What is the latest stable driver for Y510P?

gaben pls.

Latest stable drivers for windows 10 are the ones that install from the windows 10 update automatically. the ones on lenovos website are outdated and they are causing problems(wifi drivers, energy mg...etc).

One important thing, stay away from lenovo's power management software as it can do some serious damage to the charging circuitry on some revisions of the y510p and y500. it burned a mosfet on mine.

18 hours ago, Tesla said:

Latest stable drivers for windows 10 are the ones that install from the windows 10 update automatically. the ones on lenovos website are outdated and they are causing problems(wifi drivers, energy mg...etc).

One important thing, stay away from lenovo's power management software as it can do some serious damage to the charging circuitry on some revisions of the y510p and y500. it burned a mosfet on mine.

For the driver, mind telling me which version it is? Right now I'm using the latest 376.33 nvidia driver.

Also, is the energy management program really that bad? It's really been helping with the high temps. combined with the IdeaFan software.

Thanks.

@gaben pls. yep the latest drivers from nvidia are always recommended. I dont have nvidia drivers installed on my y510p coz im using amd eGPU.

As for the power management, first of all; you can use IdeaFan without the program. and if you really want to use their program, make sure to stay away from their "battery reset*" and "60% charge level" features. Those will burn a mosfet on your mobo's charing circuit eventually (There is a design fault ). there is a specific thread about it on lenovo's forums. I fixed my y510p by replacing the mosfet last year and stayed away from their energy management program. same thing happened to a friend of mine after doing battery reset from the program. so yeah unforunately it is that bad.

Note: If you decide to uninstall the program, make sure to disable the "60% charge level feature" first.

Note II: the "60% charge level" can cause severe throttling to the laptop's performance in gaming.

14 hours ago, Tesla said:

@gaben pls. yep the latest drivers from nvidia are always recommended. I dont have nvidia drivers installed on my y510p coz im using amd eGPU.

As for the power management, first of all; you can use IdeaFan without the program. and if you really want to use their program, make sure to stay away from their "battery reset*" and "60% charge level" features. Those will burn a mosfet on your mobo's charing circuit eventually (There is a design fault ). there is a specific thread about it on lenovo's forums. I fixed my y510p by replacing the mosfet last year and stayed away from their energy management program. same thing happened to a friend of mine after doing battery reset from the program. so yeah unforunately it is that bad.

Note: If you decide to uninstall the program, make sure to disable the "60% charge level feature" first.

Note II: the "60% charge level" can cause severe throttling to the laptop's performance in gaming.

Thanks! I'll make sure to avoid those features (Right now, its on the Maximum Battery Life option). The only problem I have now is when gaming. First of all, I use nVidia Inspector to underclock my GPU's to avoid crashes. Usually, after playing Skyrim (or really any other game), the P-State of my 2nd GPU drops to P5 from P0, and stays stuck there, which is really annoying because it forces me to exit the game and have to restart the display drivers through nVidia Inspector. I think this has a problem with my current nVidia driver. . .

Anyone know how to fix this?

Edited by gaben pls.

On 12/22/2016 at 1:22 AM, Tesla said:

Try to DDU and reinstall the latest driver again. also make sure that your temps are in check.

I actually have DDU'd recently with the latest driver. For the temps, they usually range from 40-85 and almost never reaches 95+.

Been looking around for problems like mine but it seems like the only solution is to rollback to a more stable driver. Problem is, I dont really know which driver to use.

Anyone have an idea on which version I can try out?

Edited by gaben pls.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been using the latest Windows 10 drivers right from nVidia the only problem is the dual GPU's tend to overheat when gaming leading to the BSOD's so I try to cap frame rates around 30 whenever I can. More of a hardware flaw than anything else. I've had alot of problems with wifi drivers though 

On 12/30/2016 at 5:02 AM, deviousmrtaco said:

I've been using the latest Windows 10 drivers right from nVidia the only problem is the dual GPU's tend to overheat when gaming leading to the BSOD's so I try to cap frame rates around 30 whenever I can. More of a hardware flaw than anything else. I've had alot of problems with wifi drivers though 

Besides having BSOD's and overheating, have you experienced any other problems like the GPU's voltages lowering?

• 3 weeks later...

After finding the lowest stable voltage it's fine on mine. Too low and the laptop will just hang and need to be force-restarted.

Getting a laptop cooling pad or just elevating the laptop helps a ton.

• 2 months later...

@TheReceiver You cannot, as you need to change the whole motherboard's mosfets regulating the CPU's voltages. I'd not recommend that. The mosfet that Tesla spoke about is a charging circuit mosfet that blows if you attempt to do a battery recalibration in Lenovo Energy Management. Its confirmed to be a design flaw.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk