Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Did run setup-disk-image.bat as admin, but no bootloader menu item appeared. How this could be?

EDIT: i've noticed a message 'bcdedit not detected'.

PS I had to find bcdedit manually on c: and place it in c:\Windows/System32 to make setup-disk-image happy. That's wierd.

@Sirios, great news on solving this problem. Would you mind posting the solution? Thank you :)

For solution you need to contact Oleh mandriva64(at)gmail.com, cause I only have modified BIOS based on the dump of my computer's BIOS, if you flash it you will half brick you notebook. Oleh has template BIOS-mod, that is suitable for all X220 machines, no SPI programmer needed - just download and flash it.

Be careful with advanced menu!

Hi,

I really would like to buy your software but I have no idea if it’ll work with my hardware. Can it change underlying EFI settings via a BIOS CSM? If it can’t then I can’t use it with my mac mini, but maybe with my netbook (bog standard BIOS machine).

The ethernet card is detected no problems at all in OSX and Win but the graphics card is completely missing from both, I think there’s a #PERST issue or full pci-e bus reset I need to deal with.

Hardare = Mac Mini 1,1 (intel GMA945 chipset).First HDD = GPT/Hybrid MBR drive with OSX and (via rEFInd > Apple EFI-CSM BIOS > Win7 bootloader in Hybrid MBR > and 32bit Windows 10 (bootcamp)

Second HDD (cd pata-to-sata hdd caddy) = Pure MBR drive (via Apple EFI-CSM BIOS > Win7 bootloader > Win10 64bit)

m-pcie slot > BPlus P28S-P28F (PCI-Express to MiniCard Extender) > BitCoining PCI-E PCI Express 1x To 16x Adapter Riser Extension Card (powered by a modded xbox360 psu) > Gigabit Ethernet Card = Success.

m-pcie slot > BPlus P28S-P28F (PCI-Express to MiniCard Extender) > BitCoining PCI-E PCI Express 1x To 16x Adapter Riser Extension Card (powered by a modded xbox360 psu) > Nvidia GTX750 = Fail.

2nd Hardware

Samsung NC110 Atom Netbook (intel GMA950 chipset).

m-pcie slot > BPlus P28S-P28F (PCI-Express to MiniCard Extender) > BitCoining PCI-E PCI Express 1x To 16x Adapter Riser Extension Card (powered by a modded xbox360 psu) > Gigabit Ethernet Card = Success.

m-pcie slot > BPlus P28S-P28F (PCI-Express to MiniCard Extender) > BitCoining PCI-E PCI Express 1x To 16x Adapter Riser Extension Card (powered by a modded xbox360 psu) > Nvidia GTX750 =Fail.

Is it worth me purchasing the software to chain load Win10 (I can install Win7 32 or 64 if necessary instead) or am I missing something else too?

thingi

I defenitely need help getting rid of error 12 on my MacBook Pro Late 2013. I tried both DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 and 1.2.

PCI compaction on 1.3 gives system freeze at the end if i choose 'all pci devices' or 'all except SATA, PATA, USB, SSD, ect' (or maybe just both of my keyboards stops working). If i choose only eGPU or eGPU + iGPU and boot to windows, my GTX970 won't even displayed in Device Manager. While PCI compatcion procedure is executed, i always see 6 errors in a row complaining something about overlapping 'bridge should not overlap..."

With DIY eGPU Setup 1.2 PCI compaction of 'iGPU + eGPU' or 'eGPU' always fails no matter what options i choose. If choose 'all pci devices' or 'all except ...' i see only a message kind of '11 new external methods found. Reparsing' and system freezes. Maybe i should wait a little longer, i dont know.

What else can i do?

I defenitely need help getting rid of error 12 on my MacBook Pro Late 2013. I tried both DIY eGPU Setup 1.3 and 1.2.

PCI compaction on 1.3 gives system freeze at the end if i choose 'all pci devices' or 'all except SATA, PATA, USB, SSD, ect' (or maybe just both of my keyboards stops working). If i choose only eGPU or eGPU + iGPU and boot to windows, my GTX970 won't even displayed in Device Manager. While PCI compatcion procedure is executed, i always see 6 errors in a row complaining something about overlapping 'bridge should not overlap..."

With DIY eGPU Setup 1.2 PCI compaction of 'iGPU + eGPU' or 'eGPU' always fails no matter what options i choose. If choose 'all pci devices' or 'all except ...' i see only a message kind of '11 new external methods found. Reparsing' and system freezes. Maybe i should wait a little longer, i dont know.

What else can i do?

Why do you need Setup 1.3? Late 2013 models are known to be plug and play without further modifications of Windows, both iGPU only and GT 750M models.

Which eGPU adapter are you using?

Why do you need Setup 1.3? Late 2013 models are known to be plug and play without further modifications of Windows, both iGPU only and GT 750M models.

Which eGPU adapter are you using?

Windows 7 x64 (MBR), AKITIO Thunder2, Zotac GTX970, no dGPU.

It works on Windows 8.1 (MBR), but i prefer Windows 7 for some reasons.

PS Finally i got my GFX970 working on Windows7 x64. Thanks to Nando for help.

I did a DSDT override, 'large memory' root appeared in device manager, but still DIY eGPU Setup 1.2 PCI compaction reports 'no solution found' on 36 bit and 'eGPU only' option.

EDIT: 1.3 with same options does the same as 32bit compaction - windows cant see eGPU at all.

Laptop

Sager NP-5165 / Clevo W150HRM - BIOS: 1.09 Unlocked - EC:02SA Fan Control

i7-2860QM 2.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600

Crucial M4 240GB SSD

Nvidia Geforce GT 555M 2GB - vBIOS Overvolt

Hi, So I'm trying to setup an eGPU and am not 100% sure what I'm doing, I'm really new to this so any information would be greatly appreciated

I have a PE4C v3.0 that I got here on amazon, The card I have is an ATI 7870, and a brand new 500W ATX PSU that I found under my desk lol

I uninstalled my dGPU drivers, disabled the dGPU in device manager, powered down, removed my WiFi card, installed the PE4C to the mPCI-e port, hooked up a 500W ATX PSU, plugged in the 7870, fired it up

The card was recognized so I installed the drivers and ran a benchmark, the scores were suuuper low, worse that my dGPU, GPU-Z showed the card was only running at x1 1.1 speeds

I looked into setting the mPCI-e port to Gen2 and eGPU Setup 1.30 came up, so I bought it and tried to figure that out..PCI Compaction->32bitA->ignoredGPU->iGPU/eGPU, disabled dGPU, set Gen2 1.2 on my eGPU which shows as P3, robooted

The card still ran as x1 1.1 with the same horrible bottle necking even though eGPU Setup 1.30 said it was x1 1.2

I looked into setting it to x2 and read that Series 6 chipsets are unable to do this because of the "flash descriptor" and when I tried to enable this in eGPU Setup 1.30 it said this as well

So downloaded FPTW64 and dumped my Descriptor, Opened it up in FITC.exe ME 7.1.20.1119, modified the PCIe function to be x2 for P1 and P3 which disabled my USB 3.0 on P2 and ethernet on P4, I was unable to build this flash descriptor because the build spit out errors for some reason, I opened the generated flash descriptor with UEFITool.exe to see that the region length was different as well as the offset was different and the me region was different..it also said everything was read write yes for some reason..so I opened the original flash descriptor and the generated flash descriptor in HxD hex editor in compare mode, there was 17 differences so I went through each difference to see what they did, I narrowed it down to one hex change that controlled the PCIe x1 x2 function so I modified the original flash descriptor with the hex edit and flashed it to my system using fptw64.exe -f desc.ben -desc

it worked, aside from no longer having usb 3.0 or Ethernet my eGPU Setup 1.30 reflected 2.1 for P1 and P3 as well as 2.2 if I enabled gen2, but after booting to the OS my GPU-Z still shows the eGPU running at x1 1.1...the eGPU will occasionally idle at x1 2.0 but under load it will switch back to x1 1.1...

After all that the benchmark only went up a little...

I had a little panic when I was unable to flash back my original flash descriptor because of was write protected but I came across MESET.exe and was able to restore my flash descriptor re-enabling USB 3.0 and Ethernet

Can anyone help me with this? I'm so lost

Am I SOL because I'm running a series 6 chipset?

Am I supposed to be doing something else?

Thank you

Yes FITC for 6 series chipsets is buggy. I could never get any mods to work on it. It produces a corrupt flash descriptor as well as a messed up ME FW.

Pci-e 2.0 should work though and allow the 7870 to beat the 555m soundly in most cases. The pci-e should scale back to 1.1 when the card is idle, but ramp up to 2.0 when it is in use. Have you checked in while in use?

hex editing the flash descriptor worked for me but it didnt seem to be 100% effective

I am currently running my default flash descriptor with pcie x1

PCI Compaction->32BitA->disablesunused->ignoredGPU->iGPU/eGPU->disabledGPU->P3 Gen2 x1 1.2->chainboot->test (<--- I think I'm doing this right?)

My eGPU will idle at x1 1.1 and bounce to and from x1 2.0

8q9.png7us.png

Underload by clicking the ? in GPU-Z my eGPU stays at x1 1.1

fx.png

I am unable to launch MSI Kombuster, "Unable to initialize the 3D window. An OpenGL 4.0 support is required."

I am unable to launch 3D Mark Firestorm because it crashes

Ice Storm works but barely...

eEFI is a special EFI written to allow an eGPU to behave as if it were an internal GPU

Can be used to use Recovery partition, or access boot menu

It's an incredible advance for eGPU

But we will be delayed in releasing them as we have recently discovered that some folks here aren't respectful of the hard work of others.

How do you mean, "aren't respectful of the hard work of others"?

I know I'm probably necroposting, but it was such a provocative statement I had to ask.

Do you know what he meant??

This site is exempt from the 1st amendment. Ask me on another site, happy to reply with quotes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.