[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

Sadly I am getting this after trying to follow the steps in the pdfs

image.png.4c3e492617e633c66edc679af64e50f7.png

it seems windows 7 has a different method.

I am have two  780m gtx in an m18x R1, using windows 7 64bit.

I tried to locate the device and gpu ID from device manager

image.png.2dd34292650804ca0450fd28c646855f.png

if I understand correctly, 119F = 780m gtx, and 048F = m18x R1.

whenever I try modding both files NVDMI and NVDISPI, it doesn't seem to proceed with the installation.

also using older NVDMI and NVDISPI that worked with previous drivers is not working with this one.

maybe I am doing this wrong, or nvidia figured a way to counter using newer GPUs on older machines.

Solved. just had to update nv_dispi under [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] as it deals with windows 7

Plus the [strings] section as per TheTqM's posted pdfs.

Thank you!!

Edited by ahmadmud
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ahmadmud said:

Solved. just had to update nv_dispi under [NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] as it deals with windows 7

Plus the [strings] section as per TheTqM's posted pdfs.

Thank you!!

That would be it.

Glad you figured it out. Happy gaming.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting a:

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

Trying to download the instructions for modding the drivers... How do I get access???

23 hours ago, MrMEEE said:

I'm getting a:

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

Trying to download the instructions for modding the drivers... How do I get access???

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

Although now that you're an elite member you should be fine to download...

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried using a modded INF file for my Clevo 670MX on my Alienware M17XR4 without luck. Do you think a video card bios change is in order? If so how would it be done since I can't find a similar 3gb 670MX bios?

On 3/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, ahmadmud said:

Sadly I am getting this after trying to follow the steps in the pdfs

image.png.4c3e492617e633c66edc679af64e50f7.png

it seems windows 7 has a different method.

I am have two  780m gtx in an m18x R1, using windows 7 64bit.

I tried to locate the device and gpu ID from device manager

image.png.2dd34292650804ca0450fd28c646855f.png

if I understand correctly, 119F = 780m gtx, and 048F = m18x R1.

whenever I try modding both files NVDMI and NVDISPI, it doesn't seem to proceed with the installation.

also using older NVDMI and NVDISPI that worked with previous drivers is not working with this one.

maybe I am doing this wrong, or nvidia figured a way to counter using newer GPUs on older machines.

You need a test mode enabled or it will fail

This is very important to ANYONE who is currently using a modified system.

I installed the 1803 update an hour ago and while i was setting up to edit the drivers windows update INSTALLED the nvidia drivers without any need for modification.

I then restarted and tried installing the latest nvidia drivers..... they INSTALLED WITHOUT ANY NEED FOR MODIFICATION.

As of 1803 the M18Xr2 is OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED WITH SIGNED DRIVERS FROM NVIDIA/MICROSOFT guys!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 01/05/2018 at 5:19 AM, Infini said:

This is very important to ANYONE who is currently using a modified system.

I installed the 1803 update an hour ago and while i was setting up to edit the drivers windows update INSTALLED the nvidia drivers without any need for modification.

I then restarted and tried installing the latest nvidia drivers..... they INSTALLED WITHOUT ANY NEED FOR MODIFICATION.

As of 1803 the M18Xr2 is OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED WITH SIGNED DRIVERS FROM NVIDIA/MICROSOFT guys!

Mine is showing as 'Microsoft Basic Display Renderer'. And could not detect if it is 970m card.

Maybe we still need an inf file with a freshly installed system.

My system is windows 10 btw.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, new here, i have an M17xR4 that i installed a  970m on lastnight. I was able to edit my NVDMI.inf successfully and I can see it in device manager, also in GeForce. It shows current 419 driver from last month but when I try to play games it still uses th on board card. I've tried disabling the HD graphics and also tried making nvidia GPU primary card to no avail. 

I think I may need to mod the NVDSPI.inf but cannot figure out how. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok so I was able to get it working. My buddy Vinx advised me to navigate to : Start Menu> Settings> Display > Graphics Setting (At the Bottom) and manually add the programs or games and change which card they should use by default. Works great. I also posted a Topic with a video here > 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I have the alienware m17x r4 (2012)  I need the prema version 2, 980m vbios, I can't find it anywhere, I'm getting ready to install the Gtx 980m and get rid of the Gtx 675, will I need a modded driver or will the new driver work without mods, I have the unlocked A15 bios installed, thanks to Klem, with the friendly nvidia drivers will I still need a modded driver? do I still need the modded vbios for the Gtx 980m, if so, can someone please give me the prema version 2 vbios, the Gtx 980m 8gb card I have has vbios 84.04.35.00.05, and a Dell part number of, 0G6RM3, the CPU I have is a i7 3940XM, I don't know if the CPU matters for the Gtx-980m upgrade, please help, also do I use the mobile nvidia driver or the desktop nvidia driver? I have Windows 10 pro 64bit installed, I think it's build 1809, thanks everyone, Shelby. :)

Edited by captcavy
Forgot to add mobile or desktop driver,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so up to the 419 drivers everything was working fine. Since the 425 and 430s released I cant manage to install the drivers properly without it limiting my clocks. I am basically forced to roll back every time.  Anyone know what is happening and if there is a possible fix for this?

I cant get over 900mhz, im on w7 x64.

Edited by j3tstream

I am still using Windows 7 just updated windows update, I just use my Alienware M18XR2 for home theater, I do have a desktop so anyway I do want to see what can do gaming benchmarking, can i update to W10 without any issues? Also still on 345.20, tried running Ghost Recon Wildlands crashes really badly.

• 1 month later...

Please someone help me I bought gtx 970m for my alienware m15x because everyone keeps saying how easy it is, and im only able to get vga standard drivers to install because windows is stupid. I have downloaded so many different drivers and modded inf files and used several different versions of the drivers I cant figure this out. when people make a step by step list of what to do I usually get lost on the second step. I dont want this $200 to be spent in vain. Please check out this link! 

• 3 months later...

Hi All, 

I want to mode my Alienware M17x R5 to work with GTX 1060 6GB on Windows 10 64bit.

I've try to modifie nvdmi.inf but didn't success.

My card ID:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_05AA1028&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C20&SUBSYS_05AA1028
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C20&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C20&CC_0300

Version of Display Drivers: 365.19-441.66-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql

Please help

• 1 month later...

Guyss helpp !! Im with a alienware m17x and a gtx 870m running still on win7 . Trying to install new driver 425.31 inf modded from J95 . Already disabled the driver signature enforcment and pasted nv_dispi and nvdmi . Everytime i try to install it gets to the point in which windows says it cant verify the publisher then i choose install anyway and the installation of the graphic driver fails . Tried installing older drivers nothing seems to work . Before trying the update i was running on geforce 388.59. Now it too doesnt want to install, giving the same failed installation .

Edited by HANS VOLKBERG

• 3 weeks later...

hy everyone...

i am new to this forum and i really need your help to get my loved alien running again...

i  upgradet my alienware 17 (2014) from gtx860m to gtx970m but it won´t work... 

system is clean set up windows 7 ultimate uefi boot and im using stock bios a13

tried install nvidia mod driver 344.75 but wont run with this driver... i think because the optimus problem (intel HD4600) ive read about in this thread...

is it possible to get some working driver and modded inf for AW17 with Optimus ? 

pleeease help me out guys... i am really thankful for any help

• 1 month later...

Hello! I am the owner of Alienware 15 R3. I installed Windows 8.1 on it (10 does not suit me).

When I try to install the graphics driver from the NVIDIA website, I get a black screen on which the cursor appears if I click on the mouse.

Can someone tell me where to get the right driver or how you can modify the official one from NVIDIA, since for Alienware 15 R3 drivers are only for Windows 10 on the official website. Thanks!

Hi! I am currently gaming on a Alienware M17x R3 880m Clevio Card that I installed a couple weeks ago. I'm having a issue modifying my .inf files to get this video card to accept them. I also can not get my HD Audio to enable back on my mainboard(Yes i've troubled shoot'd this for weeks now. Still can't figure it out.) 

I was wondering if I could get some help with the newest Nivida drivers please=)If i'm doing something wrong or someone could help me out I'd appreciate it! However I did follow the step by step guides.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1198&SUBSYS_04901028&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1198&SUBSYS_04901028
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1198&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1198&CC_0300