[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

3 hours ago, J95 said:

78C way too high/stock clocks, even for a 560M 75W heat sink (proper heat sink 580M/675M 100W #MT1DN), clearly poor contact between the GPU die and heat sink + components (thermal pads) or heat sink radiator incl fan are clogged with dust...GPU fan working correctly?

1- After extracting driver package delete the following folders:

Display.Optimus
Display.Update
GFExperience
GFExperience.NvStreamSrv
GfExperienceService
LEDVisualizer
MS.NET
MSVCRT
Network.Service
NV3DVision
NV3DVisionUSB.Driver
NvVAD
ShadowPlay
ShieldWirelessController
Update.Core

2-  Display.Driver folder, copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf  -> run setup.exe

How can i get the proper heat sink? I never could actually find anyone selling them?  any ideas??  I'll post a pic of the hardware in just a second, when i shut this off and pull the bottom off.  Let me know what you see.  As far as the fan I do believe its working correctly, no way to determine if it's not??  I will pull the heat sink out and clean it out, but pretty sure I did that recently and it's not clogged with any kind of dust (well not enough to stop the fans from doing their jobs).  Any other ideas please let me know.

-diffuse

5 hours ago, J95 said:

78C way too high/stock clocks, even for a 560M 75W heat sink (proper heat sink 580M/675M 100W #MT1DN), clearly poor contact between the GPU die and heat sink + components (thermal pads) or heat sink radiator incl fan are clogged with dust...GPU fan working correctly?

Display.Optimus
Display.Update
GFExperience
GFExperience.NvStreamSrv
GfExperienceService
LEDVisualizer
MS.NET
MSVCRT
Network.Service
NV3DVision
NV3DVisionUSB.Driver
NvVAD
ShadowPlay
ShieldWirelessController
Update.Core

ill work on it more tomorrow.  here's a pic of the bottom of the rig. isn't that the 100w heatsink?  I thought I remembered reading something about the 100w one having 3 heat dissipation pipes.  I cleaned everything out with bottled air (which I've done recently as well) pretty sure they weren't clogged.  I'll probably pull everything tomorrow do a complete re-install new paste etc. check everything again and see how it works, but at this point I'm not convinced its' going to run any cooler.  How can I check to make sure the gpu fan is operationally sound, I've watched it kick on and start running, id say it was somewhere around 60c when I kicked on, but id need to test that again, I only looked at it once while I had the bottom plates off and was loading into a few games to see while monitoring with gpu-z....  lemme know what you think.

-diffuse

AW m17x r3 backside.JPG

Yep, triple pipe heat sink for 560M/660M 75W #J9H7X http://dell-spare-parts.info/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/227538/osCsid/49d66e0a8c7a7062a9ce692ad599a99a

Rearrange thermal pads, look for gaps (against light) then use a thin sheet of paper to check contact...finally apply the thermal paste.

Proper 100W Heat sinks:

675M 100W #MT1DN $55.67 http://dell-spare-parts.info/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/229053/osCsid/49d66e0a8c7a7062a9ce692ad599a99a

680M 100W #9CNMG $54.49 http://dell-spare-parts.info/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/224279/osCsid/49d66e0a8c7a7062a9ce692ad599a99a

Thermal issue resolved, you could try flashing svl7's vBIOS for Clevo GTX 680m (4GB version) improved performance including throttling...

It's already going off-topic...please keep posting here

On 6/2/2016 at 6:53 AM, J95 said:

Display.Optimus
Display.Update
GFExperience
GFExperience.NvStreamSrv
GfExperienceService
LEDVisualizer
MS.NET
MSVCRT
Network.Service
NV3DVision
NV3DVisionUSB.Driver
NvVAD
ShadowPlay
ShieldWirelessController
Update.Core

Hey j95, Fan of your work here..... ^^

I often use Shadowplay for capture and reporting a cheater during online play. Since you told us to delete some folder mention it above, it's this process optional ? I don't need GFE, but I need it to activate my Shadowplay feature. if it's optional, which folder should I keep if I still want to use it ?

Appreciate your help.... ^^

@J95 hey man sorry to bother you but I tried to flash v2 Vbios but I think its says wrong (something something ) and the window close .

Can I reboot now to try in safe mode ? or should I try again ? Do I have to flash STOCK first then flash v2 ? I have v1 at the moment 

GeForce 368.39

*Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
      Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

Requirements:

Flash latest @Prema's v2 980M & 970M (Please consider donating to Prema)

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

• Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package >> delete the following folders as shown below (don't skip this step)  -> run setup.exe  

>>> Keep these folders only <<<

368.39.PNG

INF MOD v368.39

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980 , 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

GeForce 368.39 Win 7/8.1

GeForce 368.39 Win10

PEG MOD >>Alienware & Clevo Laptops<< (copy all included INFs)

nv_dispi.inf_v368.39_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v368.39_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

@Mr. Fox  @power draw...

Optimus Alienware 17 (only).

nvcvi.inf_v368.39_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nvcvi.inf_v368.39_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/3/2016 at 11:03 PM, B4n6k3 said:

I often use Shadowplay for capture and reporting a cheater during online play. Since you told us to delete some folder mention it above, it's this process optional ? I don't need GFE, but I need it to activate my Shadowplay feature. if it's optional, which folder should I keep if I still want to use it ?

Avoid GFE at all costs...instead, use MSI AB v4.2  (see warning above) or Bandicam / Action.

On 6/6/2016 at 10:55 AM, HaloTechnology said:

@J95 hey man sorry to bother you but I tried to flash v2 Vbios but I think its says wrong (something something ) and the window close .

Can I reboot now to try in safe mode ? or should I try again ? Do I have to flash STOCK first then flash v2 ? I have v1 at the moment 

Device manager -> Disable 970M

Latest GPU-Z -> dump current vBIOS  -> check vram '6GB version'.

Copy extracted "GTX970M_6GB_MXM_OC_PM v2" to desktop (GTX 970M 6GB)

Rename .rom "970M.rom"

GTX970M_6GB_MXM_OC_PM v2 -> SHIFT right click "Open command window here"
nvflash.exe -6 970M.rom
Type "Y" twice (to override PCI subsystem ID mismatches)

"Flash successful" -> device manager -> re-enable 970M -> reboot *otherwise* repeat the steps above.

I still don't have download rights so I tried to edit the driver myself.

Im on an Alienware m18x r2.

I'm on stock bios A12. I'm on windows 10 home on uefi with secure boot turned off.

CPU Z sees the card fine and the fan is running.

Following the guide at http://null-bin.blogspot.ca/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

I edited the nvdmi.inf for dell/alienware

My hardware id is:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028&REV_A1

So i put

%NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028% = Section227, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028 

in the right place and added 

NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M"

to the [strings] section

I turned off driver signing.

Deleted all the folders except the ones listed in this post.

Ran setup as admin.

The red unsigned driver windows popped up and I said install anyway.

Then almost immediately the install fails.  It says HD Audio not installed and driver install failed.

Can someone please help me please.  

install all your windows updates and hardware before installing the graphics driver on a fresh install. 

go to custom installation : and just install the driver, and the physx

forget about the HD sound driver for the HMDI unless you use external 7.1 through the HDMI or something. (Isn't that what it does?)

Edited by Lee James Wood

2 minutes ago, Lee James Wood said:

install all your windows updates and hardware before installing the graphics driver on a fresh install. 

Windows is up to date.  No more downloads when I check for updates.

When installing, select option to custom install. Then just install the driver and the phsyx or whatever. see if that works. I never install the geforce bloatware or the hd driver thingy

On 03/06/2016 at 0:03 AM, B4n6k3 said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jtkjy4kp05cau8l/AAA9JJPPLuFZ6R7h0mthQW-Ua?dl=0

go to install, but then custom, and select only what you want to install.  I think everything is there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Lee James Wood said:

When installing, select option to custom install. Then just install the driver and the phsyx or whatever. see if that works. I never install the geforce bloatware or the hd driver thingy

I'm trying to install 368.38.  I''ve deleted everything from the install package but the folders specified.  The option don't show physx.  Just hd audio and driver.

The hd audio driver never gets a chance to try to install. The display driver fails and the install process stops.

If I only check display driver it does the same thing.

BREAKTHROUGH!

I had the wrong Section number.

When I put in %NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028% = Section227, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028

I used the section from a different card not the 13d7.

The section should be 115 116 0r 117. I just entered all three.

%NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028% = Section115, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028 

%NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028% = Section116, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028 

%NVIDIA_DEV.13D7.0550.1028% = Section117, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028 

and the driver installed.

Now to see how well it does on some Division.

7 hours ago, HaloTechnology said:

@J95 I tried your commands but still its closes because of ID board Mismatch ? when should I press Y ? is there something I am missing ?

nvflash.exe -6 970M.Rom <<<<<< correct right ?

Try NVFLASH_WIN_5.218_x64 (password premamod.com)

GTX970M_6GB_MXM_OC_PM_v2

When prompted...type Y  to override PCI subsystem ID mismatches.

On 6/8/2016 at 1:51 AM, Riri-Fifi said:

Hi Vbios 980M 8Go clevo V2 compatible Alienware M17X R4 ? 60hz ?

Yep >> GTX980M_8GB_MXM_OC_PM_v2 <<

@J95 thanks a bunch for pointing me to  Swick1981's unlocked bios and throttling workaround!:frantics:

Just worth mentioning for whoever is reading this thread and having throttle issues on M18xR2, the "GFX switching" (using unlocked bios) on cold boot ACTUALLY works wonders!

Things haven't ran this smooth since the day I bought my machine

Not to mention all the priceless tweaks unlocked :D

The beast is back :super: (M18xR2)

thanks again to @Swick1981 , @Prema & @J95

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95

I tried to flash in dedicated and then reboot safe mode but ..... I get Unable to start service :(  ( though it might be worth noting I don't know why Driver was not recognized in dedicated mode ) is that important ?

It work fine when I switched back to Optimus mode  

Edited by HaloTechnology
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, haXBOXpro said:

@J95 thanks a bunch for pointing me to  Swick1981's unlocked bios and throttling workaround!:frantics:

Just worth mentioning for whoever is reading this thread and having throttle issues on M18xR2, the "GFX switching" (using unlocked bios) on cold boot ACTUALLY works wonders!

Things haven't ran this smooth since the day I bought my machine

Not to mention all the priceless tweaks unlocked :D

The beast is back :super: (M18xR2)

thanks again to @Swick1981 , @Prema & @J95

No problem...:woot:

Try PEG MOD v368.25  ↓↓↓

I am not doing the GFX switch. Just cold boot. I usually cold boot with battery and when windows load, I plug the AC. Recon 3Di disappearing problem is also gone this way, and no throttling with the 368 drivers!!!!

3 hours ago, HaloTechnology said:

@J95

I tried to flash in dedicated and then reboot safe mode but ..... I get Unable to start service :(  ( though it might be worth noting I don't know why Driver was not recognized in dedicated mode ) is that important ?

It work fine when I switched back to Optimus mode  

Glad it all worked out in the end...nope?

• Thumbs Up 2

• J95 pinned this topic