Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

ASUS/Gigabyte ITX GTX970 are too tall to allow AKiTiO Thunder2 outer shell to fit over them

The ITX cards are taller than other cards. The Gigabyte you mention is 129mm tall. Here's some photos of a 122mm tall ASUS ITX GTX670 in an AKiTiO Thunder2 AKiTiO Thunder2 + ASUS ITX GTX670 - Imgur which is too tall to allow the outer shell to fit over it. It has the same dimensions as the just released ASUS ITX GTX970:

Acquire a shorter but longer dual-fan Zotac/ELSA/Galax/Inno3D/Leadtek GTX970 to fit the enclosure *with* outer shell cover on

More suitable to achieve your aim would be the slightly longer and shorter (111mm) dual-fan cards by covered this thread's first post. Removing the video card's fan shroud and AKiTiO enclosure's left side fan will allow it to fit like shown for a Zotac here. The shell could be useful then for portability purposes and removed when gaming. If wanting to game with the shell on then would need to drill it for airflow and use very low profile PCIe power connectors to allow clearance.

Bend the AKiTiO leftside plate to fit longer cards

If you're going to operate the card without the outer shell then why not get a longer card such as a 9.5" EVGA SC/FTW and bend the AKiTiO left side faceplate to accomodate it? Their 111mm height wiould allow the outer shell to fit mostly over them during transport. The bent portion providing some rear protection to the protruding portion. Example:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7598-%5Bguide%5D-2012-mac-mini-gtx770%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-osx10-9-4-a.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8030-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx780%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html#post109807

Then again, there's a whole stack more options if are OK bending the enclosure. Eg: 10.6" long cards like a 141mm tall MSI GTX970 Golden Gaming Edition or 111mm tall reference GTX970, both standard with protective rear backplates. The reference one's cooler pushing airflow across the breadth of the card so. It's short enough to have the AKiTiO outer shell on with the protruding portion giving convenient access to the PCIe power plugs. Reference GTX970 looks great too.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card Silver 9001G4012510000 - Best Buy

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (Require Min. 500W Power Supply) - Newegg.com

MSI Global GTX 970 GAMING 4G Golden Edition

Go the naked option?

If want a long card, but don't want to bend the AKiTiO chassis to fit it, then can either extend the PCIe slot using a PCIe riser OR remove the AKiTiO circuit board and run it naked. Only problem there is some of the AKiTiO circuit board would be exposed. Example:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7580-%5Bguide%5D-2014-15-macbook-pro-iris-gtx780%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-a.html#post103029

Do you know if there is a way to take off the bent part with a screwdriver instead of bending it?

I have a Windows 8.1 Bootcamped already. I haven't booted it since upgrading to Yosemite but I'll give that a shot. I've never done a benchmark. Should I just download GPU-Z? Is that the software you use for that?

Also, Tech Inferno Fan, the Titan Z is also a dual card. Might be worth mentioning in the notes. It's marketed at 12 GB vram but it only runs at 6 GB. Kinda strange and mostly marketing I think. I don't exactly know what it all means.

You download 3dmark11, 3dmark (13) and run the performance (P) settings. Once complete, it will link you to the Futuremark website to give a performance ranking. Just post those links and I'll do the rest.

Looks like the Titan Z is a 2.5 slot card. I can see the extra 1/2 slot needed a bend on the left side of the AKiTiO to let it fit in.

Also, Tech Inferno Fan, the Titan Z is also a dual card. Might be worth mentioning in the notes. It's marketed at 12 GB vram but it only runs at 6 GB. Kinda strange and mostly marketing I think. I don't exactly know what it all means.

I've been wondering... Can you use Thunderbolt for file transfer? If so, what's to stop you from using it for networking? 20gpbs, I like those specs.

Yes, can use Thunderbolt2 to do very fast disk transfers: AKiTiO Thunder2 Quad | 4-Bay Thunderbolt 2 Storage Enclosure | AKiTiO .

Thunderbolt also offers fast peer-to-peer networking: Thunderbolt 2 Offers Peer-to-Peer Networking - Page: 1 | CRN .

The Thunderbolt2 enclosures allow PCIe cards to be installed of your choice, so you could create a TX/RX pair using whatever physical medium for data transfer you want. Eg: fibre.

Was excited to see if this might work, solve my issue of getting the 'Error 15' message after I select eGPU select 1.3. But I got the same error. With my eGPU plugged in to thunderbolt port, if I reboot my Macbook pro, it sits at black screen, no boot up screen. If I unplug eGPU, shut down and restart, it's boots to Windows 7 screen. No matter what I'm trying, can't boot into eGPU select 1. screen to make changes. Any ideas?

Hi, @SRJ - can you confirm that the card (GTX760) is working for you with the DA-2 adapter - is the 220W enough to drive the GPU? I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive (EXP GDC Beast + Dell DA-2 PSU + Gigabyte GTX760) to test them, but I wanted to know if should be looking out for problems related with the PSU not providing enough power. Thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.