Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

So I could avoid making a molex connector altogether if I just added this screw terminal to one of the legs of the pcie splitter? I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Thank you for the help! :-)

Exactly. You would use the cables directly und put them into the screw terminal.

If you want to wait and see if everything is fine this way, I've ordered my stuff and expect it to be delivered in the next 2-3 days.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I've tried to read through all 11 pages but I'm not certain what I need to do. How do I determine what LCD upgrade options are available on my laptop? Do I look for a specific part # on the physical MB somewhere? Is there something in the bios that'll tell me what I need? About the only thing I am fairly certain is that I need to get the appropriate cable for which ever LCD I purchase please correct me if I'm wrong there.

BPlus ceases development of their DA-2 specific SWEX adapter due to the more readily available w4vz PCIe splitter solution

Correspondance about this is in the spoiler:

Date: Mon, May 18, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Subject: RE: Dell DA-2 to molex+PCIe adapter with on/off switch

To: Nando

Hi Nando,

Thank you for your information.

Our internal discuss, we will stop create Dell DA-2 SWEX.

We think this cable is better than our SWEX for cost issue.

If you have any question ,please feel free contact me.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Roger

----

Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 12:11 PM

To: Roger @Bplus

Subject: Re: Dell DA-2 to molex+PCIe adapter with on/off switch

Hi Roger,

w4vz posts using 2x PCIe splitters to split off Dell DA-2 power

w4vz has worked out an easier way of getting a Dell DA-2 to PCIe power out using low cost and readily available PCIe splitters at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion-4.html#post132979

You can see how cheap these are, with the user just needing two to get w4vz solution going: PCI-E 6pin splitter | eBay)

Does this alter the plan to create a Dell DA-2 SWEX?

Will this change your plans for creating a DA-2 SWEX? Our users are cost conscious so any BPlus solution/bundle would need to be a low cost item including shipping to be an alternative to w4vz' PCIe splitter solution. Maybe adding low profile PCIe connectors as an option? http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9951-low-profile-pcie-connectors-discussion.html#post130496

Regards,

Nando

• Thumbs Up 2

So I tested with the 970 in gaming situation and it is all working ok as far as power is concerned. Still testing stability... No Gaming crash yet but two browser crashes..

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still curious how the Dell DA-2 fits into the 6-Pin. Isn't there any problem with the square "pins" of the DA-2 going into the 6-Pin with a different layout of the plugs? Especially the ground pin on the right side of the DA-2 (opposite side as the remote pin) is square shaped and is going into the 6-edges 6-Pin of the y-cable.

I am still curious how the Dell DA-2 fits into the 6-Pin. Isn't there any problem with the square "pins" of the DA-2 going into the 6-Pin with a different layout of the plugs? Especially the ground pin on the right side of the DA-2 (opposite side as the remote pin) is square shaped and is going into the 6-edges 6-Pin of the y-cable.

I had no issue whatsoever to plug it. Just forced it a little bit.

• Thumbs Up 2

I had no issue whatsoever to plug it. Just forced it a little bit.

Ok, thanks!

By that statement, I would suggest that a 8-Pin PCIe plug should also work, right? With that 8-Pin you could more easily solder a switch into the wires between remote and ground.

But you solution still makes it the best way to connect the DA-2 with very little changes.

Ok, thanks!

By that statement, I would suggest that a 8-Pin PCIe plug should also work, right? With that 8-Pin you could more easily solder a switch into the wires between remote and ground.

But you solution still makes it the best way to connect the DA-2 with very little changes.

I have not tried but I reckon an 8 pin should fit just fine too.

So I tested with the 970 in gaming situation and it is all working ok as far as power is concerned. Still testing stability... No Gaming crash yet but two browser crashes..

Have you made any modifications in Afterburner? I'm curious to know how this operates under heavy load. Power consumption can exceed 300 watts on the 970 as shown by anandtech. I assume the PA-2 will hinder overall performance? I've already bit the bullet and ordered my parts, but I'm a little concerned about a performance hit, especially for TB1 users, such as myself.

post-35001-14495000054958_thumb.png

Power, Temperature, & Noise - The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Review: Featuring EVGA

Have you made any modifications in Afterburner? I'm curious to know how this operates under heavy load. Power consumption can exceed 300 watts on the 970 as shown by anandtech. I assume the PA-2 will hinder overall performance? I've already bit the bullet and ordered my parts, but I'm a little concerned about a performance hit, especially for TB1 users, such as myself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14922[/ATTACH]

That's total system power consumption, which includes the systemboard, HDDs, CPU, etc. We are driving just the video card with an approx extra 10W for the TB board. Way less.

Better to review the full load GTX970 power consumption like at MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4 GB Review | techPowerUp where it shows max as 213W. That's for a card that has a VBIOS set power target (TDP) of 200W + an extra 10% available via overclocking softrware like MSI Afterburner.

• Thumbs Up 1

NANO4 i will soon buy ur software please tell me what to do what and how to send u money for the software because it is my first time paying online with cards!

@computersaysno: Like Tech Inferno Fan said, that graph is for "total system power consumption"!

Regarding the power consumption of a GTX 970, I found a review about the Galax GTX 970 that I am using. With the very precisely monitored power consumption, you can see that the card has some crazy load spikes (no OC and power target at stock 100%):

15a-Galax-GTX-970-OC-mini-All-Rails.png

Source (tomshardware.de): Leistungsaufnahme und Effizienz - PC-Praxis: Galax GTX 970 OC Mod - extra leise und kühl für den Turbo-HTPC

Translated: https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.de%2Fhtpc-gtx970-modding-cool-quiet%2Ctestberichte-241708-4.html&edit-text=

The Dell DA-2 can handle that card in my system with a small OC and 110% power target in FurMark (worst case load scenario).

• Thumbs Up 1

NANO4 i will soon buy ur software please tell me what to do what and how to send u money for the software because it is my first time paying online with cards!

Details are bannered on the first post of this thread on the first page. In short, paypal Tech Inferno [email protected] or email if don't have paypal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14922[/ATTACH]

I am on OS X so afterburner is not working.

I play elite dangerous for hours on ultra settings with no problem so far.

The DA2 is warm but could not say if it is too much. I have a watt meter so I could try to check the draw at the DA2 in the next few days.

This is great. I cannot wait to get rid of my bulky 500W PSU! Appreciate you experts being so helpful to the newbies.

@w4vz I'll presume your browser crashes aren't related to power issues...more OSX being stubborn?

Thanks but Im no expert. I learnt by reading the forum posts a lot :)

This is my third try on EGPU try and the most stable so far.

Yes, I suspect OS X being glitchy (have a few little annoying bugs here and there so it is not perfect) Can't use silverlight stuff anymore right now for example; my screens go black and if I quit the browser they come back; never seen that before lol. Windows, from what I see in the forums seem more stable.

@syn4ps , thank you for the update. I've started a new thread for your system so other users can leverage off your success.

Would you mind putting in some pics as well as 3dmark11 benchmark linked results? Then I'll know where to place you on the leaderboard at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11 .

@computersaysno: Like Tech Inferno Fan said, that graph is for "total system power consumption"!

Regarding the power consumption of a GTX 970, I found a review about the Galax GTX 970 that I am using. With the very precisely monitored power consumption, you can see that the card has some crazy load spikes (no OC and power target at stock 100%):

15a-Galax-GTX-970-OC-mini-All-Rails.png

Source (tomshardware.de): Leistungsaufnahme und Effizienz - PC-Praxis: Galax GTX 970 OC Mod - extra leise und kühl für den Turbo-HTPC

Translated: https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.de%2Fhtpc-gtx970-modding-cool-quiet%2Ctestberichte-241708-4.html&edit-text=

The Dell DA-2 can handle that card in my system with a small OC and 110% power target in FurMark (worst case load scenario).

Just read the article, and seems like downclocking the card will hit you a sweetspot to avoid errors due to power consumption ?

Just read the article, and seems like downclocking the card will hit you a sweetspot to avoid errors due to power consumption ?

Exactly, you can bring the card to Nvidia original power consumption values of the stock GTX 970. But there is no need to do that, if you are concerned about the DA-2. Might help for cooling/noise/power consumption.

You can use the DA-2, just make sure that you have some soldering skills, as you will have to add a DC barrel to the main-power source of the akitio of the DA-2. You cannot you the original power adapter ( or it would not be wise to do so, due to ground loop ), so get all the power from the same source.

Do as I'm planning to do, solder a DC barrel on the 12v rail.

You don't need soldering skills. There is a screw terminal type barrel adapter available that just requires a screwdriver: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html#post113069

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.