Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hello,

Can you please specify how stable is your system ? Im having many troubles with mine (random freeze/restart) even with basic web browsing. Sometimes it works for an hour, sometime it freezes straight away.

Is your system 100% stable ?

thanks

UPDATE: So it looks like it was a power issue. the GTX 970 has lots of small spikes which caused my PSU to shut off. Weird.. I am now using a Corsair 450 watt and all is well! Man.. so annoying tracking down an issue that happens only *somtimes* hehe

EDIT: Ok so optimus works perfectly. This time it doesn't work just with Windows 8.1 uEFI. You need Setup 1.x to get this working. (for maxwell cards and a G46VW)

@ha1o2surfer, would you mind posting a thread detailing your eGPU implementation like done at Asus G46VW eGPU TB Project: Now with a 970! - Graphics Cards - Linus Tech Tips ?

This Thread is to help put together a list of stability reports on eGPU configurations. Please do not flood with comments.

It would be great if Everyone could post (and update if necessary) their own setup with:

- Graphic card model

- Laptop Model

- Thunderbolt adapter model

- OS Version

- Driver version

- Powered riser ?

- PSU Model

- What do you use your eGPU for ? (Rendering, Gaming, Browsing, Extended display)

- Is the system stable ?

- What type of issue do/did you encounter?

- Did you manage to solve it and get a 100% stable system?

I hope I did not forget any important informations, If so add it to your post and I will update the guidelines accordingly.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I hope this helps everyone get a better understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

- Graphic card model: EVGA GTX770 2gb

- Laptop Model: Macbook Pro Retina mid 2012 16gb

- Thunderbolt Adapter model: Akitio Thunder 2

- OS Version: 10.10.1

- Driver version: WebDriver-343.02.01f01

- Powered riser ?: Yes

- PSU Model: Corsair RM 750

- What do you use your eGPU for ? (Rendering, Gaming, Browsing, Extended display)

I use mine in extended display mode for gaming, Video playback, browsing but not rendering. Just as a normal 2nd display but accelerated basically

- Is the system stable ?

Not stable,

Random Freeze and restarts under any kind of application. Sometime just opening an application triggers a crash. Sometime I can play for 30mn, sometime 1mn. Also crashes with Netflix, etc..

Safary is very glitchy, Ical too

No at all but what I still have to try is:

- Downgrade drivers to a version that someone says it is stable for them.

- Change graphic card but from what I read before many models seem affected.

I will update if I can think of anything else to say

This Thread is to help put together a list of stability reports on eGPU configurations. Please do not flood with comments.

It would be great if Everyone could post (and update if necessary) their own setup with:

- Graphic card model

- Laptop Model

- OS Version

- Driver version

- Powered riser ?

- PSU Model

- Is the system stable ?

I hope I did not forget any important informations, If so add it to your post and I will update the guidelines accordingly.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I hope this helps everyone get a better understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

- Graphic card model: EVGA GTX770 2gb

- Laptop Model: Macbook Pro Retina mid 2012 16gb

- Thunderbolt Adapter model: Akitio Thunder 2

- OS Version: 10.10.1

- Driver version: WebDriver-343.02.01f01

- Powered riser ?: Yes

- PSU Model: Corsair RM 750

I use mine in extended display mode for gaming, Video playback, browsing but not rendering. Just as a normal 2nd display but accelerated basically

- Is the system stable ?

Not stable,

Random Freeze and restarts under any kind of application. Sometime just opening an application triggers a crash. Sometime I can play for 30mn, sometime 1mn. Also crashes with Netflix, etc..

Safary is very glitchy, Ical too

No at all but what I still have to try is:

- Downgrade drivers to a version that someone says it is stable for them.

- Change graphic card but from what I read before many models seem affected.

I will update if I can think of anything else to say

Unfortuantelyn no. karthikrajanv has the GT650M 2012 15" Macbook Pro. Apple firmware preventing it's HD4000 iGPU being functional under Windows. Without the iGPU, NVidia Optimus will not activate and so cannot provide an accelerated internal LCD mode.

The best he can do is drag a *windowed app* that runs on the eGPU LCD to the internal LCD. Can't do that with full screen apps.

Tech Inferno Fan help me with the DIY eGPU Setup 1.20.... i have the same system, only change the video card GTX480.

Hi, sorry for crying out for help straight away, but I'm getting quite desperate with my setup.

Trying to get HD 5850 to work with HP4530s (no dGPU, Corei5 with HD3000, 8G RAM) through PE4C 2.1 with expresscard adapter.

Things I've tried (in order of trying):

DSDT override (according to official guide)

outcome: got the .aml loaded (compiled with warnings, but no errors) and the PCI bus under "Large memory". Win7 seems to fail to assign eGPU to the large memory bus (still get error 12).

DSDT override with 36bit compaction (tried out a few different combinations)

Uninstalled the DSDT, tried the 32bitA compaction (works only if use "for all devices")

outcome (for both): got over the error 12, installed the display driver. eGPU works until I try anything (as it feels) hardware-acceleration-related - even booting up with screen connected or trying to maximize a window (any graphics - of course) gives me the BSOD.

I'm actually wondering if it might be the faulty GPU/PSU or I can try doing something with Win7 and Setup 1.x?

Going to try finding a way to test the setup with a different PSU/GPU and/or test the existing 5850 on a different PC now.

Hello, i posted a few time ago, i want to ask again if Tech Inferno Fan as an email adress to get in touch with him. I wrote to the email on the start of the thread but i got no answer. Is that email used for paypal payments only?

hi hi good afternoon.. i have the next question

i have a toshiba Satellite L755D

8GB Ram

Win 8

250Gb SSD

i have bougth the Exp V7 Ares mPcie and i have a eGPU PowerColor Radeon HD 6950 2Gb

i connect my card

the system start and show the desktop

but dons recognize the device on Device Manager

what can i do? i cant use my eGPU ...

thx for the help..

greeting

pd.. sorry for my english i dont practice so much

Thank you for the startup process, will be sure to implement it soon.

Delay switch is already in the left position. Right one, regardless of when i try to plug in eGPU (prePost, in setup 1.x, os selection, when system is in sleep or just plug it when windows are booted) results in Master Blaster fan speeds on eGPU and no recognition.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.