Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

hey geys, the EGPU is a very interesting technology and i can't wait to try it out, but i'm wondering my laptop Asus N55S with i5-2450m, 8gb of ram, gt 635m able to handle the legendary "970"??? and what kind of power supply is recommended? btw the PCI card i'm looking at is "EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock" (49.99 usd), is there any better option out there? thanks in advance!

hey geys, the EGPU is a very interesting technology and i can't wait to try it out, but i'm wondering my laptop Asus N55S with i5-2450m, 8gb of ram, gt 635m able to handle the legendary "970"??? and what kind of power supply is recommended? btw the PCI card i'm looking at is "EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock" (49.99 usd), is there any better option out there? thanks in advance!

Hello guys,i'm new here.My laptop's specifications:i5 4200u 8gb ram 15.5" 1080p screen gt740m 750 gb HDD and my laptop brand is sony vaio.I want to do exp gdc stuffs.Which video card compatible with my laptop? (I want to install gtx 970-960 or r9 280-280x maybe r9 290).

@w4vz, I've moved the details of your mod to be the 2nd post of this thread. Makes it clear on how easy it is to do this mod. Included a FAQ. Plus did a clean up of this thread. Feel free to improve your post for this groundbreaking mod :)

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html#post122731

Ah the thunderbolt cable! Yes it works now! Thanks again.

Just now waiting for my 6 pin to 8 pin adapter and I should be good to go!

Edit: My card seems to fit with the fan still in the enclosure. Should I switch it round so it blows out the front to help with cooling do you think? As the card will be drawing in air from the front so this fan could act as an exhaust.

Has anyone tried Setup 1.30 with Windows 10 insider previews (preferably recent builds)? If so, is it possible to use the same DSDT table or is it necessary to recreate it?

Setup 1.30 works with Windows 10TP last I tested it. The DSDT table that windows uses is extracted from memory during bootup unless a registry DSDT override is in place. No reason then why a modified DSDT table (extending the root bridge into 64-bit space) canot be loaded into memory by the Setup 1.30 pre-boot environment for use with Win10 in the same way as it can under Win7 or 8.x

I really like this technology, but something is really troubling me, would be really appreciate if you can help me out! My laptop model is AsusN55S, and from the EXP GDC site show that ASUS N55SF (not the same model as mine, but similar considered is N seres) is known as unfit model http://i.imgur.com/DXTVS0U.png, i've contact GDC EXP retailer on FB page at first he say it'll definitely fit my laptop, and then i refer him to this image, he says that N55SF known as unfit model due to hardware issue (not mPCI-E slot size), so my question is will my modelAsus N55S will fir this products (EXP GDC BEAST)??? Thanks in advance!!

I really like this technology, but something is really troubling me, would be really appreciate if you can help me out! My laptop model is Asus N55S, and from the EXP GDC site show that ASUS N55SF is known as unfit model http://i.imgur.com/DXTVS0U.png, i've contact GDC EXP retailer on FB page at first he say it'll definitely fit my laptop, and then i refer him to this image, he says that N55SF known as unfit model due to hardware issue (not mPCI-E slot size), so my question is will my model Asus N55S will fit this products (EXP GDC BEAST)??? Thanks in advance!!

hello i want to have [h=1]EXP GDC Beast paired with gtx 750ti now i want to know if my laptop dc of 19v*4.75a is enough as power suplly for this build[/h]ps : gtx 750ti max power conseption as the reviews say is about 65 -70 watt

PC:

Macbook Pro retina 2014 13" i5 - 128 gb ssd.

OS: Yosemite 10.10.3 / Win 8.1 Enterprise via. bootcamp.

Hardware:

Akitio Thunder 2 + molex to DC barrel mod

MSI GTX 660TI PE

Corsair CX430M

Issue:

I can find the Aktitio when using OSX, but windows has issues booting.

If i let the akitio stay turned on and boots to windows = black screen on monitor and internal screen.

If i turn on the akitio when the windows boot logo appears, the internal screen turns on, however I cannot find akitio or the GTX 660ti in the device manager. Neither can i install the nvidia driver (352.86 tried).

Try, like Dschijn said:

- Keep Akitio powered off

- Start Macbook, hold ALT

- Start Akitio and if possible start a timer on your smartphone or whatever at the same time.

- Wait up to 1:30-2:00 min and then boot.

That's the way I boot my 15" MBPr 2014.

If both screens are black, wait for some time. If I remember correctly I had the same when I booted Windows up the first time with the eGPU attached. Both screens were black and it needed some time to download(?) and install the drivers that Windows always does itself.

Maybe temporarily disable a password if you've set one for your login.

Try, like Dschijn said:

- Start Akitio and if possible start a timer on your smartphone or whatever at the same time.

That's the way I boot my 15" MBPr 2014.

If both screens are black, wait for some time. If I remember correctly I had the same when I booted Windows up the first time with the eGPU attached. Both screens were black and it needed some time to download(?) and install the drivers that Windows always itself.

Maybe temporarily disable a password if you've set one for your login.

I will give that a try ! Thank you for the fast answer - I will return in about 10 minutes.

Try, like Dschijn said:

Just tried - still same issue, black screen on both - fan on GPU going mad.

Please also check Device Manager->Disk Drives -> Properties -> Volumes -> Populate. Check if you have MBR (BIOS) or GPT (UEFI) listed there:

disk-volume-properties-mbr-png.106150

It says Guid Partition Table (GPT)

Please apply http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html to ensure you boot with an iGPU. The Macbook firmware seems to otherwise disable the iGPU and revert to using the eGPU (seemingly like a dGPU-equipped 15" Macbook Pro), which if not working correctly would lead to black screens on both.

Please apply http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html to ensure you boot with an iGPU. The Macbook firmware seems to otherwise disable the iGPU and revert to using the eGPU (seemingly like a dGPU-equipped 15" Macbook Pro), which if not working correctly would lead to black screens on both.

I will give that a try and reply back! Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.