-plugging required

- Automatic backups with rsync

- Uninstalling with [-uninstall] parameter

- OpenCL benchmarking (https://github.com/krrishnarraj/clpeak)

Will the graphics card work on both the MacBook’s internal monitor and a monitor which is plugged into the GPU?

Hello Nando! Well, I would like to know how to do to save the settings in the SETUP to not be doing the same procedure every time you restart Windows.

Hugs!

Hi F3 after the menu you run in Setup 1.30 to add the equivalent commandline to your startup.bat. Then when boot into Setup select the default "automated startup via startup.bat" option.

Hi Nando,

I tried to do a PCI Compaction with the setup 1.30.

The setup find a solution (3.87Gb + All pci exept usb / sata ...).

But when I must press ENTER to back to the menu, the setup do nothing. The only animation is the cursor...

First screenshot is the bug, second is my config.

Software and Hardware :

eGPU Beat on Expresscard with a 9800GT (detected on Windows with error 12)

DELL Precision M6600 with Windows 7 64bit

BIOS QM67

8Go RAM

Thanks for your time

Highlight PCI Compaction->Run compact and work through the 20+ compaction scenarios until get a stable solution. If need more assistance with this, pls email.

mPCIe2/EC2 is 4Gbps, TB1 is 10Gbps or more than double. How does this play out? Have a look at performance info at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/3062-2012-13-macbook-pro-gtx660ti-hd7870%408gbps-tb1-th05-win7-%5BTech Inferno Fan%5D.html#post42483 . There you have a 4Gbps (mPCIe2/EC2) vs 8Gbps (TB1) comparison. 8Gbps is pretty close to the 10Gbps TB1 spec.

Given the affordability of an AKiTiO Thunder2 Thunderbolt enclosure, it makes little sense to go for a mPCIe2 based solution. Particularly given that you'd need a pricey PE4C V3.0 to avoid Gen2 signal instability. Plus you can still gain up to 16Gbps-TB2 if upgrade your notebook to TB2 spec.

Only decision you might consider at this point is waiting a bit to see what 32Gbps-TB3 notebook + enclosures are released soon. That's 8 times the bandwidth of mPCIe2, giving desktop-level performance.

Could you un-delete my other reply and your response to it so we can continue discussion there.

Anyways, I was thinking maybe you could help me put some research into the possibility of using the MXM 3.0 in my laptop, HWINFO 64 says the 670m is running on x16 pcie gen 3.0 so then an MXM 3.0 to pcie x16 should work, right?

And I think you misunderstood me, the two laptops listed are the ones I have and would like to make modifications to, so maybe you could review them keeping in mind they are my only options and the pros and cons of both, including specs and ports.

Skype might be faster paced, more compacted system of chat, but the forum allows for others to see this, so if you want we can take this to skype chat. I can't PM you my username because I don't have five posts, but we'll do whatever works best for you.

I also put a lot of resources in the previous post that was deleted if you could check that out.

Recap:

Potential to discuss over skype

Possibility to expand desktop card over MXM 3.0

Get back to me on the reality of a GTX 960 bottlenecking over 5 GT/s and what the minimum bit rate is to ensure maximum performance with no bottlenecking

Confirm that turning 2 x1 lanes into an x2 lane would not work as I proposed

Follow Tech|Inferno Forums

with Tapatalk for Android

FREE - on Google Play

VIEW

Tech|Inferno Forums - Powered by vBulletin The Facebook Platform

I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

Thread: I just want to confirm before purchasing questions

Reply to Thread

Unsubscribe from this Thread

Tags: None

First

Last

zerov01d said:

09-23-2015 08:07 AM

Dschijn, thanks for clarifying the questions, now I realize it would be much wiser to build a pc from scratch. Thank you!

Multi-Quote This Message

nizar4790k said:

10-11-2015 02:53 PM

Is my Laptop compatible, with an Egpu ?

Hello , Guys , I want to know if my laptop is compatible with an eGPU , Thanks advance

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Q301LA-BH...ds=asus+q301la

Multi-Quote This Message

Tech Inferno Fan said:

10-11-2015 06:01 PM

Quote Originally Posted by nizar4790k View Post

Hello , Guys , I want to know if my laptop is compatible with an eGPU , Thanks advance

Amazon.com : Asus Q301LA-BHI5T02 13.3 Touch-Screen Vivobook Intel Core i5-4200U 4GB 500GB W8 : Computers & Accessories

There isn't an existing eGPU implementation for your machine but is for a similar one-gen older one at 13" Asus Zenbook UX31A + GTX750@4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PE4C 2.1) + Win8.1 [Kaiyoti]

Please work through Pre-purchase FAQ to maximise success of your eGPU venture.

DIY eGPU • eGPU Implementations: TB, EC, mPCIe • HP C2D DualIDA BIOS

17" HP ZBook 17 G2 i7-4810MQ@4Ghz-4c HD4600 K3100M FHD 16GB Win8.1 + DIY eGPU (AKiTiO Thunder2 + 220W Dell DA-2) GTX970@16Gbp-TB2 3dmkGPU:13-fs/11/06=11161/14281/31075

Previous with 4Gbps-EC2 eGPU: • 14" Dell E6440 with [email protected] • 12" HP 2570P with [email protected]

Multi-Quote This Message

reptilianbrain said:

10-14-2015 07:36 AM

Hi guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on this $1k+ build - can someone please confirm that this will actually work together?

Planning to use it with rMBP-15" 2014 (GT750M) hooked to external display (currently torn between XR34CKA that is not yet available, xb280hk and XB27HU, leaning towards 34 inch though).

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Silverstone ML07B - System Build - PCPartPicker

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card ($719.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case ($66.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($117.99 @ Directron)

Other: Akitio Thunder 2 ($218.00)

Other: 2pcs CCTV video balun 5.5X2.5mm ($2.00)

@Dschijn, @Tech Inferno Fan - sorry for pinging directly - just thought you guys will definitely know the answer.

@Dschijn thanks a lot! super excited to get into eGPU soon.

Last edited by reptilianbrain; 10-16-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Multi-Quote This Message

braedenklassen said:

10-14-2015 01:57 PM

Advice on a wanted eGPU setup

Hi, I'm not well versed when it comes to building computers but I'm in dire need of faster graphics & I don’t want to upgrade my laptop just yet. I plan on using an eGPU to a LED Backlit Professional IPS LCD Display so I can run color correction software at a manageable speed.

My setup (I Already own)

Computer:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Monitor:

HP Dreamcolor Z24X

eGPU: (Haven’t used it yet just bought it online during a sale)

GEFORCE GTX 770

eGPU Requirements:

-PCI express-compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot

-One 6-pin & one 8-pin supplementary power connector

-Minimum 600 W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 42A)

The questions I have are as follows:

- What else do I need to make this work?

- Can someone suggest a decent power supply that would work?

- Do I NEED a chassis of some sort or can I make this work without one?

- If I don’t need one, along with what I already have, could the setup listed below work?

1. Express card: Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter & SxS Media Reader

2. Thunderbolt cable

3. Power supply: Anything larger than 600W & has a 6 and 8 pin power connector

4. Adaptor: Bplus PE4L-EC060A : Convert PCI Express 1x add-on Card to ExpressCard slot

Any help, advice, links would be hugely appreciated. I’m at a point where I THINK I know what to buy to make this work but I haven’t been able to find enough evidence online that supports the doubts I am having. Thanks!

Multi-Quote This Message

Dschijn said:

10-14-2015 11:48 PM

@braedenklassen:

You will need:

- AKiTiO Thunder2 (because I am not familiar with an Express card setup)

- Any PSU with the specs you listed

- GPU

- barrel plug mod to power the AKiTiO from the bigger PSU

That setup can be placed "naked" on the table if you can make sure that nothing is moving or damaging it.

Edit:

@reptilianbrain:

That list seems good. But you are missing one important (but controversial) part: a flex riser. Problem would be to get a high quality one to avoid problems:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Premi...2819cm%29.html

Lian-Li Global | PW-PCI-E

Last edited by Dschijn; 10-15-2015 at 12:29 PM.

MBPr 15", 2,5GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD (mid 2014)

with

Thunderbolt 2 eGPU EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini eGPU Setup: GTX970 inside closed AKiTiO + Dell DA-2

Multi-Quote This Message

MuR3 said:

10-16-2015 07:52 AM

Lightbulb ASUS ROG G73JW + eGPU. Need advice.

Hello.

I have a ASUS ROG G73JW 2010 with the following characteristics:

740Q i7 first generation to 1.73GHz

8GB DDR3 RAM

Removable internal GTX460M graphics.

Connection available MPCI

External monitor 22 ", my laptop does not have its own screen set, broke and this without her.

I would like to add a EGPU the team and improve the graphic quality of it, but I have some doubts that I can not clarify

1. Is there any objection to putting a EGPU with a GTX 460M removable?

2- AMD or NVIDIA for this notebook? I would like a graph of around 120€ type R7 360 or GTX 750ti, what brand to choose and why?

I know I need the PCI-E x16 adapter MPCI, one external ATX power supply and a graph, but I want to be sure that this will work smoothly on my computer.

Thank you very much, greetings.

Multi-Quote This Message

yeahman45 said:

10-16-2015 10:44 AM

eGPU on Hp DV4 with eVGA Geforce GTX 750 TI FTW Edition? worth it?

I have an old laptop hp dv4 with the following specs:

Intel core i5-2410M 2.3GHZ

4GB of ram DDR3 (will soon upgrade to 8GB if necessary)

I have a eVGA Geforce GTX 750 TI FTW Edition which I am not using as my desktop "gaming" pc broke.

I was wondering if it is worth the cost using a eGPU solution for my laptop? how will be performance with these specs.

Another annoying aspect to consider is that my mini pcie is found under my keyboard (it's according the manual.... I have not opened it yet to verify if it is really a mini pcie hosting my wifi card).

And my laptop has switchable graphics... not sure if this affects compatibility?

hello nando

I have macbook pro late 2011 15 inch 8.2

I am trying to set egpu up for my macbook pro.

I have bought akitio thunder 2 pie box

evga 500watts psu

evga nvidia geforce 750ti ftw

jumper for psu

riser with molex plug

molex plug to barrel

and I just have bought the egpu set up as well through [email protected]

will this set up work for me?

thank you

"Without Thunderbolt certification for eGPU capability, the system behavior can be unpredictable."

This sounds more like a requirement on the manufacturer making the thunderbolt eGPU case. So, to expand the statement, "A eGPU enclosure without thunderbolt certification for eGPU capability, (aka every TB2 eGPU) the system behavior can be unpredictable"

There's a good chance that certified eGPUs might be pricy, and cheaper TB3-PCI solutions may be available but not certified for graphics.

This is all just a load of speculation because I really want all TB3 computers to be eGPU capable.

Hello,

I have a problem with Setup 1.3 boot windows after configuration. I make all like in Acer AS5750 + GTX670 instruction movie, including ignore and switch off dGPU. I click Chainloader --> TestRun. Naxt action is black screen, and few seconds later bluescreen appears for half second and laptop resets. I've made DSDT like angerthosenear shows in Guide: DSDT Override, Simultaneous iGPU + dGPU + eGPU.

I use EXP GDC Beast with ExpressCard. My laptop is Dell Latitude e6520, i7 2720QM 2,2GHz, 8GB RAM, Win7 Pro 64 bit. I use polish system language if it matters.

I read someone used 275.33 verde with Nando's nvam.inf file. He has got the same Dell model. But I can not find this file :blue:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.