Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan sorry i was assuming they where being deleted.

Apologies. Probably frustrating other users as well.

So I'm getting an OS X section created here. Means threads that can run their course without being bundled into this one.

Look for it as:

Section Heading: Mac OS X discussion

Subtext: Discussion about eGPU use under OS X

pg 37 of the linked Vostro 3560 schematic shows the x8 2.0 link pins to the 7670m chip. You'd be removing the 7670M chip and soldering lines to those pins and a PCIe socket. Then you'd run a powered PCIe riser externally to attach your video card.

OK, maybe a noob's question but I can't find any PCIe signals on page 37.(?) What am I missing?

OK, a bit of a silly post, but I'm curious nonetheless...

I saw this youtube video debuting the new Steam controller and noticed that the game footage was buttery smooth:

---- make sure you select 1080p 60fps

Is this how my games should be running with an egpu (provided my settings are configured conservatively)? When FRAPS shows 60fps (and even above), my gameplay does not seem THIS smooth (with or without vertical sync & triple buffering). Is there some kind of post-processing going on in this video?

I'm restricted to Thunderbolt 1 speeds, so I know that is having some impact. I had to downclock my card by -250MHZ to improve some stuttering.

In my experience videos (even in 60FPS) still can't display the way you "feel" the game that you are playing by yourself.

Some rules:

- 60fps should match most displays and will make the gameplay smooth (better with high Hz displays and high FPS)

- V-Sync will avoid Screen Tearing but your game will be displayed a bit delayed (not good for first person shooter)

- to get the best results with V-Sync stay at or above 60FPS! Less FPS can still cause Screen Tearing

- G-Sync displays will make even low FPS games look better

Imho it is important to monitor temperatures, loads, FPS and clock speeds to identify problems and bottlenecks

• Thumbs Up 1

you can improve your game smoothness with these tweaks:

1. Use an external LCD instead of Optimus accelerated internal LCD. The latter putting load on the PCIe link.

2. Disable eGPU sound and instead use your notebook soundcard instead. That then means all the bandwidth will be dedicated to graphics.

3. Use EVGA Precision to set a Frame Rate Target of 60Ghz, matching your LCD. Frame Rate Target - Precision X16 v5.2.7 - EVGA Forums

4. Lower your resolution to put less demand on your PCIe link and GPU.

5. Apply any game specific tweaks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.