[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

13 hours ago, haXBOXpro said:

Hey buddy just wanted to ask how you went about flashing the BIOS? I looked on the thread and there was no guide for a noob like me lol... Do you need to take the 980 cards out? 

Swicks Bios mod and guide can be found here

I do remember taking my graphics card out to do it, you have to be in legacy mode to boot off the thumb drive to flash, might can try going to the integrated graphics chipset then legacy?

Also an update on the 980m Throttles on the M18XR2.

Kudos go to Infinaris over at Notebookreview for this post, I've tested and confirmed this fixes mine as well.

The throttle for whatever reason only seems to be occuring from a cold boot.
I just turned my laptop on again and checked and it was throttling.
Restarted the computer accessed the bios switched to igfx and rebooted and accessed the bios again immediately and reset to peg....

No throttling on reboot.

From where I'm sitting it looks like toggling the gfx fixes the issue at least until you switch the machine off and then it throttles again so it looks like whatever causes the throttling is a bad setting somewhere. Might be worth seeing if someone were to shut their machine down and switch to igfx before switching off their machine.

Could be possible that the toggle sets the system up to work properly but its a bug from cold boot. Regardless I've rebooted the machine several times and everytime I toggle the gfx to igfx and back to peg it gets rid of the throttling for that session. If I restart the machine there doesnt seem to be any throttling either it seems to be an issue with a cold boot off of peg at least so far as from what i can see.

The question here tho is why does it throttle if booted directly on peg on cold boot but a simple gfx toggle seems to fix the issue?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2016 at 5:43 AM, excaliburike said:

why i cant download the inf file it always says "

Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1

"

You've not been promoted yet. You need to meet the promotion requirements or buy a subscription to Tech Inferno.

GeForce 365.19

*Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
      Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

Requirements:

Due to driver incompatibility (black screens, TDRs, BSODs...) with previous vBIOS versions you must flash latest @Prema's v2 980M & 970M (Please consider donating to Prema)

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

• Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package (delete unnecessary folders as shown below) -> run setup.exe  

>>> Keep these folders only <<<

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

INF MOD v365.19

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

Updated throttle free PEG MODs GTX 980M/970M

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 - Full_Profiles_11_v353.00.txt

GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD Win10 - Full_Profiles_7_v352.84.txt

GeForce 365.19 Win 7/8.1
GeForce 365.19 Win10

nv_dispi.inf_v365.19_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v365.19_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v365.19_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v365.19_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/4/2016 at 8:50 AM, BDogg464 said:

Hello J95, 

It seems your quite the busy modder on this forum, and the golden goose.

I am in the process of preparing for a gpu switch in my M17xR3 from a 6970m to a GTX 780m 4gb.

I have already done a clean re-install of windows 10 with the old 6970m completely removed from the system, so no lingering drivers hanging around. only the onboard graphics (intel hd 3000)

everything in windows is working correctly, drivers, programs, etc with no problems. have osd and command center installed.   Did not install intel rapid storage (due to the fact it keep asking me to replace the sata controllers with old ones) Should I? (480gb ssd main drive/ 1tb 7200 rpm mass storage hdd) and flashed to the A12 unlocked bios with sata tweek.

Was wondering if there is a premade modded driver or do i have to edit them specific to my machine? (was hoping there was already a pre-modded driver i could just download and use)

Seems alot of people are already using 780m's in M17xR3's so what hoping to benefit from that...

Thanks in advance for any assistance or insite you can give

Here you go M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

Instead, use nv_dispi.inf v365.19 above.

---------------------UPDATED---------------------

@82280zx 

Also try hibernation workaround.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've recently flashed Prema's vbios for my single GTX 980M in a M18x R2. I did notice a noticeable increase in gaming performance, but also a pretty significant increase in temperatures. With stock vbios/clocks and a cooling pad at 22C ambient I get 78C locked on the GPU. With Prema's vbios that increases to about 80-82 in demanding games like Rise of the Tomb Raider. Took the cooling pad off and the temperatures went up to 87C with no signs of stopping before I got too worried and pulled the plug. 

I'm definitely starting to suspect something is wrong with my system GPU side (thermal paste? bad fan curve?). What sort of temperatures do you guys get with a 980M? And what would be considered safe? (Prema's bios has throttle protection kick in at 92C and I'm getting dangerously close to that without a cooling pad) 

6 hours ago, J95 said:

Here you go M17x R3 GPU upgrade to gtx 780m

Instead, use nv_dispi.inf v365.19 above.

---------------------UPDATED---------------------

@82280zx 

Also try hibernation workaround.

Thats also a good find, I'll give that a try as well just to see what happens, I tried sleeping it and waking it back up later (unplugged while it sleep, plugged back in then woke it up) and my throttle was back.

7 hours ago, wuruochong said:

I've recently flashed Prema's vbios for my single GTX 980M in a M18x R2. I did notice a noticeable increase in gaming performance, but also a pretty significant increase in temperatures. With stock vbios/clocks and a cooling pad at 22C ambient I get 78C locked on the GPU. With Prema's vbios that increases to about 80-82 in demanding games like Rise of the Tomb Raider. Took the cooling pad off and the temperatures went up to 87C with no signs of stopping before I got too worried and pulled the plug. 

I'm definitely starting to suspect something is wrong with my system GPU side (thermal paste? bad fan curve?). What sort of temperatures do you guys get with a 980M? And what would be considered safe? (Prema's bios has throttle protection kick in at 92C and I'm getting dangerously close to that without a cooling pad) 

The Prema vbios maxes the voltage thats the primary reason for the increased tempretures. The other thing I noticed as well is that when pushing the cards under load it looks like the fans aint kicking up to max power theyre at a setting a little lower. If your concerned about the temps just install HWINFO64. When I saw my temps hitting the mid 80's I used that to manually increase the fans to max speed and the temps levelled out at 77ish instead. Cards wont hit that high a temp anyways unless your really pushing the GPU load anyways but having HWINFO64 installed is also no harm.

how do you mod the nvidia vulkan drivers and would it override with direct3d and opengl drivers?

EDIT: never mind. i see that it is installed as of 365.19.

Edited by thegh0sts

3 hours ago, Infini said:

The Prema vbios maxes the voltage thats the primary reason for the increased tempretures. The other thing I noticed as well is that when pushing the cards under load it looks like the fans aint kicking up to max power theyre at a setting a little lower. If your concerned about the temps just install HWINFO64. When I saw my temps hitting the mid 80's I used that to manually increase the fans to max speed and the temps levelled out at 77ish instead. Cards wont hit that high a temp anyways unless your really pushing the GPU load anyways but having HWINFO64 installed is also no harm.

Yes I've noticed that the GPU fan isn't as responsive to high temperatures than it maybe should be. I'll definitely give HWINFO a try. If you don't mind, do you mind sharing your HWINFO fan settings?

Hi Guys including the Golden Goose aka @J95

Never done this before can I get some help, upgraded my GPU's from GTX680's and tried the Mr Fox drivers but still cant install them without the NVidia cannot fine ETC screen. Can someone help me please. Cards are installed ok, I want to enable SLI.

I have an Alienware M18x R2, Running Windows 10 64Bit

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1618&SUBSYS_05501028

GTX970m.gif

2016-05-14_21-47-13.jpg

2016-05-14_21-47-34.jpg

On 5/14/2016 at 0:35 AM, 82280zx said:

Thats also a good find, I'll give that a try as well just to see what happens, I tried sleeping it and waking it back up later (unplugged while it sleep, plugged back in then woke it up) and my throttle was back.

Temporary throttling fixes, specific drivers, switching RAM XMP profiles, BCLK, 120Hz always PEG + IGP enabled  (120Hz owners never try this, certain brick >>combination of BIOS settings<<)...basically messing w/  BIOS settings that will force F10 shutdown behavior "reset".

Hibernation method HERE and HERE

18 hours ago, BDogg464 said:

j95 do i copy over just the one inf file stated or both inf files that are in the download you directed m1e to?

nv_dispi.inf and nvdmi.inf         or just the nv_dispi.inf?

Yep, copy both files. Please follow instructions above...disabling DSE & deleting the proper folders.

14 hours ago, Jester945271 said:

Hi Guys including the Golden Goose aka @J95

Never done this before can I get some help, upgraded my GPU's from GTX680's and tried the Mr Fox drivers but still cant install them without the NVidia cannot fine ETC screen. Can someone help me please. Cards are installed ok, I want to enable SLI.

I have an Alienware M18x R2, Running Windows 10 64Bit

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1618&SUBSYS_05501028

GTX970m.gif

2016-05-14_21-47-13.jpg

2016-05-14_21-47-34.jpg

Those are G-SYNC 900M's...?

1618=970M

1617=980M

GeForce 365.19 Win10

Installation instructions above, skip vBIOS flashing part...ask @Prema proper vBIOS mod.

On 14/05/2016 at 9:31 AM, wuruochong said:

Hey man

Under no circumstances should your GPU temp exceed 75 degrees (for the 980m) except if you're OC'ing

Mine, with Prema's vBios v2 and in dedicated mode idles at 40 degrees and doesn't exceed ~72 degrees under HEAVY load. For most games, including Rise of Tomb Raider it doesn't exceed 70 degrees. Of course this is with a cooling pad (notepal U3)

Two things to keep in mind when you have a temp problem:

1 - Use quality TIM. I use GE Extreme. Other great TIM's are Grizzly Kryonaut. Use the pea method and you should be fine. Make sure to properly clean the GPU die and heatsink before applying the TIM.

2 - Do NOT screw the heatsink too tight. This has helped me personally in the past and at least one person on another forum. BAsically what happens if you tighten too much the screws is that the heatsink warps and the space between the GPU and heatsink actually INCREASES. So what you want is to leave 1/2mm loose when tightening the screws. In my case it reduced my temps by almost 10 degrees (not kidding...)

Do not worry about vBios. And one recommendation, do NOT OC the 980m. There are countless stories of 980m dying. Many people's opinion is that especially the RAM modules aren't very good and tend to die fairly easily.... Make sure you put extra thermal pads for these by the way. Temp controllers will NOT monitor the temp of the RAM so you won't see their death coming...

@J95 Just an update, I tried the hibernate thing, it didn't work on the M18XR2 it actually made it throttle sooner on resume. I know that when using Swicks bios we go to the video settings in our bios and switch PEG --> IGFX save and exit, enter bios again, switch IGFX --> PEG, it fixes it for the entire session (even reboots etc) until the notebook is unplugged and moved.

On 5/15/2016 at 8:11 PM, J95 said:
On 5/14/2016 at 11:39 AM, BDogg464 said:

j95 do i copy over just the one inf file stated or both inf files that are in the download you directed m1e to?

nv_dispi.inf and nvdmi.inf         or just the nv_dispi.inf?

Yep, copy both files. Please follow instructions above...disabling DSE & deleting the proper folders.

Thanks, havn't tried it yet, but originally (on my first attemp)  i did everything right, just did'nt delete the un-needed folders. Did'nt scroll up enough to see that part.

Thanks for all your help so far. Everything seems to be running great! Sound, and all ports working correctly HDMI and all. gpu runs great, flashed to the unlocked vbios no problem. put a small overclock on it +100/+185 and hav'nt seen temps go over 70. On average when playing (mostly Doom since the install) temps sit around 62-66 under load. Look forward to giving these new drivers a try as they state to have a few fixes in it for Doom.

So these where just released   365.19  WHQL   on  5-13-2016    so same procedure right, just use these drivers/replace two files/Delete unwanted files

Edited by BDogg464

On 13/05/2016 at 6:26 PM, J95 said:

GeForce 365.19

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

• Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package (delete unnecessary folders as shown below) -> run setup.exe  

>>> Keep these folders only <<<

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

INF MOD v365.19

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

GeForce 365.19 Win10

First thank you for being a life saver in the community for more than once!

Unfortunately.. i still get a failed on the graphic driver even tho i follow every walkthrough religiously.

Win10 clean install , M17X R3 , 680m with mod driver that worked flawlessly with 7 , 

I have Disable driver Signing, ran DDU, got the proper inf, kept only the specified folders, ran setup.. 

still FAILED!

Is there one last miracle that can be done ? Something else should i know ?? at this point, screw win10 and when support of win7 stop, i got a 2k$ paperweight! really wish i can give a second life to my Alien with win10 but the situation is behond me at this point!

Edited by DocBurN

On 14/5/2016 at 5:20 PM, wuruochong said:

Yes I've noticed that the GPU fan isn't as responsive to high temperatures than it maybe should be. I'll definitely give HWINFO a try. If you don't mind, do you mind sharing your HWINFO fan settings?

Just check the fan settings and make sure its set to 4500/5000 once temps get above 70'C that should kick the fans up to max power and stabilise your temps at the upper 70s.

On 5/16/2016 at 7:41 PM, BDogg464 said:

Thanks, havn't tried it yet, but originally (on my first attemp)  i did everything right, just did'nt delete the un-needed folders. Did'nt scroll up enough to see that part.

Thanks for all your help so far. Everything seems to be running great! Sound, and all ports working correctly HDMI and all. gpu runs great, flashed to the unlocked vbios no problem. put a small overclock on it +100/+185 and hav'nt seen temps go over 70. On average when playing (mostly Doom since the install) temps sit around 62-66 under load. Look forward to giving these new drivers a try as they state to have a few fixes in it for Doom.

So these where just released   365.19  WHQL   on  5-13-2016    so same procedure right, just use these drivers/replace two files/Delete unwanted files

Correct.  Though occasionally you'll need to repeat IDT steps.

On 5/19/2016 at 3:21 PM, DocBurN said:

First thank you for being a life saver in the community for more than once!

Unfortunately.. i still get a failed on the graphic driver even tho i follow every walkthrough religiously.

Win10 clean install , M17X R3 , 680m with mod driver that worked flawlessly with 7 , 

I have Disable driver Signing, ran DDU, got the proper inf, kept only the specified folders, ran setup.. 

still FAILED!

Is there one last miracle that can be done ? Something else should i know ?? at this point, screw win10 and when support of win7 stop, i got a 2k$ paperweight! really wish i can give a second life to my Alien with win10 but the situation is behond me at this point!

Wrong order.

cmd (Admin)

-> reboot -> F8 -> Safe Mode -> Run DDU -> reboot -> F8  select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers (nv_dispi.inf).

• Thumbs Up 1

• J95 pinned this topic