Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
J95

[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, haXBOXpro said:

 

Hey buddy just wanted to ask how you went about flashing the BIOS? I looked on the thread and there was no guide for a noob like me lol... Do you need to take the 980 cards out? 

 

Swicks Bios mod and guide can be found here

I do remember taking my graphics card out to do it, you have to be in legacy mode to boot off the thumb drive to flash, might can try going to the integrated graphics chipset then legacy?

 

Also an update on the 980m Throttles on the M18XR2.

 

Kudos go to Infinaris over at Notebookreview for this post, I've tested and confirmed this fixes mine as well.

The throttle for whatever reason only seems to be occuring from a cold boot.
I just turned my laptop on again and checked and it was throttling.
Restarted the computer accessed the bios switched to igfx and rebooted and accessed the bios again immediately and reset to peg....

No throttling on reboot.

From where I'm sitting it looks like toggling the gfx fixes the issue at least until you switch the machine off and then it throttles again so it looks like whatever causes the throttling is a bad setting somewhere. Might be worth seeing if someone were to shut their machine down and switch to igfx before switching off their machine.

Could be possible that the toggle sets the system up to work properly but its a bug from cold boot. Regardless I've rebooted the machine several times and everytime I toggle the gfx to igfx and back to peg it gets rid of the throttling for that session. If I restart the machine there doesnt seem to be any throttling either it seems to be an issue with a cold boot off of peg at least so far as from what i can see.

The question here tho is why does it throttle if booted directly on peg on cold boot but a simple gfx toggle seems to fix the issue?
 
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why i cant download the inf file it always says "

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2016 at 5:43 AM, excaliburike said:

why i cant download the inf file it always says "

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

"

You've not been promoted yet. You need to meet the promotion requirements or buy a subscription to Tech Inferno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GeForce 365.19


    *Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
      Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

 

       Requirements:

       Due to driver incompatibility (black screens, TDRs, BSODs...) with previous vBIOS versions you must flash latest @Prema's v2 980M & 970M (Please consider donating to Prema)


  • Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

 

        -> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

  • Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package (delete unnecessary folders as shown below) -> run setup.exe  

       >>> Keep these folders only <<<

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

 

 

    INF MOD v365.19

   

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

 

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

      

Updated throttle free PEG MODs GTX 980M/970M

 

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 - Full_Profiles_11_v353.00.txt

 

GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD Win10 - Full_Profiles_7_v352.84.txt

 

 

 

GeForce 365.19 Win 7/8.1
GeForce 365.19 Win10

 

 

nv_dispi.inf_v365.19_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v365.19_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

 

nv_dispi.inf_v365.19_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v365.19_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2016 at 8:50 AM, BDogg464 said:

Hello J95, 

It seems your quite the busy modder on this forum, and the golden goose.

I am in the process of preparing for a gpu switch in my M17xR3 from a 6970m to a GTX 780m 4gb.

I have already done a clean re-install of windows 10 with the old 6970m completely removed from the system, so no lingering drivers hanging around. only the onboard graphics (intel hd 3000)

everything in windows is working correctly, drivers, programs, etc with no problems. have osd and command center installed.   Did not install intel rapid storage (due to the fact it keep asking me to replace the sata controllers with old ones) Should I? (480gb ssd main drive/ 1tb 7200 rpm mass storage hdd) and flashed to the A12 unlocked bios with sata tweek.

Was wondering if there is a premade modded driver or do i have to edit them specific to my machine? (was hoping there was already a pre-modded driver i could just download and use)

Seems alot of people are already using 780m's in M17xR3's so what hoping to benefit from that...

Thanks in advance for any assistance or insite you can give

 

Here you go M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

Instead, use nv_dispi.inf v365.19 above.

 

 

---------------------UPDATED---------------------

 

@82280zx 

 

Also try hibernation workaround.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've recently flashed Prema's vbios for my single GTX 980M in a M18x R2. I did notice a noticeable increase in gaming performance, but also a pretty significant increase in temperatures. With stock vbios/clocks and a cooling pad at 22C ambient I get 78C locked on the GPU. With Prema's vbios that increases to about 80-82 in demanding games like Rise of the Tomb Raider. Took the cooling pad off and the temperatures went up to 87C with no signs of stopping before I got too worried and pulled the plug. 

 

I'm definitely starting to suspect something is wrong with my system GPU side (thermal paste? bad fan curve?). What sort of temperatures do you guys get with a 980M? And what would be considered safe? (Prema's bios has throttle protection kick in at 92C and I'm getting dangerously close to that without a cooling pad) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, J95 said:

Here you go M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

Instead, use nv_dispi.inf v365.19 above.

 

 

---------------------UPDATED---------------------

 

@82280zx 

 

Also try hibernation workaround.

 

Thats also a good find, I'll give that a try as well just to see what happens, I tried sleeping it and waking it back up later (unplugged while it sleep, plugged back in then woke it up) and my throttle was back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wuruochong said:

I've recently flashed Prema's vbios for my single GTX 980M in a M18x R2. I did notice a noticeable increase in gaming performance, but also a pretty significant increase in temperatures. With stock vbios/clocks and a cooling pad at 22C ambient I get 78C locked on the GPU. With Prema's vbios that increases to about 80-82 in demanding games like Rise of the Tomb Raider. Took the cooling pad off and the temperatures went up to 87C with no signs of stopping before I got too worried and pulled the plug. 

 

I'm definitely starting to suspect something is wrong with my system GPU side (thermal paste? bad fan curve?). What sort of temperatures do you guys get with a 980M? And what would be considered safe? (Prema's bios has throttle protection kick in at 92C and I'm getting dangerously close to that without a cooling pad) 

 

The Prema vbios maxes the voltage thats the primary reason for the increased tempretures. The other thing I noticed as well is that when pushing the cards under load it looks like the fans aint kicking up to max power theyre at a setting a little lower. If your concerned about the temps just install HWINFO64. When I saw my temps hitting the mid 80's I used that to manually increase the fans to max speed and the temps levelled out at 77ish instead. Cards wont hit that high a temp anyways unless your really pushing the GPU load anyways but having HWINFO64 installed is also no harm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how do you mod the nvidia vulkan drivers and would it override with direct3d and opengl drivers?

 

EDIT: never mind. i see that it is installed as of 365.19.

Edited by thegh0sts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

j95 do i copy over just the one inf file stated or both inf files that are in the download you directed me to?

nv_dispi.inf and nvdmi.inf         or just the nv_dispi.inf?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Infini said:

 

The Prema vbios maxes the voltage thats the primary reason for the increased tempretures. The other thing I noticed as well is that when pushing the cards under load it looks like the fans aint kicking up to max power theyre at a setting a little lower. If your concerned about the temps just install HWINFO64. When I saw my temps hitting the mid 80's I used that to manually increase the fans to max speed and the temps levelled out at 77ish instead. Cards wont hit that high a temp anyways unless your really pushing the GPU load anyways but having HWINFO64 installed is also no harm.

Yes I've noticed that the GPU fan isn't as responsive to high temperatures than it maybe should be. I'll definitely give HWINFO a try. If you don't mind, do you mind sharing your HWINFO fan settings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys including the Golden Goose aka @J95

 

Never done this before can I get some help, upgraded my GPU's from GTX680's and tried the Mr Fox drivers but still cant install them without the NVidia cannot fine ETC screen. Can someone help me please. Cards are installed ok, I want to enable SLI.

 

I have an Alienware M18x R2, Running Windows 10 64Bit

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1618&SUBSYS_05501028


 

 

GTX970m.gif

2016-05-14_21-47-13.jpg

2016-05-14_21-47-34.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2016 at 0:35 AM, 82280zx said:

 

Thats also a good find, I'll give that a try as well just to see what happens, I tried sleeping it and waking it back up later (unplugged while it sleep, plugged back in then woke it up) and my throttle was back.

Temporary throttling fixes, specific drivers, switching RAM XMP profiles, BCLK, 120Hz always PEG + IGP enabled  (120Hz owners never try this, certain brick >>combination of BIOS settings<<)...basically messing w/  BIOS settings that will force F10 shutdown behavior "reset".

 

Hibernation method HERE and HERE

 

18 hours ago, BDogg464 said:

j95 do i copy over just the one inf file stated or both inf files that are in the download you directed m1e to?

nv_dispi.inf and nvdmi.inf         or just the nv_dispi.inf?

Yep, copy both files. Please follow instructions above...disabling DSE & deleting the proper folders.

 

 

14 hours ago, Jester945271 said:

Hi Guys including the Golden Goose aka @J95

 

Never done this before can I get some help, upgraded my GPU's from GTX680's and tried the Mr Fox drivers but still cant install them without the NVidia cannot fine ETC screen. Can someone help me please. Cards are installed ok, I want to enable SLI.

 

I have an Alienware M18x R2, Running Windows 10 64Bit

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1618&SUBSYS_05501028


 

 

GTX970m.gif

2016-05-14_21-47-13.jpg

2016-05-14_21-47-34.jpg

 

Those are G-SYNC 900M's...?

1618=970M

1617=980M

 

GeForce 365.19 Win10

 

nv_dispi.inf_v365.19_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

 

Installation instructions above, skip vBIOS flashing part...ask @Prema proper vBIOS mod.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2016 at 9:31 AM, wuruochong said:

I've recently flashed Prema's vbios for my single GTX 980M in a M18x R2. I did notice a noticeable increase in gaming performance, but also a pretty significant increase in temperatures. With stock vbios/clocks and a cooling pad at 22C ambient I get 78C locked on the GPU. With Prema's vbios that increases to about 80-82 in demanding games like Rise of the Tomb Raider. Took the cooling pad off and the temperatures went up to 87C with no signs of stopping before I got too worried and pulled the plug. 

 

I'm definitely starting to suspect something is wrong with my system GPU side (thermal paste? bad fan curve?). What sort of temperatures do you guys get with a 980M? And what would be considered safe? (Prema's bios has throttle protection kick in at 92C and I'm getting dangerously close to that without a cooling pad) 

 

Hey man

 

Under no circumstances should your GPU temp exceed 75 degrees (for the 980m) except if you're OC'ing

 

Mine, with Prema's vBios v2 and in dedicated mode idles at 40 degrees and doesn't exceed ~72 degrees under HEAVY load. For most games, including Rise of Tomb Raider it doesn't exceed 70 degrees. Of course this is with a cooling pad (notepal U3)

 

Two things to keep in mind when you have a temp problem:

1 - Use quality TIM. I use GE Extreme. Other great TIM's are Grizzly Kryonaut. Use the pea method and you should be fine. Make sure to properly clean the GPU die and heatsink before applying the TIM.

 

2 - Do NOT screw the heatsink too tight. This has helped me personally in the past and at least one person on another forum. BAsically what happens if you tighten too much the screws is that the heatsink warps and the space between the GPU and heatsink actually INCREASES. So what you want is to leave 1/2mm loose when tightening the screws. In my case it reduced my temps by almost 10 degrees (not kidding...)

 

Do not worry about vBios. And one recommendation, do NOT OC the 980m. There are countless stories of 980m dying. Many people's opinion is that especially the RAM modules aren't very good and tend to die fairly easily.... Make sure you put extra thermal pads for these by the way. Temp controllers will NOT monitor the temp of the RAM so you won't see their death coming...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @J95 you are a star Sir, I will take a look into this and hopefully get it all working, Can I still use Geforce Experience et al?

I just want to get back to Flight Simming. I get withdrawal symptoms, oh that and The Division. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@J95 Just an update, I tried the hibernate thing, it didn't work on the M18XR2 it actually made it throttle sooner on resume. I know that when using Swicks bios we go to the video settings in our bios and switch PEG --> IGFX save and exit, enter bios again, switch IGFX --> PEG, it fixes it for the entire session (even reboots etc) until the notebook is unplugged and moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2016 at 8:11 PM, J95 said:
On 5/14/2016 at 11:39 AM, BDogg464 said:

j95 do i copy over just the one inf file stated or both inf files that are in the download you directed m1e to?

nv_dispi.inf and nvdmi.inf         or just the nv_dispi.inf?

Yep, copy both files. Please follow instructions above...disabling DSE & deleting the proper folders.

 

Thanks, havn't tried it yet, but originally (on my first attemp)  i did everything right, just did'nt delete the un-needed folders. Did'nt scroll up enough to see that part.

Thanks for all your help so far. Everything seems to be running great! Sound, and all ports working correctly HDMI and all. gpu runs great, flashed to the unlocked vbios no problem. put a small overclock on it +100/+185 and hav'nt seen temps go over 70. On average when playing (mostly Doom since the install) temps sit around 62-66 under load. Look forward to giving these new drivers a try as they state to have a few fixes in it for Doom.

 

 

So these where just released   365.19  WHQL   on  5-13-2016    so same procedure right, just use these drivers/replace two files/Delete unwanted files

Edited by BDogg464

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2016-05-14_21-47-34.jpg

2016-05-14_21-47-13.jpg Sorry I am new to this site and have this exact same issue , just trying to load My the driver package I got from J95's work for Jester  GeForce 365.19 Win10

 

but need the modified nv-dispi file , could any one please help ... Thank you all for all your help in advance ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2016 at 6:26 PM, J95 said:

GeForce 365.19

  • Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

        -> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

  • Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package (delete unnecessary folders as shown below) -> run setup.exe  

       >>> Keep these folders only <<<

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

 

    INF MOD v365.19

   


nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

GeForce 365.19 Win10

nv_dispi.inf_v365.19_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

 

 

First thank you for being a life saver in the community for more than once!

 

Unfortunately.. i still get a failed on the graphic driver even tho i follow every walkthrough religiously.

Win10 clean install , M17X R3 , 680m with mod driver that worked flawlessly with 7 , 

 

I have Disable driver Signing, ran DDU, got the proper inf, kept only the specified folders, ran setup.. 

still FAILED!

 

Is there one last miracle that can be done ? Something else should i know ?? at this point, screw win10 and when support of win7 stop, i got a 2k$ paperweight! really wish i can give a second life to my Alien with win10 but the situation is behond me at this point!

Edited by DocBurN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/5/2016 at 5:20 PM, wuruochong said:

Yes I've noticed that the GPU fan isn't as responsive to high temperatures than it maybe should be. I'll definitely give HWINFO a try. If you don't mind, do you mind sharing your HWINFO fan settings?

 

Just check the fan settings and make sure its set to 4500/5000 once temps get above 70'C that should kick the fans up to max power and stabilise your temps at the upper 70s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2016 at 7:41 PM, BDogg464 said:

 

Thanks, havn't tried it yet, but originally (on my first attemp)  i did everything right, just did'nt delete the un-needed folders. Did'nt scroll up enough to see that part.

Thanks for all your help so far. Everything seems to be running great! Sound, and all ports working correctly HDMI and all. gpu runs great, flashed to the unlocked vbios no problem. put a small overclock on it +100/+185 and hav'nt seen temps go over 70. On average when playing (mostly Doom since the install) temps sit around 62-66 under load. Look forward to giving these new drivers a try as they state to have a few fixes in it for Doom.

 

 

So these where just released   365.19  WHQL   on  5-13-2016    so same procedure right, just use these drivers/replace two files/Delete unwanted files

Correct.  Though occasionally you'll need to repeat IDT steps.

 

On 5/19/2016 at 3:21 PM, DocBurN said:

 

First thank you for being a life saver in the community for more than once!

 

Unfortunately.. i still get a failed on the graphic driver even tho i follow every walkthrough religiously.

Win10 clean install , M17X R3 , 680m with mod driver that worked flawlessly with 7 , 

 

I have Disable driver Signing, ran DDU, got the proper inf, kept only the specified folders, ran setup.. 

still FAILED!

 

Is there one last miracle that can be done ? Something else should i know ?? at this point, screw win10 and when support of win7 stop, i got a 2k$ paperweight! really wish i can give a second life to my Alien with win10 but the situation is behond me at this point!

 

Wrong order.

 

cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

 

  -> reboot -> F8 -> Safe Mode -> Run DDU -> reboot -> F8  select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers (nv_dispi.inf).

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Aun
      I am trying to find unlocked bios for overclocking but i cannot find it from a few days please someone help in me. its for my alienware 17 r3 with 970m and i7 6700hq.
       
      my dumped gpu bios
       
      i would really appreciate your help!
       
      and btw rn i OCed thru msi after burner core clock +135 and memory clock +250.
       
      cpu gpuz pic
      gpu pic
       
    • By Yomaster
      Hello, 
       
      some of my computer specs are as follows: 
      CPU: I9-9900k
      GPU: RTX 2070
      memory: 32 GB (forget the manufacturer/ clocks)
      Dsanke bios mod
       
       
       I recently bought a 1440p screen that is 120hz capable, but it does not allow me to select the 120hz option. I have checked numerous places and all of the websites say that this screen is 120hz enabled. I have the dsanke bios mod on my computer. I see people being able to use this screen's 120hz functionality, but I can't get it to work. Any suggestions? If you need any additional information about my laptop, I will be happy to provide info.
       
    • By Miyagi1007
      Hello guys so i bought a used alienware m17x r3 with hd 6870m on it, so when i was trying to boot well it goes to the windows 7 loading screen that says starting windows after that the screen turns white and goes to bsod saying atikmpag.sys
       
      also i attempt to switch my integrated gpu to my discrete card ( hd6870m)  and i wont switch at all 
       
      Responses are highly appreciated 
      Thank you in advance
    • By blancaster
      does anyone know why a vbios file  8mb in size for nvidia k80 , myu backup bios is only 256kb
    • By IveGotRoot
      I have recently upgraded my laptop(an M6800 firepro 6100) and replaced it with an GTX 980m. Nvidia says that the latest driver(461) supports my card but i can only install up to 388.13 Ive tried to mod it but i can't figure it out. I can run the latest linux driver tho
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.