Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Although I found several answers to my following questions I am still not sure what would be the best solution for an e-GPU system concerning my "technical environment":

The reason why I am planing to setup a e-GPU system is that I a would love to play games (some less power consuming games such as Fifa 2015 but also more power consuming games such as Rome Total War II) on my 4K LG 55 UHD TV. This TV only supports HDMI 2.0 input and I would love to buy a Geforce GTX 960, GTX 970 or a GTX 980 to play Fifa 2015 in 4k resolution on my TV via the HDMI 2.0 output at 60Hz.

Concerning my Hardware, I have several options.

First of all I have an iMac 27 5K late 2014 with an AMD Radeon R9 M295X however without an integrated intel graphic (I am still planning to install Bootcamp). As this system has Thunderbolt 2 I was expecting that the iMac would be the best option for my e-GPU system.

Moreover I have an Asus ROG G750JS gaming notebook with an geforce gtx 870m, integrated intel graphics but only Thunderbolt 1. Actually I use the Asus Rog as my gaming PC but as it only has TB1 I was expecting that the bandwidth would be to limited to run the e-GPU (e.g, with an GTX-970) in 4K via HDMI 2.0.

So I was wondering whether

a) whether the e-GPU system with an gtx 970 or the gtx 960 allows to use the HDMI 2.0 output to play fifa 15 in 4k on my TV (and maybe even other games in 4k)

B) whether the Thunderbolt 1 output of my Asus notebook would have enough bandwidth to play games in 4k on my TV

c) whether the internal Monitor of my iMac can be used as Target Display when using the e-GPU (I guess no because of the missing intel graphics)

Hope you guys can help me any further with these three questions...

Thank you!!

Is Tech Inferno Fan user still active on this forum? i have sent him a friend request in order to get the egpu setup but still have no response from him? Is the email adress specified at the start of the thread used for paypal money only or for communication too? i have worte to that adress with no response. Thank you

post-24743-14494999383904_thumb.png

DELL GTX 770M 3GB with svl7 BIOS.

post-24743-14494999384108_thumb.png

BIOS A12

PRIMARY DISPLAY PEG

SATA AHCI

ALL OTHER SETTINGS OPTIMAL (yes don't disable audio)

Download latest NVIDIA drivers.

- Extract driver with 7-zip/winrar

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdmn.inf (notepad) Edit -> Replace -> Find What: 05AE Replace With: 0490 -> Hit 'Replace All' -> Save.

- Extracted 334.67-notebook...International folder\ -> run setup.exe.

Allow unsigned driver thingy!

:Banane53:ENJOY!:Banane32:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

M15X

- Extract driver 7-Zip/winrar

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdmi.inf (notepad) CTRL+H -> Find What: 05AE Replace With: 02A2 -> Hit 'Replace All' -> Save.

- Nvidia 337.50...International folder\ run setup exe.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Might work with other 700 series cards as it was for a 765m.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13981[/ATTACH]

Easiest way to do it, if at all possible, would be to unweld the heatpipe from the CPU-mounting heatsink, move it slightly right, then weld it back on. I'm guess the offset would be about 10mm.

I'm going to give this a try. Just ordered the beafier heatsink. Should be here by the end of the month.

*NEWBIE NEEDS HELP* MBP eGPU build questions

MBP specs:

13" with retina display

2.6 GHZ i5

256 GB flash storage

8 GB

Hey guys, so I've been researching into adding an eGPU to a
and I have a few questions:

• How can I connect a GTX 750 Ti to an AkiTio Thunderbolt2?

• Do I need a fan and psu for the AkiTio and GPU?

• What is a powered riser, and will I need one?

• Why do people use bootcamp and install Windows to play games when you can use wine?

• If I need a fan and psu, should I get an enclosure?

• What would be cheaper and easier, to get a PE4L and an express card slot or get an AkiTio Thunderbolt2?

• Is there any coding or changing of files that needs to be done if I'm not using Windows?

• Will adding an eGPU mess up the Mac (I've heard of people having problems with safari and watching videos after using an eGPU)?

• How do I use the internal screen of the MBP instead of an external screen?

• Will I still get error 12 if I don't use Windows?

Finally:

• Is there a guide that can help me put everything together?

Thanks in advance guys; I really don't know any of these things. I know there are a lot of questions but it'd be awesome if you guys could answer them!

So I reinstalled OSX, still the same. I am so annoyed right now, I surprised myself not throwing the gear by the window... Egpu is not a viable solution unless you are doing rendering only. Too many bugs under OSX at the moment.

So I am buying a PC... If anyone want to buy my Akitio in London for £120, PM me.

yeah, I was really sold to the idea but it is not realistic to keep an unstable system. Now Im just left with two new permissions I can't repair...

Even more disgusted since we are doing all that because companies like intel and apple just refuse to create a no compromise external connection. Instead we get all sorts of limitations all the time so we have to buy the next generation, I mean pci-e already exists, just make it hot swappable and external for laptops, simple ! Thunderbolt was never needed.

yeah, I was really sold to the idea but it is not realistic to keep an unstable system. Now Im just left with two new permissions I can't repair...

Even more disgusted since we are doing all that because companies like intel and apple just refuse to create a no compromise external connection. Instead we get all sorts of limitations all the time so we have to buy the next generation, I mean pci-e already exists, just make it hot swappable and external for laptops, simple ! Thunderbolt was never needed.

Have you tested with the DVI or DP interface? HDMI support is a very new thing with Maxwell cards on OS X. Just some time ago it wasn’t possible at all.

@entzoe encountered also instability with a TB1 Mac (2011 13” MBP) + AKiTiO and was able to get it stable only by switching to Sonnet III-D: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7711-%5Bguide%5D-2011-13-macbook-pro-gtx780ti%4010gbps-tb1-sonnet-ee-iii-d-osx10-9-4-a.html

My two AMD cards are unstable with the AKiTiO, but Netstor NA211TB made them rock stable on OS X and Win8.1. Under some circumstances AKiTiO is not a future proof solution - the GPU has to be chosen with care. I am investigating how to make AKiTiO 100% stable with every GPU on this thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8844-targeting-akitio-thunder2-pcie-boxs-stability-issues.html

A soldering iron is my last chance. A powered riser with capacitor or a molex-to-barrel adapter doesn’t alone solve the problem. Just pondering if double capacitors (C1 & C3) make it better as OWC did. Someone with EE background may have a good idea.

Have you tested with the DVI or DP interface? HDMI support is a very new thing with Maxwell cards on OS X. Just some time ago it wasn’t possible at all.

Yeah I tried every single outputs on the card without change.

The only think I have not done is try a sonnet....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.