[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

@J95 very off topic lol but what versions of Intel MEI are you using along with RST and Chipset software? I've updated the last 2 but the first one not too sure which is to be used... Would help if you could give ID/ links to versions for all 3.. Also must be the hundredth time I've asked but to flash unlocked A11, how would I do it? Do I just download the A11 from Dell website and downgrade from A13? Thing is my board came with A12... then do I make bootable drive and flash unlocked? Is there some safe way to do this? I really think that I need unlocked BIOS due to CPU throttle power limit which can only be removed there...

@J95 very off topic lol but what versions of Intel MEI are you using along with RST and Chipset software? I've updated the last 2 but the first one not too sure which is to be used... Would help if you could give ID/ links to versions for all 3.. Also must be the hundredth time I've asked but to flash unlocked A11, how would I do it? Do I just download the A11 from Dell website and downgrade from A13? Thing is my board came with A12... then do I make bootable drive and flash unlocked? Is there some safe way to do this? I really think that I need unlocked BIOS due to CPU throttle power limit which can only be removed there...

M17xR4 flashing unlocked sBIOS A11

M17xR4 Optimus -> First Remove 980M/970M, 2 screws (only) keep the heat sink. M17xR4 120Hz -> install stock GPU instead

1- Windows 7/8.1 only, F2 -> BIOS -> disable secure boot -> F10 save & exit -> Flash stock A11 BIOS *Right click run as administrator* -> F2 BIOS -> Set Legacy BIOS/Option ROM -> Boot Configuration -> Boot order Set USB first -> Exit menu -> Save without exit -> Power Off -> Flash unlocked A11 sBIOS -> Flashing method 2 (FPT)[url]http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html[/url]

2- A11 Unlocked sBIOS -> F2 BIOS -> Set Boot Option to UEFI -> Legacy Option Rom disabled -> Secure Boot Disabled -> Fast Boot disabled -> Exit Menu save without exit option -> Power Off -> Install/reinsert 980m/970m.

3- Flashing ME FW without overwriting ME settings.

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION]

Upgraded ME FW v8.1.52.1496, BCLK nice improvements...regarding cold boot freezes. I will do some further testing as soon as I have some spare time. I've done this a few times, even different stuff M18xR2 hoping to fix M17xR4 CPU TDP...unlocking it occasionally under UEFI.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15719[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15720[/ATTACH]

[url=http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html]Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools[/url]

Filename          : ME8_1.5M_Production.bin
MD5               : 57d24c09484834e0a1772bce3489f1f4
SHA1              : a48fe5390d07a0f4e1def9958e697c3351f2b4bb

Intel MEI v11.0.0.1157 installed, exit ThrottleStop, HWiNFO, Defender.

cmd (Admin) Check current version: FWUpdLcl64 -fwver

Backup first FWUpdLcl64 -save BACKUP.BIN

Flash FWUpdLcl64 -f ME8_1.5M_Production.bin

-> reboot

ME Firmware v8.1.52.1496 & Flashing tool -> intel-me-system-tools-v8.1.rar

4- Install Intel XTU Win7/8.1 & Win10 fix (updated ME/ACPI/WDT driver >included<) [url]http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-[/url]

5- Creative SB - drivers & Control Panel Win8.1 & Win10.

1- Uninstall Creative software under Programs & Features -> Device manager -> Uninstall Sound Blaster Recon3Di -> check delete the driver software for this device -> reboot.

2- Download/Install latest Dell/AW Creative driver package [url=http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=4T7P8]Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di CT9570 Driver for Win8.1 Driver Details | Dell US[/url] -> Extract w/ 7-Zip.

2.1- Select "custom install" -> Install SB Control Panel only, deselect the other options -> exit without reboot. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15715[/ATTACH]

3- Under services -> right click "Creative Audio service" Stop service -> Properties Startup type: Disabled (driver package below updated Creative Audio service) [ATTACH=CONFIG]15716[/ATTACH]

4- Win10 -> Download [URL='https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BzTDsNCMkz3adERvUEdISl9DTVE&export=download']Recon3Di_v6.0.100.2056_Win10[/URL] -> extract -> -> Device manager -> Use have disk method -> browse "Recon3DI_v6.0.100.2056_Win10" -> install using ctHda.inf

Win8.1 v6.0.100.2056 -> extract using explorer or winrar, have disk method above [url]https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=0aeb069a-ff06-4408-9044-e7e609f0cf56[/url]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15717[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15718[/ATTACH]

-> Reboot
  • Thumbs Up 1

In regards to the windows 10 issue has their been any update on what happened or any idea what exactly caused the screens to cut out? I've been using the 353.62 drivers since windows 10 launched and I've had no issues bar the occasional need to restart after a cold boot (also for some reason the icons on the screen were larger once or twice or it would boot occasionally with a lower resolution like 1024x768 instead of the native.) Restarting always fixed the issue. I tried the earlier drivers but had to uninstall em when I found them throttling with low memory usage when checked with GPU-z.

My own systems an alienware M18x-R2 with dual GTX980's (both use stock bios I've little interest in overclocking em). Also boots under UEFI with legacy disabled. My own systems also under warranty still so in the event my screen dies (hope it DOESNT happen tho) I can get it replaced but has their been any common factor besides windows 10+353.62 drivers? Also how long after windows 10 + 353.62 was installed did the monitors die? Saw Mr.Fox's computers both died within a day of that configuration being installed.

Only stable driver configuration I've had with the GTX980's instaled was the 350.12 drivers with windows 8.1. Later drivers seem..... buggy. Monitor doesnt kick in after the bios screen, Stuttery picture etc.

Hi I have been following the threads on [h=1]M17x r3 680M compatability forum on notebookreview.com[/h]

I have recently updated to windows 10 after a clean install on my M17x R3 with a 680m running fine up until now. I tried going through the laptoptogo site but none of their inf files work for me and I don't even want to attempt to mod an inf file myself due to lack of knowledge on programming. I went through and disabled the driver signature verification through the advanced boot options but it made no diffrence and the nvidia installer cannot detect my graphics card. I already am running the same modded bios you mentioned in your guide to installing the 680m and still have the same settings nothing works also this is my first post so I can't even download the files that are recommended.

@J95

My Hardware IDs are as follows:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&SUBSYS_048F1028&REV_09

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&SUBSYS_048F1028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&CC_0300

I'm not sure I understand the good they will do since I can't boot with anything but internal graphics or the original graphics cards. I suppose If I understood I wouldn't be having so many problems though huh?

I've skipped DSE like you said, but I still get:

NVIDIA Installer cannot continue

This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

on driver install after replacing nv_dispi.inf

This has been very frustrating and Eurocom has been less than helpful.... if you could please get me a little further, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks Kindly!

Even though I'm using Windows 7?

I get the following when attempting to run the cmd line when running cmd as admin:

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

The element data type specified is not recognized, or does not apply to the

specified entry.

Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.

Element not found.

Can somebody help spread some light hear , i have been in the process of upgrading my Alienware 17 r5 120hz model with GTX880m graphics card to a GTX980M . After no help with drivers at all from the seller i used ( HIDevolution ) i decided to do it alone . Right after a while i got sorted and joined this forum , i have been through and through post after post ! then i cracked it my GTX980m was installed and running using the original present driver from eurocom . This is the point it gets bad , i uninstall my nvidia driver using the recommended program in safe mode ! then i decided to update windows 8.1 to 10 ! all was good then bang blue screen windows is reverting back to your previous operating system . After booting my screen is still blank so i do everything known refit the original GTX880 ( same result ) . So i removed the cpu , ram and , com battery ) . After this i have five beeps but still a black screen . Right at this point i have now called dell and run all the standard tests ! but at the press FN plus power i have noticed slight background activity . After using the old torch trick and a hour with support it seems my screen had died ??? i thought this was only a problem with the latest driver from nvidia

Hi I have been following the threads on [h=1]M17x r3 680M compatability forum on notebookreview.com[/h]

I have recently updated to windows 10 after a clean install on my M17x R3 with a 680m running fine up until now. I tried going through the laptoptogo site but none of their inf files work for me and I don't even want to attempt to mod an inf file myself due to lack of knowledge on programming. I went through and disabled the driver signature verification through the advanced boot options but it made no diffrence and the nvidia installer cannot detect my graphics card. I already am running the same modded bios you mentioned in your guide to installing the 680m and still have the same settings nothing works also this is my first post so I can't even download the files that are recommended.

Due to THIS try v352.84 (nv_dispi.inf) from here http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf-31.html#post136061

@J95

My Hardware IDs are as follows:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&SUBSYS_048F1028&REV_09

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&SUBSYS_048F1028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&CC_0300

I'm not sure I understand the good they will do since I can't boot with anything but internal graphics or the original graphics cards. I suppose If I understood I wouldn't be having so many problems though huh?

I've skipped DSE like you said, but I still get:

NVIDIA Installer cannot continue

This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

on driver install after replacing nv_dispi.inf

This has been very frustrating and Eurocom has been less than helpful.... if you could please get me a little further, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks Kindly!

That's the Intel HD 3000...2 possible reasons: BIOS needs to be set to UEFI, like current Maxwell. M18xR1 lacks UEFI support or a faulty card. Try returning both cards... even better 780M option instead.

Can somebody help spread some light hear , i have been in the process of upgrading my Alienware 17 r5 120hz model with GTX880m graphics card to a GTX980M . After no help with drivers at all from the seller i used ( HIDevolution ) i decided to do it alone . Right after a while i got sorted and joined this forum , i have been through and through post after post ! then i cracked it my GTX980m was installed and running using the original present driver from eurocom . This is the point it gets bad , i uninstall my nvidia driver using the recommended program in safe mode ! then i decided to update windows 8.1 to 10 ! all was good then bang blue screen windows is reverting back to your previous operating system . After booting my screen is still blank so i do everything known refit the original GTX880 ( same result ) . So i removed the cpu , ram and , com battery ) . After this i have five beeps but still a black screen . Right at this point i have now called dell and run all the standard tests ! but at the press FN plus power i have noticed slight background activity . After using the old torch trick and a hour with support it seems my screen had died ??? i thought this was only a problem with the latest driver from nvidia

Windows 10 + Official 353.62 Drivers Has Killed Three Samsung LCD Displays

BIOS reset beeps: you will need to Install the stock card due to wrong settings being applied after a reset. Apply the settings below and then under exit menu select "Save without Exit" option -> Power OFF -> reinsert 980M.

AW/120Hz 980M correct BIOS settings: set UEFI and disable CSM (legacy option rom), secure boot disabled. Install Win8.1/10 using the GPT partition style.

Win10 disable driver signature enforcement and try installing v352.84 (nv_dispi.inf) from here http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf-31.html#post136061

- - - Updated - - -

@TomJGX did you flash unlocked A11 sBIOS... or my post was a waste of time? again...;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Indeed... From what I've read on NBR, these don't look to good but @J95 mod them plz :P

As for unlocked BIOS, I have the procedure marked down and will try when I can... Just sorted out the root on my LG G4 so now I can listen to music properly with Viper4Android... This next I guess...

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed... From what I've read on NBR, these don't look to good but @J95 mod them plz :P

As for unlocked BIOS, I have the procedure marked down and will try when I can... Just sorted out the root on my LG G4 so now I can listen to music properly with Viper4Android... This next I guess...

So are you guys using Prema vbios now?

Looking at the version 1.1 released when I go to flash it, it's telling me that my cards ID 05AA doesn't match the intended card's ID.

Haven't browsed these forums in a bit since I've been busy.

What's the 3D voltage on that card with stock vBIOS?

@Prema for your next version of Prema mod vBIOS can you please lower the stock voltage of 970M? 1.012V is too much.. My 970M can easily do less... Svl7s bios sets it to 0.95V.. Can you please reduce the voltage limit to that so if your cards can run at that you do so then...

Thanks for your work

Tom

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

@Prema for your next version of Prema mod vBIOS can you please lower the stock voltage of 970M? 1.012V is too much.. My 970M can easily do less... Svl7s bios sets it to 0.95V.. Can you please reduce the voltage limit to that so if your cards can run at that you do so then...

Thanks for your work

Tom

Hi I have been following the threads on M17x r3 680M compatability forum on notebookreview.com

It's just me read it somewhere or supposed to be for the R3 model can't installing the new Windows 10 because lacking the UEFI compatibility ??

I know I read it somewhere or there's workaround during installing it ?

Need your advice since I got the same system and GPU like the person above....

Thanks for your work

Tom

My vBIOS levels the GTX970M to a 3D base voltage of 0.9930v, this has been selected by looking at the average ASIC score of sold Clevo MXM cards.

If your card defaults above 0.993v with current vBIOS then its ASIC is below average (65.5-68.5% range) and it would use the same higher voltage as on a stock vBIOS.

It's just me read it somewhere or supposed to be for the R3 model can't installing the new Windows 10 because lacking the UEFI compatibility ??

I know I read it somewhere or there's workaround during installing it ?

Need your advice since I got the same system and GPU like the person above....

Windows 10 can be installed on m17x R3 which doensnt support UEFI.

This is because win10 need not to be installed under UEFI.

@Mr. Fox Due to voltage throttling VDDC/3D readings weren't accurate, please repeat the GPU-Z render test, both cards. Like above run each card at a time.

Thx

Better late than never. Sorry, with everything going on at work and wife's surgery, etc. I just totally forgot. Stock vBIOS as requested.

BXtztoyl.jpg

M17xR4 flashing unlocked sBIOS A11

M17xR4 Optimus -> First Remove 980M/970M, 2 screws (only) keep the heat sink.

M17xR4 120Hz -> install stock GPU instead

1- Windows 7/8.1 only, F2 -> BIOS -> disable secure boot -> F10 save & exit -> Flash stock A11 BIOS *Right click run as administrator* -> F2 BIOS -> Set Legacy BIOS/Option ROM -> Boot Configuration -> Boot order Set USB first -> Exit menu -> Save without exit -> Power Off -> Flash unlocked A11 sBIOS -> Flashing method 2 (FPT)http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html

2- A11 Unlocked sBIOS -> F2 BIOS -> Set Boot Option to UEFI -> Legacy Option Rom disabled -> Secure Boot Disabled -> Fast Boot disabled -> Exit Menu save without exit option -> Power Off -> Install/reinsert 980m/970m.

3- Flashing ME FW without overwriting ME settings.

ME Firmware v8.1.52.1496 & Flashing tool -> intel-me-system-tools-v8.1.rar

4- Install Intel XTU Win7/8.1 & Win10 fix (updated ME/ACPI/WDT driver >included<) http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

5- Creative SB - drivers & Control Panel Win8.1 & Win10.

1- Uninstall Creative software under Programs & Features -> Device manager -> Uninstall Sound Blaster Recon3Di -> check delete the driver software for this device -> reboot.

2- Download/Install latest Dell/AW Creative driver package Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di CT9570 Driver for Win8.1 Driver Details | Dell US -> Extract w/ 7-Zip.

2.1- Select "custom install" -> Install SB Control Panel only, deselect the other options -> exit without reboot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15715[/ATTACH]

3- Under services -> right click "Creative Audio service" Stop service -> Properties Startup type: Disabled (driver package below updated Creative Audio service)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15716[/ATTACH]

4- Win10 -> Download Recon3Di_v6.0.100.2056_Win10 -> extract -> -> Device manager -> Use have disk method -> browse "Recon3DI_v6.0.100.2056_Win10" -> install using ctHda.inf

Win8.1 v6.0.100.2056 -> extract using explorer or winrar, have disk method above https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=0aeb069a-ff06-4408-9044-e7e609f0cf56

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15717[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15718[/ATTACH]

-> Reboot

Ok @J95, I'm going pluck up and try flashing this... Just one question... You said to remove the GPU by removing the 2 screws that hold it down and not remove heatsink etc... So basically I just keep the fan there where it always is in the heatsink and then just remove screws, turn over computer and start the process? If anyone else can help on this (which I am sure there are plenty, please do)...

Just one last thing... I am really worried as my motherboard came with A12 when Dell replaced it... When I downgrade, it won't brick or anything right? That is really making me worry and has always stopped me from pulling the trigger... Is there anything I can do to make sure nothing goes wrong etc?

Ok @J95, I'm going pluck up and try flashing this... Just one question... You said to remove the GPU by removing the 2 screws that hold it down and not remove heatsink etc... So basically I just keep the fan there where it always is in the heatsink and then just remove screws, turn over computer and start the process? If anyone else can help on this (which I am sure there are plenty, please do)...

You will need to remove the fan first, then the 2 screws holding the VGA in place. There is not enough space to slide the whole assembly out if the fan is still in place.

You will need to remove the fan first, then the 2 screws holding the VGA in place. There is not enough space to slide the whole assembly out if the fan is still in place.

I don't really want to do that... That caused problems for me last time and reinserting the card was troublesome... I remember that when my 970M died, J95 told me to reseat it by removing just the 2 screws with heatsink in place along with fan (or without fan)...

Also according to Mr Fox, rolling back BIOS is fine as long as A13 doesn't have a newer UEFI version then A11... otherwise you'd softbrick.. I know that UEFI was added to A09 from A08 and similar thing happened for A07 to A08 for M18x R2... Is this the case that A11/A13 are same UEFI version?

• J95 pinned this topic